What's new

What's the dish on the Lamy 2000?

So I'm at the point in my pen collection that I'm winding down. I literally have everything I want, and aside from maybe an Edison one day, or if I really feel the need for an urushi lacquer pen (probably not), I think I'm done. The one glaring hole in my collection is the Lamy 2000. Every pen collector is supposed to at least try it, right?

I've just never owned a Lamy because the Safari's design never appealed to me. But the 2000 is a different animal. It looks amazing and people either purr over it (80%) or complain about it (20%).

Most of my collection is made up of cheapies, some vintage, and the gold nibs I have are mostly Pilots. Because, like vintage Parker and Esterbrook, they just work, and they're awesome. I know that a good steel nib is every bit as good as a 14k nib, but I loooooove the spring of a Pilot Soft Fine and Soft Fine-Medium, and those nibs suit my writing a great deal. And in general, my writing looks best with fine nibs, although I have one custom medium Cursive Italic (which I love) and a few medium Jinhaos.

So, are the Lamy 2000 nibs still on the wide side? I know at one point not too long ago, their nibs were so inconsistent that people would get EF's that looked like M's and F's that looked like B's, etc.

Basically, I can't decide between a Fine or Medium. I like juicy nibs but I don't want something too broad, and I don't want an EF because I have enough Japanese pens that fill that niche. Unless the EF looks like a Japanese M....in which case that would be perfect :)

Is it worth looking into or should I take a pass on it?

Last edited:
I guess it really is a crapshoot, then. Reviews at Goulet suggest that some EF's are true EF's, some are like Mediums; Recent reviews and pictures at the FPN show that some Fines truly are Fines and the post-2011 L2K pens have the size issue under control, but you guys suggest it isn't so....

*sigh* I'll take the weekend to decide then. Then I'll probably order a Fine on faith.

I know nothing about post 2011 Lamy 2000 pens ... mine is over 25 years old (and still going strong).

One warning ... mine doesn't like flying. It is one of the few pens that actually spits ink during the flight.

I got a medium nib on my L2K, but it was way too broad for everyday writing. I was able to find a guy with a Fine nib who wanted broader, so we swapped. The Fine nib writes like a Medium, which is great for me. If I had small writing, I'd probably go with an Extra Fine.

I have a Vanishing Point in medium and an L2K in fine. I would say the 2 lay down a similar size line. The L2k nib is not as springy as the VP nib though. Hope that helps, based on your experience with Pilot nibs.

I've got one with a "fine" nib. I do like the line width, but yes, I'd say it's broader than a Pilot fine-medium, perhaps even than a Pilot medium. My writing tends to be on the large size if I'm not writing on tiny paper and don't need to worry about it, but I can use this in my little pocket notebook, where I write smaller.

I have a 2k with an extra fine nib and it lays down a wet line so that it looks like a medium-fine. I'm not crazy about the pen just because I don't really like metal sections and my fingers seem to slide down as I write for long periods of time. This results in having to grip the pen more tightly than I like.

I have a Lamy 2000 that is used every day. I am not going to comment on the nib width issue. There are so many opinions out there a new buyer can only hope for the best.

Your best bet is to drive to a store that sells them. Try them out and pick the one you like.

If that isn't possible, contact a reputable dealer via the phone. I did this with Goulet Pens and got great advice from their service people. Goulet pens also has the ability to let you look at the line laid down by a pen you are familiar with. This lets you compare that line to the line laid down by another pen.

I really like my 2000. It feels great in my hand and has a huge ink reservoir. It lays down a wet line and doesn't skip.

Have fun!

I have been contemplating the same thing these last few days! From what is being said, here, I would have to go with an EF nib as I prefer true F nibs.

Good luck to the OP.

I have a medium, nib, Lamy 2000. I would say it is a little more broad than most mediums. It is a very smooth writer. On the other hand I had a 2000 with a fine nib. It did NOT lay down a medium size line and for me did not write smoothly. I gave it to my daughter, who likes fines, and she is very pleased with it.

Ron I

I'm insulted that you would even admit to not having a LAMY 2000. As I type, the Admin. Is discussing whether to ban or suspend you. Young man, you need to take some time and think about what you said. Are you even aware of all the new collectors that won't understand the importance of the Lamy 2000. Oh yeah, I don't own a LAMY 2000 either.

Well, this is what I get for taking the weekend to think it over. Now I'm thinking of just splurging for a Pilot Custom 823 in Medium. I know the nibs, it's a piston vacuum-filler, and I love Pilot.

Or get the Lamy 2000 Fine now and the Custom 823 later. Because I know I'll get both anyway at some point.

Damn this hobby....:laugh:

Well, this is what I get for taking the weekend to think it over. Now I'm thinking of just splurging for a Pilot Custom 823 in Medium. I know the nibs, it's a piston vacuum-filler, and I love Pilot.

Or get the Lamy 2000 Fine now and the Custom 823 later. Because I know I'll get both anyway at some point.

Yep, get both. You know you want to.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

... Pilot Custom Heritage 92 ... piston just like the Lamy ... 14k Pilot nib ...

... Pilot Custom Heritage 92 ... piston just like the Lamy ... 14k Pilot nib ...
Yeah, but I already have a Custom Heritage 91 (soft-fine-medium) and 74 (soft-fine), each with standard #5 size Pilot nibs. Sure, they aren't piston fill, but the 92's colors don't appeal to me. The 823 has a #15 nib and that awesome amber resin. That will be my last-ever Pilot pen when I get it.

The Lamy (which I still haven't decided on) just has that awesome, iconic design which is greatly appealing. Piston fillers hold a greater amount of ink and most more-expensive pen models have this filling system (giving people the impression that it's "better"), but it's also a bear to clean unless you're brave enough to disassemble your pen. If you don't, be prepared to spend half an hour twisting the piston knob drawing up and expelling water, or so I understand it. That's why I've been happy with mostly C/C pens to this point. I do have a Sheaffer touchdown filler, but so far all I've used in it is Sheaffer blue, so I don't spend so much time flushing it.

I've seen Stephen Brown's video on how to disassemble and re-assemble a Lamy 2000, which would allow for thorough cleaning, and I've seen Brian Goulet's video on how to disassemble an 823, though Pilot warns against that, as do some 823 owners on the FPN. It won't scare me away from both pens, though.

Top Bottom