What's new

What's wrong with Mach 3 razors?

General "Blood Thinner" information from a med type.

In medicine the term "blood thinner" is reserved for the medication warfarin (trade name Coumadin) or it's modern substitutes like Pradaxa or Xarelto. These work by decreasing levels of clotting compounds (thrombin) in the blood. Cuts need a compression bandage for 3-4x longer than normal for a clot to form, or sutures plus compression bandage, occasionally a hospital visit for intravenous medication or transfusion. These drugs are heavy duty anticlotting agents.

Some folks are placed on low dose daily aspirin for a variety of reasons, commonly in the setting of heart disease / chest pain. These drugs work by partially inhibiting platelet cell function in the blood. When there is a cut, the platelets get sticky like playdough, sticking to each other at the surface of the cut until they form a partial "plug", then thrombin layers on and forms the permanent clot. Cuts bleed a bit longer and can also use a tight fitting bandage/bandaid at first, but clot does eventually form.

To understand the difference - notice that in the first case platelets form the plug but there is no thrombin to finish the job - bleeding continues. In the second case sooner or later thrombin forms a plug and bleeding stops.

Although some extra attention to cuts is needed in both situations, dangerous bleeding USUALLY only occurs in the setting of thrombin inhibitors, with platelet inhibitors the clotting process is slowed a bit but not prevented. A shaving cut will bleed, but application of alum followed by pressing the cut with a piece of tissue for a few extra minutes USUALLY does the trick. In this setting nicks and weepers USUALLY stop much quicker than cuts.

Hope this info helps. Most people don't think twice about shaving if they regularly take aspirin or drugs like Aleve for back / joint pain. But mention blood thinner with these drugs and folks can get scared a bit too much.

PS - the blood does not actually get thin!!!

Last edited:
You do not need to go with the Gillette hype. Your choice. You can still buy (non-Gillette) Trac II cartridges in many drugstores. For 20 to 40 cents per cartridge, depending on where you buy them.

And still I bet that in five posts from here, someone is going to moan about the price of cartridges .....
(or about Gillette's marketing)

Yes they will. Probably because this thread is about a Gillette razor.

The interesting question of course is; if WS managed to shake Gillette by introducing a superior product (stainless steel blades), why doesn't someone disrupt Gillette nowadays then, if DE blades are so much better than cartridges.

Yes, there are several other manufacturers, but they all capitalise on the cartridge concept, by selling Trac II / Atra style cartridges of which the patents expired years ago. But nobody comes with a killer shaving innovation that blows away Gillette.

The power of money? Or are they just so much better for the average man?

I think -- like it or not -- that most men value convenience and disposability over quality. Multiblade razors give an easy shave. Some give a very good shave. For most, that's good enough. Having to care for a nice razor -- even a $30 one -- combined with the mild learning curve necessary for DE shaving is enough to make the average man a cartridge or disposable shaver. Heck, I can't even convince my grown son to go DE. He likes the Fusion. Says DE is too fussy. And between the Fusion and a cheap electric, he uses no more than 8 to 10 cartridges a year. Only my wife seems to have noticed that up close, she can feel the difference in my shave now. And she's rather anxious to be sure that no one else gets the chance to make that judgment.

I think -- like it or not -- that most men value convenience and disposability over quality. Multiblade razors give an easy shave. Some give a very good shave. For most, that's good enough. Having to care for a nice razor -- even a $30 one -- combined with the mild learning curve necessary for DE shaving is enough to make the average man a cartridge or disposable shaver. Heck, I can't even convince my grown son to go DE. He likes the Fusion. Says DE is too fussy. And between the Fusion and a cheap electric, he uses no more than 8 to 10 cartridges a year.
^This. I find it hard to fault the reasoning, and it's why many members here refer to DE shaving as a hobby rather than a grooming necessity.

And in the end, there's certain little red bumps my neck gets, and some cheek redness that lasts many hours when I use anything newer than the Sensor, or some of the disposables. For whatever reason, not one of my DE's gives me this. So if for no other reason than just to lighten my appearance and ease the shave, DE and the odd Trac shave here and there is all I need. Do what works for you're skin is what I'm saying, not necessarily what works for you.

Top Bottom