What's new

What's your ancestry?

I am second generation Italian-American. My paternal grandparents are both from Abruzzo, Italy. My paternal grandfather is from Bari and my maternal grandmother's side is from Naples. They all immigrated to the U.S. in the early 1900's and established in Philadelphia.

Come stai, paisan!?

German (Father) , Puerto Rican (Mother)

Oh, I did not know how deep this was supposed to go, so I will amend. Father was born in Munich, after his parental line, whom had emigrated to the Pennsylvania in the late 1800's moved back to Germany. They again moved back in 1935 my dad was born in 1930 while they were still in Munich. Mother was born in Barranquitas, Puerto Rico in 1925 and her mom was from Seville, Spain and her dad, native to Puerto Rico for generations leading back to the Taino Indians and Columbus and his visit where him and his men impregnated half the island, hence the name Colon (or Columbus) my grandfather's last name. It is like Smith here. Mom lived there until being commissioned in the US Army in the 1948 as a Nurse. Was stationed in Germany during the Korean conflict.

Dad was in a MASH unit and went TDDY to Munich, met my mom on one date, went back to unit could not stop thinking of her, went AWOL back to Munich and asked to marry her. Commander agreed if they both got out of the service the Army would not press charges against my dad. Married and moved to Johnstown, PA, then Danbury,VA and followed my uncle, my dad's brother, to Tucson in late 50's/early 60's I was born here in Tucson Early 60's

So technically 1st generation American

Oh, I did not know how deep this was supposed to go, so I will amend. Father was born in Munich, after his parental line, whom had emigrated to the Pennsylvania in the late 1800's moved back to Germany. They again moved back in 1935 my dad was born in 1930 while they were still in Munich. Mother was born in Barranquitas, Puerto Rico in 1925 and her mom was from Seville, Spain and her dad, native to Puerto Rico for generations leading back to the Taino Indians and Columbus and his visit where him and his men impregnated half the island, hence the name Colon (or Columbus) my grandfather's last name. It is like Smith here. Mom lived there until being commissioned in the US Army in the 1948 as a Nurse. Was stationed in Germany during the Korean conflict.

Dad was in a MASH unit and went TDDY to Munich, met my mom on one date, went back to unit could not stop thinking of her, went AWOL back to Munich and asked to marry her. Commander agreed if they both got out of the service the Army would not press charges against my dad. Married and moved to Johnstown, PA, then Danbury,VA and followed my uncle, my dad's brother, to Tucson in late 50's/early 60's I was born here in Tucson Early 60's

So technically 1st generation American
It could have been as deep as you'd like! Thanks for describing. No kidding; my mother's family is from Johnstown as well. What a small world.

It could have been as deep as you'd like! Thanks for describing. No kidding; my mother's family is from Johnstown as well. What a small world.

Really, wow small world, I remember the incline and my Aunts husband worked for Bethlehem, before it all shut down, I have not been back since 77 just before my dad died, but most of the family has moved on to either Philly or Pittsburgh

Last edited:
Okay, here we go. Dad was born in Edinburgh and lived there five years. Was raised the next ten years in India while his English-born father was a (civil) engineer for the Indian Railways (as opposed to the railway engineer who wears the cool caps). Dad was just "born" in Scotland, and has no Scots accent.
Mom was born in Taylor Township in Detroit to thoroughly Scottish parents. They travelled back to Scotland just in time for the war (???) and was raised in Helensburgh just outside Glasgow. Mom had an accent most had a hard time deciphering.
Dad was born March 4th, 1925. My father in law was born March 13th, 1925, just outside Detroit, about 20 miles and six years from/when my Mom was born.
Cue the Twilight Zone music.
So...I'm part Scots/English, part American/Scots, fully confused/Canadian.

Last edited:
Irish ,English , Basque and German . Both parents born in Canada ,my mom was Black Irish so I guess some Spanish Armada bloodline.

Glenn

My sister-in-law is hugely into genealogy. She has put together a family tree back to the 1600s.

I just laugh, because about 10% of the time the "father" on records is not the actual father.

I'm Italian on my Dad's side (both his parents were born in the Lake Como region of Italy); Swedish on my Mom's side.

Top Bottom