What's new

What's your ancestry?

I am Redneck. I come from a lineage of moonshiners, murderers, arsonists, and other 'vagrants' of society.

I am a mix of Welsh, German, and English. When I was studying for a summer in England, people I met consistently asked me if I was German. I suppose I look German - whatever that looks like.

I'm an American Heinz 57. A mixture of a bunch of different things and I'm pretty sure nobody in my family knows what they all are, but based solely on surnames I can list English, French, German, possibly Scottish or Irish, but there's certainly more mixed in there than just those.
+1 Plus I was told by my Grandmother there is a pinch of American Indian .

My mother was born in Poland, and came to this country in 1930. Her father preceded the rest of the family, arriving in America in 1923 and working his *** off as an Apprentice Barber so that he could bring the rest of the family over. (He was already a Master Barber back in Poland, but had to start all over again when he emigrated. He became a U.S. Citizen in 1947.)

My father was born in Brooklyn, NY and his parents came from Lithuania and Belarus. They were married in this country. They moved to Washington DC when my father was about 2 years old.

My mother was married once before. She lost her first husband, a Regular Army Sergeant, in WW2. He is buried in France. She remained close with his family, and it was they that introduced her to my father.

There also is another branch of the family that left Poland at the start of WW2, was refused admission to the USA and Canada, and eventually wound up in Cuba. There they lived for the next 20 years, fleeing to the United States just before all hell broke loose in the early '60s.

From my dad's side; all German, as far as I know.
From my mom's side; all Dutch, at least for the past few generations.

My wife's lineage is actually more interesting, with Belgian, French, and Dutch heritage.

She still has relatives in Belgium, where we visit now and then.
Not many contacts really with my German relatives; I probably wouldn't even recognise most of them when walking past.

Last edited:
I have heard that, and I have also heard that Ancestry.com is run by Mormons because genealogy is a big part of their practices. Good idea, I had forgotten about that.

Apparently they maintain a huge genealogy databank in Salt Lake City but any church has access via the internet Before that they would share information stored on microfiche in SLC and share that by mail. I've been told why they consider this subject important to their faith but have forgotten the details.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
What I know- English, Welsh, and Cherokee. I have been wanting to take a DNA test to find out everything

I have ancestors who were Normans, Franks (from France), Angles, Saxons (from England), Swiss German (Allemanisch, Franks, & Saxons) Franks (from Germany), Saxons (from Germany), Gauls (from France), Bavarian, Austrian, Prussian, Hanoverian, Bradenburgisch, Swiss French (Gauls &Franks from the Swiss), Provencal, Navarono, Styrian, and, Helvetic.

Last edited:
I have ancestors who were Normans, Franks (from France), Angles, Saxons (from England), Swiss German (Allemanisch, Franks, & Saxons) Franks (from Germany), Saxons (from Germany), Gauls (from France), Bavarian, Austrian, Prussian, Hanoverian, Bradenburgisch, Swiss French (Gauls &Franks from the Swiss), Provencal, Navarono, Styrian, and, Helvetic.
I am a Saxon (born in the Lower Saxony region) :wink2:

I'm Welsh. Born in Cardiff with Welsh parents and Welsh grandparents. Taff through and through though I've now lived in England longer than I lived in Wales.

Both my children were born in Wales too though their mother is English! I must have lost the plot there, though she was living in Wales at the time.

Pretty boring looking at some of the mixtures above!

Gareth

There are a lot of people living around here that claim a Scotch-Irish ancestry but I've never understood that. Those are obviously different countries/regions today but can someone who mentioned that as part of their ethnicity please explain the connection for me? Thanks.

Top Bottom