What's new

What shave equipment did you buy today

AS posted in another thread, I bought the following on Amazon today...

Out for delivery tomorrow... EJ DE89ba11 Barley (my first DE razor), a blade sampler pack, blade disposal container, RazoRock Alum block w/ case

For delivery on Saturday... Semogue 830 Premium Boar Bristle Brush

For delivery on Sunday.... TOOBS Sandalwood soap in wooden bowl

Boz

Everything got here Fri & Sat.!

Attachments

• $DSCN2095.jpg
    $DSCN2095.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 96
Giant tub of Noxema (best pre-shave cleanser for me & mixed with essential oils, a great post shave balm); The Executive Shaving 'Braveheart Razor Head (Brave Head)' (I guess I better like it, for patriotic reasons), More Florida Water; and an Osma Bloc alum block (I had it with cheap Turkish blocks)

I don't know if it counts as shaving equipment but 2 small homemade melem cream of lavander and bee wax, they came before 30 min. Superb cream as aftershave and people around me like the scent:001_cool:.
Later this evening I'm going in a supermarket, gillette platinum blades are 20% off

- 2x Proraso white-label AS balm
- Boellis Panama 1924 in coffret
- Chatillon Lux Tea Tree Roborant
- 2x AdP Colonia cream
- Derby City Chop Shop Winter Reserve

My mail lady probably hates me right now...

Giant tub of Noxema (best pre-shave cleanser for me & mixed with essential oils, a great post shave balm); The Executive Shaving 'Braveheart Razor Head (Brave Head)' (I guess I better like it, for patriotic reasons), More Florida Water; and an Osma Bloc alum block (I had it with cheap Turkish blocks)

The braveheart head is a nice razor. Aggressive but good.

R41, Crown Shaving cream and pre-shave. If you haven't tried Crown Shaving, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Doing my yearly stockup of my soaps, this year specially early as my favourite soap, Tabac, was used up. Got the following:

Tabac X2 -> Got two puck this time
DR Harris Windsor -> Like Arlington scent and love the performance, hope I will love Windsor Scent
I Coloniali -> Tried before, love love love the performance
Valobra Patchouli -> I recall myself trying this before, the performance is top notch. Would love the fern/fougere scent, but it was out of stock. Maybe next year!

The Holy Black SR71 slant. This will make my fifth DE.

I don't need it but it was a bad day so this retail therapy... with a discount code.

Some fine aftershaves. Just received the vetiver and classic. Also picked up the sandalwood scent but that one is a bit too sweet for my tastes.

What's the trouble with the cheap Turkish alum blocks?

My first straight razor (the Dragonbane one that was listed in the marketplace. Probably gonna be a good bit before I try straight razor shaving but it looked cool, so it should look nice sitting on a shelf while I build up the courage, hahaha). Also, a soap/aftershave set of both B&M Roam and Night Music, CB's S'more Love for Noah and PAA 1K soap/as set, and as of noon tomorrow, probably a soap/AS set of B&M's "42," and Dr. Jon's Bandit w/ BWW's matching AS. Probably gotta list some other items soon to keep the misses happy...! :001_tongu

What's the trouble with the cheap Turkish alum blocks?

I use both kinds for different things. Osma (France) make two types of hand polished alum block ('bloc'). They move easily across the face, probably because they are polished. Then you have Windrose (Spain) that are not quite as good as Osma (In my opinion), but are still pretty good. There are some good Indian ones too (I'm told). To me, the Turkish ones "Ali Biyikli/Cilt sapi" seem more 'dense', or less refined, are better for making 'alum water', and a lot less smooth on the face (though, this may just be an effect of the surface not being polished). Once you've had them a while they become smoother, and I guess one could hand polish them, but I generally find they are better for making alum water, for use when my face is particularly sensitive. I learned this in India and it seems to work well for me, but not as well with the more expensive blocks. Take a cup, add a half inch-an inch of water, then put your alum bloc in the water. Rub and dunk the block for 10-30 seconds. Put the water in the fridge, or just to one side, then, once you've shaved, use that water to rinse your face, rather than dragging the block across your face, which - with the cheaper blocks and YMMV - feels like dragging sandpaper across your face. It works for me, and I still get the same 'feedback', without the irritation. TBH I much prefer alcohol free witch hazel, but it's not as good for travel.

The braveheart head is a nice razor. Aggressive but good.

I've heard tell it's too aggressive, for some. I wrote Executive Shaving and asked where it was compared to the R41 (a razor which is just too much effort in the morning, but I like using at night). They replied with "in the middle between an R89 and an R41" but I've read (here) that it's more aggressive than that - like the Parker 97r. It seems that, when people rate 1-10, after 5 the aggressiveness goes up the square of the previous number

Top Bottom