What's new

What is the mildest razor after the Henson Al 13 "Mild"?

I am trying to get over a really nasty case of razor burn that I've had for over a month, and so I caved and bought a Henson Al 13 Mild, and I am convinced it is the mildest razor on Earth. What is the second mildest razor on Earth? (And by mild I'm not thinking about efficiency at all. I'm thinking about no brainer 5:00 in the morning shaving without your glasses on and still not getting nicked or cut or irritation.)

The Henson medium is what I use. I am southern Italian with a beard like a wire brush and I can tap dance and shave at the same time with it. I shave twice a week. After I got it I gave away a bunch of other razors because I would never use them again.

If you get razor burn stop using soap based products and use Jack Black Beard Lube which is a natural oil and silicone emulsion gel. You won’t ever using shaving soap or cream again.

I think most (all?) DE razors require some degree of skill. There is no magic bullet.

Sure, there are some like the Henson, which may help a novice transition to DE by only shaving if held at an angle determined by the geometry of the head, but more "traditional" razors require technique.

The traditionally designed razors I've found to be mild are the Feather ASD2 and Gillette Tech, even a Razorock Game Changer or Timeless 68, though any of those can bite or irritate an inexperienced user.

There is no substitute for experience and the user's desire to improve their technique...except maybe a cartridge razor or a beard. 🙂

Last edited:
Henson guarantees the razor’s unconditionally so return it for a Medium.
Thanks for the Jack Black tip, and I like the Henson Mild and I'm keeping it. I just want to know what's the next step up in mildness or step down. You know what I mean I think.

I think this is one of the reasons for cartridge and electric razors. They don't require much in the way of technique. If you're asking about SE or DE non-cartridge safety razors, you may be right that the Henson "mild" (+) is about the mildest one can find; for me it's so mild it's practically unusable (it requires so many passes to get an acceptable looking shave that it actually causes irritation).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Of the ones I've used personally, I'd say the Blutt BR-1 0.86. I was going to sell mine.. but I changed my mind. It's so easy to use if I ever need to become a daily shaver, I'd choose it.

I'd have to say, the Timeless Ti 0.68OC, Lambda Athena and Timeless Bronze 0.38 also fall into that camp.. for me, at least. YMMV and all that.

I think most (all?) DE razors require some degree of skill. There is no magic bullet.

Sure, there are some like the Henson, which may help a novice transition to DE by only shaving if held at an angle determined by the geometry of the head, but more "traditional" razors require technique.

The traditionally designed razors I've found to be mild are the Feather ASD2 and Gillette Tech, even a Razorock Game Changer or Timeless 68, though any of those can bite or irritate an inexperienced user.

There is no substitute for experience and the user's desire to improve their technique...except maybe a cartridge razor or a beard. 🙂

+1! ’Traditional’ wet shaving is a skill, regardless of the hardware. Just my $0.02! :popc::popc::popc:

For me a 34G with a GSB is efficient and effortless. It won’t get me BBS in two passes but there is only 1 that I have found that can on a consistent basis, my R41. I recently acquired a Yaqi Tile, I am not ready to crown it yet, but! It gets me darn close to BBS, just a fuzz behind my R41 with is no blade feel, it’s automatic. It seams to favor a feather, and it’s just as smooth as you can ask for. The Hensons did not work for me, they are too light and not aggressive enough. I found myself always over doing it, causing razor burn. No fault of the Henson, I know they are well thought I just could not make it work consistently.

Last edited:
I think this is one of the reasons for cartridge and electric razors. They don't require much in the way of technique. If you're asking about SE or DE non-cartridge safety razors, you may be right that the Henson "mild" (+) is about the mildest one can find; for me it's so mild it's practically unusable (it requires so many passes to get an acceptable looking shave that it actually causes irritation).
Yeah, I know, Stew, and I agree. But I'm just asking in this thread about mildness for mildness sake.

The GameChanger 68p is a tiny bit less mild.

The Mamba is a bit more mild.

The Henson + is mild, but more efficient.

(And by mild I'm not thinking about efficiency at all. I'm thinking about no brainer 5:00 in the morning shaving without your glasses on and still not getting nicked or cut or irritation.)

If that is what you mean by mild in this case, perhaps a better word is safe. Mild or efficient have different connotations. If you are talking safe, the Henson + is near the top.

Thanks for the Jack Black tip, and I like the Henson Mild and I'm keeping it. I just want to know what's the next step up in mildness or step down. You know what I mean I think.
I second that emotion regarding Jack Black Beard Lube. It is really good stuff but for some reason, JB gets little air time on this forum, and I can only think because is it more corporate and not "artisan". I now use the Beard Lube as my pre-shave before the JB Supreme Triple Cream. Awesome combination.

Another option to explore for mildness, dare I say, is a slant razor. The theory being a slicing cut like a guillotine is gentler than a chopping cut like a traditional DE. The French discovered this hundreds of years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. I'm definitely going to get the Jack Black Beard lube. I just got kind of burned out with this razor burn that won't go away and all the inflammation it caused. I even got some Edge Sensitive gel and some Aveeno Therapeutic shaving gel. I know that's kind of heretical here in the forum, but I got tired of trying to formulate the perfect lather. Is it enough of a base? Is it too thick? Is it slick enough? I got tired of having to evaluate everything, rather than just shaving. I'm going to try the Black for sure, and thanks for the suggestion for the slant. I did have the Razorock German 37 slant and it shaved really close, but it also made me a little nervous. Any suggestions for a super safe slant?

Top Bottom