What's new

What would your "stranded on an island" shave kit be?

This is the situation. They lost your luggage on your flight and you are completely without your dopp bag. You have no shave gear with you. There you are in your hotel and you have a 2-day worth of stubble and you have an executive meeting tomorrow morning. You do not know if your bag will be returned to you in time. What do you do?

There are a few stores around you within walking distance. Some simpler convenience stores and a dollar store. Now this will of course vary depending on which country you are in. What would you get given that you will spend the better of a week at this location?

Personally I would go for:
Razor: BIC Sensitive Disposable Razor Pack
Shave Lubrication: Cremo Shaving Cream if available. If not, Barbasol foam can
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic

That’s not really a desert island question. It’s really, in your words, a “lost luggage” locally-available question. The answers would be very different.

I kind of like the Bic Metal, but I think it’s less common than the Sensitive, and the springiness bugs me.

I don’t love Cremo in hard water. It leaves a lot of very sticky scum. Maybe you won’t care for a week with disposables though. The Aveeno Sensitive gel is pretty good and not too difficult to find.

I didn't come to DE shaving because of any problems with using cartridges or problems with using canned gel or any other products. I came to DE shaving 1) out of curiosity, 2) because after initial investment it's cheaper, and 3) because of the old school "cool factor."

So, to answer the question, I'd use whatever I could find and probably be fine with it.

A desert, indeed.

My first shave kit resembled the photos below. Things can only improve from there.

I do still use a handle and cream, so it would probably assume that general format.

IMG_6659.jpegIMG_6660.jpeg

UGH!

I would look at the nearby stores and come up with the best I could find. Perhaps, something along these lines:
Razor/blade: Ideally KCG or another DE plus a blade option I recognize, otherwise a two/three blade cart.
Canned goo: Ideally a brand I remember from the olden days.
AS: either Pinaud clubman or Skin Bracer.

At least I would be ‘presentable.’

UGH!

I would look at the nearby stores and come up with the best I could find. Perhaps, something along these lines:
Razor/blade: Ideally KCG or another DE plus a blade option I recognize, otherwise a two/three blade cart.
Canned goo: Ideally a brand I remember from the olden days.
AS: either Pinaud clubman or Skin Bracer.

At least I would be ‘presentable.’
Whatever you do avoid those "assured for men" DE razors from Dollar Tree. I have heard some horror stories regarding those. I have two of them that I picked up during one of my worst SAD episodes and I have not bee brave enough to try one out.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I used a Bic and canned shave foam for many years and the shaves were not great. Since then I have learned to use a variety of DE, AC, SE, and straight razors. Even now I occasionally use a Bic Metal and Barbasol and I get a great shave. The Bic will shave me as close as any razor I have ever used except perhaps my Feather AC DX. It is technique that is most important I think, not the equipment as long as it is fit for purpose. So, my choice would be a Bic Metal and Barbasol.

I used a Bic and canned shave foam for many years and the shaves were not great. Since then I have learned to use a variety of DE, AC, SE, and straight razors. Even now I occasionally use a Bic Metal and Barbasol and I get a great shave. The Bic will shave me as close as any razor I have ever used except perhaps my Feather AC DX. It is technique that is most important I think, not the equipment as long as it is fit for purpose. So, my choice would be a Bic Metal and Barbasol.
Spot On Van Gerwen GIF by VNOM Technisch Uitzendbureau | We get the job done

I think you are dead on. After starting DE shaving, going back using the cheap disposable ones I can get great shaves.

They can lose my checked baggage (even if my large dopp is in it on “this trip”), because I have a small dopp in my carry-on. So, Speick stick, Omega 599/40033, maybe both, and a Trac II for shaving. It’ll also fit a couple straights if I’m not going through TSA. I’ve worked out of it for a month before.

If I had to… and I had to shave? I’d grab a whatever disposable, and likely bath soap.

Last edited:

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I would go for the specs of compatible razor like "gillette trac 2" "schick super ii" which were once known and still exist today in the low priced consumer market.

In fact, I always have a "Travalong" strange folding DE in my carry-on bag, so whenever I'm not flying, I can always grab a DE and five spare blades from my pocket.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I would call the hotel concierge and ask them to send up whatever cart they have.

Most likely a disposable. Nicer ones might give you a Mach 3 or Schick Quattro.
I found a good concierge at the Howard Johnson hotel in Bengbu (蚌埠), Anhui. I forgot to bring a blade for my shavette. One phone call away and I had an assortment of blades to choose from on a cushion at my door.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
They can lose my checked baggage (even if my large dopp is in it on “this trip”), because I have a small dopp in my carry-on. So, Speick stick, Omega 599/40033, maybe both, and a Trac II for shaving. It’ll also fit a couple straights if I’m not going through TSA. I’ve worked out of it for a month before.

If I had to… and I had to shave? I’d grab a whatever disposable, and likely bath soap.

This is what I’m thinking. I am a Master Barber when it comes to removing facial hair from my own face.

If push comes to shove, I can shave successfully with anything short of a stick of margarine as a shave stick and the sharp edge from the lid, of an old rusty tin can of pork & beans. :)

Top Bottom