What's new

What is the mildest razor after the Henson Al 13 "Mild"?

Any suggestions for a super safe slant?
Yes sir, super safe would be the very affordable Fatip closed comb slant (FCCS). Many here love the open comb version (FOCS) but if you want to play it safe, go FCCS. That is what I use, which is very efficient for my one pass shaves. Give it a try but make sure you go easy the first few shaves so you master the very intuitive slant learning curve.

Promo code JULY2023 gets you 15% off and free shipping at Pasteur Shaving until July 31st :)

A logical candidate would be a Tatara Masamune. I have no experience of it, but it's certainly captured my attention.

How's that for an unbiased opinion :straight:

Fatip is getting a lot of love in this category.

I agree that the Gamechanger .68-P requires a bit more attention/technique than the Henson +.

... Thom

Don't know if these compare to the Henson, but they're the mildest I've ever used:

SCS-Model A (so mild & inefficient that I sold it a while back):

full

Feather Popular (so mild & inefficient that I put it away after 2 uses. So inexpensive that it ain't worth selling but it actually looks charming which makes you want to keep it):

full

Schick Krona (Vintage but very mild + efficient):

full

Yes sir, super safe would be the very affordable Fatip closed comb slant (FCCS). Many here love the open comb version (FOCS) but if you want to play it safe, go FCCS. That is what I use, which is very efficient for my one pass shaves. Give it a try but make sure you go easy the first few shaves so you master the very intuitive slant learning curve.

Promo code JULY2023 gets you 15% off and free shipping at Pasteur Shaving until July 31st :)
Thanks. I'm definitely checking it out. And thanks for the promo code and heads up on the sale.

Don't know if these compare to the Henson, but they're the mildest I've ever used:

SCS-Model A (so mild & inefficient that I sold it a while back):

full

Feather Popular (so mild & inefficient that I put it away after 2 uses. So inexpensive that it ain't worth selling but it actually looks charming which makes you want to keep it):

full

Schick Krona (Vintage but very mild + efficient):

full
Thanks. I started with the Feather popular and loved it for what seemed like forever until I didn't love it Pffed it. The Schick Krona I found boring. The SCS I'm still considering, except now it's the TRC I guess.

Thanks. I started with the Feather popular and loved it for what seemed like forever until I didn't love it Pffed it. The Schick Krona I found boring. The SCS I'm still considering, except now it's the TRC I guess.
Other options that I consider mild and are on my top best razors:
Timeless .68 (I have the open comb)
Chiseled Face Legacy
Tatara Masamune (I have the Nodachi with the masamune baseplate and it's mild. The full Masamune is much milder)
Karve (I have the stainless "B" plate open comb which is vey mild. So the "A" plate must be super mild)

Other options that I consider mild and are on my top best razors:
Timeless .68 (I have the open comb)
Chiseled Face Legacy
Tatara Masamune (I have the Nodachi with the masamune baseplate and it's mild. The full Masamune is much milder)
Karve (I have the stainless "B" plate open comb which is vey mild. So the "A" plate must be super mild)
Thanks. I've been massively tempted by the Masamune. And isn't there a Karve AA?

Thanks. I've been massively tempted by the Masamune. And isn't there a Karve AA?
Yes they also have a AA. I've only tried the B OC and the D SB. And the B is super mild to me so I imagine the AA & A must be overboard mild. I also have the G SB but have never tried it as I believe it's too much for me. It came with my razor!
The Tatara is incredible!

Last edited:
I just got kind of burned out with this razor burn that won't go away and all the inflammation it caused.

Taking a break from shaving for a bit to let razor burn heal up is a good idea, as running a razor (even a mild one) over bumps is a perfect way to keep irritating the same skin. During those days off good washing, moisturizing and even some light exfoliation can help speed up your healing.

I know that's kind of heretical here in the forum, but I got tired of trying to formulate the perfect lather. Is it enough of a base? Is it too thick? Is it slick enough? I got tired of having to evaluate everything, rather than just shaving.

You will get very good at doing this by eye and not a lot of thought with more practice. To make it easier to get there, bowl lathering with a scoop of product pressed into the bottom of a bowl lets you make sure the loading is consistent and then there's one less variable involved.

My most mild razor and lately the most enjoyable, is the Muhle R89. If I’m getting razor burn it’s because I’m going over a spot too many times, and/or going over a spot with too much pressure or no lather. YMMV
If this is identical to the EJ DE89 then it’s more aggressive than the AS-D2.

I second that emotion regarding Jack Black Beard Lube. It is really good stuff but for some reason, JB gets little air time on this forum, and I can only think because is it more corporate and not "artisan". I now use the Beard Lube as my pre-shave before the JB Supreme Triple Cream. Awesome combination.

Another option to explore for mildness, dare I say, is a slant razor. The theory being a slicing cut like a guillotine is gentler than a chopping cut like a traditional DE. The French discovered this hundreds of years ago.
The two products don’t get the respect they deserve because the are offensive to some. Just imagine having one product that is completely superior but you just can’t seem to admit it due to tradition and long held beliefs that old fashioned soap and a brush are better. I only use the Beard Lube but the cream looks amazing too.

Any suggestions for a super safe slant?

The iKon X3 would qualify as very safe slant, IMO. It is definitely "mild", meaning that it is gentle on the face and has minimal blade feel. Still, it is plenty efficient. It is aluminum, so it's light, if that is an issue. But it is CNC machined, so the tolerances and fit are very solid. It is also inexpensive; the head only can be had for about 25 bucks, the full razor is more like $40-$45. I find it to be a great shaver, and it is for sure my favorite slant.

Top Bottom