What's new

What's the concensus on aluminum razors and potential health risks?

For years we've all heard about aluminum and its possible links to dementia/Alzheimer's, even though I've never heard of any hard proof of this. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I am more worried about acesulfame K and aspartame in Coke Zero killing me than the aluminum in my razor through skin contact.

But well, deo sprays using aluminum have largely disappeared by now as the aluminum can enter the body through micro injuries that happen after shaving etc..

But your aluminum razor is a solid piece. You might cause and shave over a bloody cut now and then with it.
Workers with the so called aluminum lung, exposed to aluminum dust, developed pneumoconiosis but no Alzheimers. Most even survived long despite their condition to possibly suffer it, I would like to add.

I would say eating french fries and thus acrylamide might be way more damaging. I regularly drink nerve poison (Cognac, wine, beer) that is likely more damaging than an aluminum razor.

Suggestion: I see no reason to worry about this if there are way more other sources and ways to poison yourself. But if you want to make totally sure, Titanium and Steel are more to my personal liking anyways. :) Though many Ti-razors are made of a Titanium-Aluminum-alloy (Ti-6 Al 4V e.g.).

Thinking more about it... copper and its alloys, such as brass, bronze and copper-nickel, are inherently antimicrobial. That's why they made such great door knobs in hospitals.

For years we've all heard about aluminum and its possible links to dementia/Alzheimer's, even though I've never heard of any hard proof of this. Can anyone shed some light on this?
I've poured over scientific papers and poked into some of my own datasets and my impression is it's still a big question mark. There's more evidence for a link than some think — it tends to be controversial and there's much more out there than the examples used to argue against an association. But the evidence of a causal role for aluminum for most people is also not very strong. Basically there's evidence of an association but theres not really any good evidence of a causal role of aluminum per se.

There are some exceptions. If you're on dialysis or something I might worry about it more, for example.

In the grand scheme of things razors are probably among the things to be least concerned about, especially if they're anodized or coated.

However, my general thinking about it is if it causes you worry with something like razors, it's not worth it. Life's too short and there's lots of other options. If you're not worried about it, probably not worth starting to worry about it.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I don’t think an aluminum razor poses a risk. Is it possible ingested or absorbed forms of aluminum are harmful? It’s fun to have that fear, but you can go to pubmed and look for studies on humans (and only humans) to confirm or possibly dismiss those fears (again, only human studies matter and everyone trying to warn you with studies on other animals is some mishmash of imbecile and swindler even if it’s a self-swindle).

Aluminum from Alberta and Quebec generally costs more than aluminum from Ontario, so that’s a fiscal health factor.

Not a concern at all. Thr aluminum isn't leaching out of the razor into your skin, it's too busy being the substance of the razor.

The aluminum in antiperspirant is in a different form and it is being left on your skin. There are no parallels between antiperspirants and razors.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The internet claims the compounds aluminum chlorohydrate and aluminum zirconium – the stank-preventers in conventional anti-perspirants – are more readily absorbed into the human body than potassium aluminum sulfate.

Like, it’s all aluminum, but the alum that judges how well a shave went supposedly is locked in particles too large to chug into one’s blood stream, yeet itself past the blood/brain barrier, and make all of one’s brain cells throw away their myelin sheathes and walk around nakey.

I‘m not saying any of it is false or true, only that’s what I’ve been led to understand by people that parrot the “aluminum pit stick bad; aluminum-free pit crystal made of alum good” are trying to say.

Assuming we actually can withstand alum (with my preferred anti-perspirants removed from the discussion altogether) – assuming alum doesn’t go into a weeper and then cause us to get very bad, then it’s likely aluminum razors are even safer and should be seen as A#1 okay for holding razor blades and letting us cavalierly ignore our much worse health-impacting behaviors and drive ourselves crazy about the layer of PTFE on every “stainless” DE blade and what that could be doing to our health whilst we shave whiskers away in our new, aluminum safety razors.

Not really something I worry about. Even if I was shaving daily with an aluminum razor, the amount of time I come into contact with it would still be incredibly small.

316L
1703881823908.png

BFX

Mrs Ladd and I have been ingesting aluminium for years, terrific fun.

We use the British army mess tin set, which are basically 2 rectangular box like recepticles, with folding lids.

My set is a 2006 version, stamped TOC Ltd, (Tools Of Coventry) and 06. Mrs Ladds' are a venerable 1991 set, probably a 1st Gulf War vet.

