What's new

What's your ancestry?

My wife recently fell into the ancestry rabbit hole! It turns out the majority of both our families are descended from just a few places in England, with one particular branch of her family being among the early settlers of the New World. Apparently I am descended (from my Mother's Father's side) from two knights of the Order of the Garter, a father and son, both named William. Among my ancestors are a family who settled in the Long Island area of New York who fought for our independence in the American Revolution, and it's not entirely clear, but my wife may be descended from Clovis, first King of the Franks.
As a history buff, that's some of the coolest heritage I've seen.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Well he said he was beige and vanilla, so I'm assuming he doesn't like random people on the street asking him his heritage because he looks different, probably not so much on an anonymous forum where nobody knows what each other looks like.

I understood what he was implying. It was more of a rhetorical statement. I guess I just don't consider skin tone to be directly related to ancestry.

I when I was learning to talk I learned Latvian as well as English. Because of that, my English words were clearly spoken with an accent. I would often get questioned where I was from (because I spoke different). It still never bothered me when they asked. Just a difference of perspective, I guess.

Paternal grandparents hail from Bari, Italy. Maternal grandparents hail from Palermo, Sicily. There is a touch of Moor in there also.

Both parents born in The United States.

I was born in The United States.

Last edited:
Totally German on the maternal side. Paternal side was that grandfather was 50/50 German/French and my fathers' mother was a Swede. There have also been rumors about Schleswig-Holstein but no proof at this point.

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I'm Afro-American (father's side...Macon, GA), & Iroquois Tribe (mother's side..Pittsburgh, PA), and The Mrs. is Creole (mother's side...Mansura, LA), & Avogel Tribe of Louisiana (father's side...Mansura, LA).
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Every [person] is a quotation from all his [/her] ancestors". Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited:
If something on a forum is 'rude' to you, why would you not just skip over it? Sometimes I find things odd, offensive, or whatever, and I just read another thread. Not much point to pointing it out. If you don't want to answer, then just ... don't answer.

Most of my family lines came to the colonies in the 1600s from England, but my great grandmother's family were latecomers, coming in the 1800s from Switzerland. Other than the English and Swiss, there's some Scottish and French mixed in there if you go back far enough.

All 4 grandparents Russian immigrants at around 1900. Paternal grandfather could have been the tailor Muttlkumzoil from Fiddler on the Roof.

SWMBO paternal grandparents from Galicia. One of those places that was Germany last week, Poland this week and Hungary next Tuesday from noon till dinner.

My wife recently fell into the ancestry rabbit hole! It turns out the majority of both our families are descended from just a few places in England, with one particular branch of her family being among the early settlers of the New World. Apparently I am descended (from my Mother's Father's side) from two knights of the Order of the Garter, a father and son, both named William. Among my ancestors are a family who settled in the Long Island area of New York who fought for our independence in the American Revolution, and it's not entirely clear, but my wife may be descended from Clovis, first King of the Franks.

How come nobody is ever a descendant of this guy?

$iu-2.jpeg

If something on a forum is 'rude' to you, why would you not just skip over it? Sometimes I find things odd, offensive, or whatever, and I just read another thread. Not much point to pointing it out. If you don't want to answer, then just ... don't answer.
+1

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm Scot-Sioux with a ton of sauerkraut.

My ancestors settle in the Kennedy-Karnes City area of south Texas. They looked up in the oaks trees and thought all the moss was sauerkraut.

Last edited:
It's funny, because in the OP I listed my paternal heritage as being part English, but that is only because our last name is Woolford and his family came from a town on the Eastern Shore of Maryland called Woolford. He could be something completely different than English but that was the name his family took because that's where they came from. Really cool because it adds to the mystery of it all. Keep 'em coming, guys. I love reading this stuff. I keep hinting to my family that I want an Ancestry.com membership for my birthday or Christmas but no one listens to me :lol:

It's on my list too. I have a similar situation with my family name. It's English, but it comes directly from a full-blooded Cherokee ancestor.

I am second generation Italian-American. My paternal grandparents are both from Abruzzo, Italy. My paternal grandfather is from Bari and my maternal grandmother's side is from Naples. They all immigrated to the U.S. in the early 1900's and established in Philadelphia.

I am second generation Italian-American. My paternal grandparents are both from Abruzzo, Italy. My paternal grandfather is from Bari and my maternal grandmother's side is from Naples. They all immigrated to the U.S. in the early 1900's and established in Philadelphia.
That's really cool. My grandmother insists we still have relatives in Sicily.

Top Bottom