What's new

What's the dish on the Lamy 2000?

Kevan, I was a little nervous the first time I opened up my Lamy 2000, but once you see how it's done (and how it goes back together again), it's really pretty simple and logical. You can't beat that efficient German engineering. Unscrewing the nib assembly and using a syringe to blow water up into the cylinder makes even a difficult cleanup a snap!

Yeah, I like that you can clean/maintenance the 2000 (and apparently the 823 as well, though Pilot says no) should you wish to. Montblanc should learn from Lamy in this regard.

Yeah, I like that you can clean/maintenance the 2000 (and apparently the 823 as well, though Pilot says no) should you wish to. Montblanc should learn from Lamy in this regard.
I actually have a Montblanc 14 that comes apart in much the same manner as the Lamy 2000 (right down to the cap clutch ring that is easy to lose):w00t: Both of those pens came from the Sixties, and I don't know which came first.

But Larry is right, there really isn't much to worry about in taking the L2k apart and then putting it back together.

I was under the impression that Montblancs had to be sent away for maintenance and you couldn't take it apart yourself, need specialized tools, etc. Guess I heard wrong, or does that only apply to the 149?

Last edited:
I was under the impression that Montblancs had to be sent away for maintenance and you couldn't take it apart yourself, need specialized tools, etc. Guess I heard wrong, or does that only apply to the 149?
I have a 14 and a 149. The 14 is straight forward on maintenance; same basic concept as taking apart a Lamy 2000...it can basically be done with your hands. On the other hand, the 149 requires special tools to be taken apart. I had mine serviced by sending it in.

So...I needn't have worried a whit after all. The 2000 in Fine came today, and it's a true fine. Same width as my Bock Fine nib on a kit pen I have, and just a hair wider than a Pilot 14K fine.

It's also smooth as ice. I have Waterman Mysterious blue in there, which is only a medium-wet ink overall. Makes me wish I had filled it with one of my Iroshizuku inks. I'd probably be in pen heaven. And also makes me kinda wish I had gone for the Medium!:laugh:

So...I needn't have worried a whit after all. The 2000 in Fine came today, and it's a true fine. Same width as my Bock Fine nib on a kit pen I have, and just a hair wider than a Pilot 14K fine.

It's also smooth as ice. I have Waterman Mysterious blue in there, which is only a medium-wet ink overall. Makes me wish I had filled it with one of my Iroshizuku inks. I'd probably be in pen heaven. And also makes me kinda wish I had gone for the Medium!:laugh:
Congratulations on a great choice:thumbup1: a L2K is one of, if not the best, bang for your buck out there imho.

Congrats, Kevan. It's a wonderful pen. As long as you're not looking for a lot of flashy bling, that is! :thumbup1:
I have a few unique pens that could qualify as flashy; if I ever get an Edison that'll be flashy too. And the Jinhaos invariably catch attention. But I like the 2000 a lot. I don't own a Merkur Futur, but I think this is like the Merkur Futur of fountain pens: despite being 48 years old, it looks like a futuristic evolution of the fountain pen, and also classic at the same time, stylish in its own right.

I dumped the Waterman ink back in the bottle and changed inks because I wanted to test just how smooth it could be. It flushed very easily...I was pleased. Then I loaded it with Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine (because I didn't need yet another pen loaded with Kon Peki!). Good lord, what a slick writing experience! Slick on Rhodia and Clairefontaine, and then the big test...my Japanese papers (which I use more these days). And it performed perfectly on Apica, Maruman, Kokuyo, Tomoe River, and Life Noble Note paper.

So yes, I love it. I just wish it came in different colors like the rest of the 2000 range. But the feel of the Makrolon is great. It reminds me a lot of my handmade pen from India made from unfinished ebonite. It also smells a bit like it too.

I have a 2000 Fine arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to it!
I predict that you will. Just expect a fairly narrow sweet-spot and, assuming your nib isn't wonky, I'm sure you'll love it.

Do the soapy water/regular water flushing thing before you fill it. I know that's recommended for all new pens, but especially for this one, you need to. There's traces of Lamy Blue ink inside from the factory.

Received my Lamy 2000 F. Was dry and scratchy out of the box. Did some nib adjustment and now it is much wetter, but still on the scratchy side. Not nearly as smooth as my Safari F unfortunately. The tines seem pretty well aligned under my 10x loupe. Have it filled with Lamy Black. Almost sent it back but decided I will work with it a while. IMO should not have to do that for a pen in that price range. And, yes, it does have a small sweet spot.

Received my Lamy 2000 F. Was dry and scratchy out of the box. Did some nib adjustment and now it is much wetter, but still on the scratchy side. Not nearly as smooth as my Safari F unfortunately. The tines seem pretty well aligned under my 10x loupe. Have it filled with Lamy Black. Almost sent it back but decided I will work with it a while. IMO should not have to do that for a pen in that price range. And, yes, it does have a small sweet spot.

I would Try a different ink before you give up on it.
I got Lamy blue-black out of the traveling ink box; it worked great in several of my pens, but not so great in my 2000. Normally my 2000 works smooth and effortlessly, but not with that ink.

I would Try a different ink before you give up on it.
I got Lamy blue-black out of the traveling ink box; it worked great in several of my pens, but not so great in my 2000. Normally my 2000 works smooth and effortlessly, but not with that ink.

Any suggestions on inks that work well in your 2000? I'll give that a try.

Hmmm....that's unfortunate. Actually, I have been thinking for the last day or two that I should send mine back and get a medium nib. I love this pen, no question about it...but I was kinda expecting it to be closer to a medium since that's what everyone said about the 2000. I just didn't want it to be crazy broad. It's a very smooth nib but I have so many fine pens that I figured I'd go for a really wet medium for this one.

But if the nibs are such a crapshoot, I don't know if I should take the chance. I got lucky with a good nib...maybe I shouldn't tempt fate.

Also, it's funny that you say that Lamy blue-black isn't working with yours, since that's what Lamy is putting in the new 2000 gift sets. :laugh:

Certainly no expert. I just got my 2000 a week ago. The one and only ink I've tried so far is Noodler's Libery's Elysium and it's working fine so far. Starts right up after sitting a couple days. Mine's an EF nib and it suits me just fine. Only thing I've noticed is it's got a fairly small sweet spot and if I let it roll off that even a little, I'll get skipping. But if I do my part, it's a great pen.

Only thing I've noticed is it's got a fairly small sweet spot and if I let it roll off that even a little, I'll get skipping. But if I do my part, it's a great pen.
Mine does too. Apparently that's a feature of this pen. But I have some practice with sweet-spot nibs since all italics have them too.

The 2000 has displaced my Pilots for daily writing for now. That's no small feat. I also read the massive 5-part review of the pen over at FPN...fascinating to know the history behind it.

Top Bottom