What's new

What is the mildest razor after the Henson Al 13 "Mild"?

The two products don’t get the respect they deserve because the are offensive to some. Just imagine having one product that is completely superior but you just can’t seem to admit it due to tradition and long held beliefs that old fashioned soap and a brush are better. I only use the Beard Lube but the cream looks amazing too.
JB makes some really fantastic products. People around here seem to love Nivea, a corporate giant, but I have found the scent of their products far too strong for my liking. A couple of them actually made my >60yr old face break out. JB doesn’t.

I have grown tired of searching for an artisanal soap that doesn’t irritate, doesn’t smell overpowering, and most of all, is available in the same formulation when I need another. That is rare. I’ve settled on prep and post products from JB, and soap from PdP, although I’m interested in trying the beard lube now. Even on weekends, I like my routine to be simple and easily accomplished. I don’t want a dozen steps that must be followed precisely or risk a pool of blood or irritation. Been there, done that.

JB makes some really fantastic products. People around here seem to love Nivea, a corporate giant, but I have found the scent of their products far too strong for my liking. A couple of them actually made my >60yr old face break out. JB doesn’t.

I have grown tired of searching for an artisanal soap that doesn’t irritate, doesn’t smell overpowering, and most of all, is available in the same formulation when I need another. That is rare. I’ve settled on prep and post products from JB, and soap from PdP, although I’m interested in trying the beard lube now. Even on weekends, I like my routine to be simple and easily accomplished. I don’t want a dozen steps that must be followed precisely or risk a pool of blood or irritation. Been there, done that.
it’s ridiculously easy, predictable and more importantly the performance superior. I may try the cream.

The iKon X3 would qualify as very safe slant, IMO. It is definitely "mild", meaning that it is gentle on the face and has minimal blade feel. Still, it is plenty efficient. It is aluminum, so it's light, if that is an issue. But it is CNC machined, so the tolerances and fit are very solid. It is also inexpensive; the head only can be had for about 25 bucks, the full razor is more like $40-$45. I find it to be a great shaver, and it is for sure my favorite slant.
Thanks Spang. The X3 has been on my radar for a while now. I'm definitely intrigued by it and have no issues with aluminum, in fact, I'm enjoying the Henson mild. I've been looking at the Fatip closed comb slant too but I always hear these things about blade alignment issues with Fatip and I get scared off. (I don't trust myself having to check blade alignment before I shave every time.) I had the razor Rock German 37 slant and that was a good razor . Any idea how the Ikon x3 compares to that?

Amen brother!

Thanks Spang. The X3 has been on my radar for a while now. I'm definitely intrigued by it and have no issues with aluminum, in fact, I'm enjoying the Henson mild. I've been looking at the Fatip closed comb slant too but I always hear these things about blade alignment issues with Fatip and I get scared off. (I don't trust myself having to check blade alignment before I shave every time.) I had the razor Rock German 37 slant and that was a good razor . Any idea how the Ikon x3 compares to that?
For me, the X3 is a more comfortable shaver than the German 37. The 37 is somewhat more prone to induce irritation, even though I wouldn't call the 37 especially aggressive. Efficiency is about equal, for me at least. I've also owned the Fatip closed comb slant, which I didn't especially care for. Mine did indeed have some alignment sloppiness, though that wasn't a deal breaker for me. It felt it bit too blade forward for me, and I found the shave somewhat harsh.

Thanks, Spang. That's very helpful. I guess the last question I have for you is, and it seems like the case or I'm sure you probably would have said something, are there no alignment problems with the x3?

Yeah, your thinking is right, I have experienced no alignment issues with my X3. The tolerances and fit are good, which makes sense for a CNC machined razor. Also, just to jog my memory, I used mine this morning. Great shave, though I think I would enter a small correction to my earlier comparison with the AL-13 medium: I'd call the X3 just slightly less mild than the AL-13 medium, but not by much. Still, it's definitely the mildest slant I've tried.

Yeah, your thinking is right, I have experienced no alignment issues with my X3. The tolerances and fit are good, which makes sense for a CNC machined razor. Also, just to jog my memory, I used mine this morning. Great shave, though I think I would enter a small correction to my earlier comparison with the AL-13 medium: I'd call the X3 just slightly less mild than the AL-13 medium, but not by much. Still, it's definitely the mildest slant I've tried.
Thanks a lot, Spang. (I'm out of questions to ask about it.)

I was all ready to try the JB Beard Lube, but $35?! I can get TWO tubs of artisan soap for that much,
and I just can't help thinking, "what's IN that stuff, gold?"
I am new to using the Jack Black and I'm not thrilled with it as just using it alone for shaving but as pre-shave and with soap on top of that it is really good. And you have to use so little of it. If you're just trying it, get the smaller size. Someone turned me on to this sale at Pasteur shaving and it was 14 dollars and 44 cents I think with free shipping. I don't know if they're still having the sale but I think they always have free shipping in the continental US. Jack Black Beard Lube Conditioning Shave With Jojoba & Eucalyptus 6 oz - https://www.pasteurshaving.com/products/jack-black-beard-lube-conditioning-shave-with-jojoba-eucalyptus-6-oz?_pos=2&_sid=30b1d2337&_ss=r

I am new to using the Jack Black and I'm not thrilled with it as just using it alone for shaving but as pre-shave and with soap on top of that it is really good. And you have to use so little of it. If you're just trying it, get the smaller size. Someone turned me on to this sale at Pasteur shaving and it was 14 dollars and 44 cents I think with free shipping. I don't know if they're still having the sale but I think they always have free shipping in the continental US. Jack Black Beard Lube Conditioning Shave With Jojoba & Eucalyptus 6 oz - https://www.pasteurshaving.com/products/jack-black-beard-lube-conditioning-shave-with-jojoba-eucalyptus-6-oz?_pos=2&_sid=30b1d2337&_ss=r
Pasteur shaving is great, and yes, they always have free shipping. That's still pretty pricey for a small tube, but I MIGHT try it, if I wasn't getting really good performance from my soaps. I heard Cremo works as a pre-shave, and I already have some, so I might try that.

Top Bottom