Here they are
IMG_20231229_211608336.jpg

We use them camping on average 6-7 full weeks a year, and they work great. They also can be used as a great individual Dutch oven. Just put the big lid over the smaller, top with coals, put in coals and presto.

Here is Mrs Ladd's excellent sausage batter pudding, made in the Dutch oven setup
IMG_20210420_212053596.jpg

Now the TOC website states these mess tins, which still have a MOD contract (like your DoD) are food grade. This appears to be Aluminium 5052

Aluminum 5052 (UNS A95052) in Coil Form​

Description

"Aluminum alloy 5052 contains nominally 2.5% magnesium, 0.25% chromium and has good workability, medium static strength, high fatigue strength, good weldability, and very good corrosion resistance, especially in marine atmospheres. It also has the low density and excellent thermal conductivity similar to other aluminum alloys. Alloy 5052 can be hardened by cold work and is not heat treatable to higher strength. Since the alloy spontaneously ages at room temperature immediately after cold work, all flat rolled mill products are supplied with stable properties using a stabilization treatment. This is usually achieved by a stabilization thermal treatment, either a low temperature thermal treatment or as a result of heat introduced during rolling, which results in the H3x tempers.

This grade is used in a wide range of atmospheric environments, including food and architectural applications and in many marine environments. The magnesium content is low enough that it does not suffer from the stress corrosion cracking that can affect alloys with more than about 3.5% Mg. Alloy 5052 is also used for consumer electronics casings, notebook computers and televisions."

There has never been any claims or controversies about TOC mess kits, or the previous contractors (they have been an issue item since at the least the 1950s) or any links to Alzheimers as far as I have heard.

I can only suggest Aluminium 5052 would be the most stress free alloy to use for someone wishing to have an aluminium razor while negating any imagined health risks.

All in all I would echo the general consensus of the thread that any links to aluminium and human health risks seem tenuous and still unproven, and it's better to trust what has not been found (despite this rumbling on for maybe 5 decades now)

Last edited:
Mrs Ladd and I have been ingesting aluminium for years, terrific fun.

We use the British army mess tin set, which are basically 2 rectangular box like recepticles, with folding lids.

My set is a 2006 version, stamped TOC Ltd, (Tools Of Coventry) and 06. Mrs Ladds' are a venerable 1991 set, probably a 1st Gulf War vet.

Here they are
View attachment 1771857

We use them camping on average 6-7 full weeks a year, and they work great. They also can be used as a great individual Dutch oven. Just put the big lid over the smaller, top with coals, put in coals and presto.

Here is Mrs Ladd's excellent sausage batter pudding, made in the Dutch oven setup
View attachment 1771858

Now the TOC website states these mess tins, which still have a MOD contract (like your DoD) are food grade. This appears to be Aluminium 5052

Aluminum 5052 (UNS A95052) in Coil Form​

Description

"Aluminum alloy 5052 contains nominally 2.5% magnesium, 0.25% chromium and has good workability, medium static strength, high fatigue strength, good weldability, and very good corrosion resistance, especially in marine atmospheres. It also has the low density and excellent thermal conductivity similar to other aluminum alloys. Alloy 5052 can be hardened by cold work and is not heat treatable to higher strength. Since the alloy spontaneously ages at room temperature immediately after cold work, all flat rolled mill products are supplied with stable properties using a stabilization treatment. This is usually achieved by a stabilization thermal treatment, either a low temperature thermal treatment or as a result of heat introduced during rolling, which results in the H3x tempers.

This grade is used in a wide range of atmospheric environments, including food and architectural applications and in many marine environments. The magnesium content is low enough that it does not suffer from the stress corrosion cracking that can affect alloys with more than about 3.5% Mg. Alloy 5052 is also used for consumer electronics casings, notebook computers and televisions."

There has never been any claims or controversies about TOC mess kits, or the previous contractors (they have been an issue item since at the least the 1950s) or any links to Alzheimers as far as I have heard.

I can only suggest Aluminium 5052 would be the most stress free alloy to use for someone wishing to have an aluminium razor while negating any imagined health risks.

All in all I would echo the general consensus of the thread that any links to aluminium and human health risks seem tenuous and still unproven, and it's better to trust what has not been found (despite this rumbling on for maybe 5 decades now)
you forgot to post the recipe

Top Bottom