What's new

What's the concensus on aluminum razors and potential health risks?

I have rarely used antiperspirant because of the aluminum (only on flights, job interviews, and extremely stressful business meetings), but when I was being treated for skin cancer I did ask the dermatologist about the link between aluminum and alzheimers in relation to antiperspirants. Not possible, according to her.

But if you ate TV dinners cooked at 400 degrees back when they came in aluminum trays, you have some residual accumulation in your body. So that's bad. Who knew my diet of meatloaf and enchiladas as a teenager/young adult caused more than flatulence.

Her opinion on chelation therapy: Don't bother, it's not effective enough to make any real difference.

I have rarely used antiperspirant because of the aluminum (only on flights, job interviews, and extremely stressful business meetings), but when I was being treated for skin cancer I did ask the dermatologist about the link between aluminum and alzheimers in relation to antiperspirants. Not possible, according to her.

But if you ate TV dinners cooked at 400 degrees back when they came in aluminum trays, you have some residual accumulation in your body. So that's bad. Who knew my diet of meatloaf and enchiladas as a teenager/young adult caused more than flatulence.

Her opinion on chelation therapy: Don't bother, it's not effective enough to make any real difference.
Yeah, I was referring to aluminum cooking pans and cookware, which is what they warned about back in the 70's and 80's.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
They used to refer to aluminum pots and cookware and possible links.
And including aluminum foil in which often food is packed in, like left overs, sandwiches etc.
I doubt using a razor would have a big impact, I believe the ingestion of Al is the bad part.

I’ve been weary of aluminium and its nasty effects for years and I avoid it like the plague.

Just a couple tips that I don’t think have been covered yet.
1. If you use a Macbook you might be absorbing it via your wrists when typing so an alternative keyboard might be preferable.
2. To keep Alzheimers away apparently regularly playing racket sports and/or going ballroom dancing provides sufficient brain bloodflow and neuroplasticity via moderate and complex movements and coordination. Also the social aspect they tend to provide make them invaluable anti-Alz. activities.

If the razor bothers you that much maybe go for one that doesn’t contain aluminium.

Seriously, though: aren't most aluminum razors anodized? I'm thinking Razorock, Henson, Karve...those all come in a rainbow of colors, and aren't some others Cerakoted?

I'm no expert, but wouldn't the anodizing or coating mitigate the transfer of aluminum molecules through the facial dermis?

I'm actually more worried about the aluminum in the alum blocks we use.. I read an article once about the possible dangers.. But I haven't been able to find the article or study or whatever it was.. I also found some information contradicting the dangers..This was ages ago..

Image 12-29-23 at 8.11 PM.png

Reactions: tm3

Legion

Staff member
Alum blocks contain aluminum sulfate..this research states drinking it can cause alzeimers.. What about aluminum absorbed through the skin? Hate to derail this thread..shouldn't we be worried about this?

If you look hard enough, there will be "potential" health risks in using or consuming just about everything. Every day you expose yourself to hundreds of chemicals, both natural and man made, and most of them could have a negative effect in very extreme or exceptional circumstances. This includes chemicals in the air we breath, the water we drink and bathe in, the food we eat...

It's like the people who say "I only cook my bacon in cast iron skillets, because aluminium cookware is bad for your health." Dude! The bacon is going to do you in long before the aluminium, trust me.

I avoid aluminum cookware, deodorant and generally any aluminium containing foods.

Using a solid aluminium razor I wouldn't think poses any health risks.
I don't use them simply because I dislike lightweight razors.

Alum blocks contain aluminum sulfate..this research states drinking it can cause alzeimers.. What about aluminum absorbed through the skin? Hate to derail this thread..shouldn't we be worried about this?

Alum doesn't get taken up by adipose cells, therefore doesn't get absorbed like the type of aluminium (chlorohydrate) in deodorants.

This is also why alum doesn't stop perspiration, it only inhibits the adour causing bacteria. This very antimicrobial property is why alum has been the aftershave of choice for such a long time.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The paper already states

"Ingestion
Minor ingestions (dilute solutions; mildly acidic or neutral):
1. Gastrointestinal decontamination is unnecessary.
2. Symptomatic and supportive measures only."

"Distribution

More than 90 per cent of absorbed aluminium is bound to transferrin
which does not cross the blood-brain barrier readily. The remaining
ten per cent is associated with low molecular weight complexes, such
as citrate, which can accumulate in brain tissue. In the body
aluminium is stored mainly in bone and liver."

Well, the aluminum razor is a solid block, while the alum block gets dissolved, but most of it is calcium, it isn't a full block of aluminum.

To quote Paracelsus: The dose makes the poison - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dose_makes_the_poison
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison."

Time to stop worrying.
Maybe don't eat an alum block a day to keep sanity astray. :)

Legion

Staff member
The paper already states

"Ingestion
Minor ingestions (dilute solutions; mildly acidic or neutral):
1. Gastrointestinal decontamination is unnecessary.
2. Symptomatic and supportive measures only."

"Distribution

More than 90 per cent of absorbed aluminium is bound to transferrin
which does not cross the blood-brain barrier readily. The remaining
ten per cent is associated with low molecular weight complexes, such
as citrate, which can accumulate in brain tissue. In the body
aluminium is stored mainly in bone and liver."

Well, the aluminum razor is a solid block, while the alum block gets dissolved, but most of it is calcium, it isn't a full block of aluminum.

To quote Paracelsus: The dose makes the poison - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dose_makes_the_poison
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison."

Time to stop worrying.
Maybe don't eat an alum block a day to keep sanity astray. :)
Maybe eating an alum block a day will help build up immunity. Then you can use all the aluminium razors you want. It's science (done my own research.)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

If you are worried about don’t use it would be my suggestion. Trans fats, sugar, salt, nsaids, nitrates, tobacco, alcohol etc. all might have detrimental effects to health. It’s up to the user to weigh these possible effects against the benefits of using them.

But to answer your question from a personal standpoint , no, you shouldn’t be worried about it, unless you are making Alum tea everyday and enjoy the burning to your mouth and esophagus ;).

Top Bottom