What's new

What is the Best Shave soap you've ever tried.

La Toja may very well be the best soap I've ever used. Soap Commander is also excellent. I'll be trying Stirling tonight so this may all change :)

So many excellent soaps tho... hard to elevate one above the others, especially when we consider external factors like weather and climate, altitude and water quality. Some days, Godrej is a contender, other days, RazoRock or Mamabear's really shines. But again, consistently, La Toja and Soap Commander provide superb shaves for me in any weather.

All this talk about soap is appetizing!

I'd have to say Stirling. It doesn't make up the majority of my stock of soap for no reason.

CRSW isn't far behind though...

Mike's Natural Soaps, but MWF is a close second.
I actually sold my puck after a few uses. For some reason, I can't get the lather to be as protective as my stirling puck. It's a shame because it's a damn good smelling puck with the lavender and eucalyptus !

Barrister and Mann Tallow Cheshire. Best lather yet and using a large brush with lots of water is great on this stuff.

Any of RazoRock Linea Officina Artigiana, the original Razorock Artisan line. May they not rest in peace (so that they get resurrected, and I can horde more soap).

Finished a tub of Third Eye. Only when I went to replenish stock did I find out these had been discontinued. Pretty sure I got (along with last 2 tubs of original XXX) the last 3 tubs available online in North America (Mentolipto, Chianti Lavender, Mughetto di Bologna).

Admittedly, haven't tried any of the new artisans in over a year, so: Phoenix & Beau, Barrister & Mann, Le Pere Lucien, and L & L Grooming Co. are on my list to test. Hopefully, one of these can pick up the mantle.

I read somewhere that these were made by Cella...but to me, performance of the Linea Artigiana is superior.

Performance: NOS AOS tallow Sandalwood/Haslinger Sheep milk and lanolin
Scent: FFV (Fine Fresh Vetiver)

Honorable mention: RR XXX Duro, RR Stallion

More and more I find little difference between software

For actual performance during a shave, smell, value, ease of use, and pretty much any other metric I can think of right now, a puck of Tabac is pretty much my #1.

Anything by Proraso is next on my list. (I haven't used the white, but I have a hard time believing it's not a good one, as well.)

Obviously, the other big player in the field: MWF. I'm new to The Fat, only a couple of shaves in on a puck. I like the smell a lot, and post-shave skin feel is pretty good, but I'm suspecting that maybe my skin doesn't agree with something in it. I've used lanolin-based products before, so I don't think that's the issue, but I got a little irritation that I can't explain after those first couple of shaves w/ MWF. Last night I switched back to Tabac, and this morning the irritation is mostly gone. I'll give it another shot in a week or so, and see if it repeats.

I've used soap/ brush for around 25 years. I've not tried a ton of different soaps, but maybe more than the average man. There's been plenty that I've liked but, if forced, I could probably narrow my soaps down to a puck of Tabac, and a tub each of Green and Red Proraso, and probably be OK with just those from here on out. Of course, I won't do that, but I could. To me, those are the best.

I have tried many soaps over the years and have gotten to know some pretty well including Nuavia, AOS Tallow, Czech & Speake, Haslinger, Sudsy Soapery, Bufflehead, B&M, L&L, SdM, Mystic Water and even CRSW Select V2 & Premium and the new Eufros Premium Tallow soaps. The best shave soap I have tried after all those mentioned and more, to answer the OP's question, has been in my rotation since 2012.

Mike's Natural.

I don't say it to boast or scream from the rafters. It's just the combination of lather, slickness, closeness and post-shave that keeps it on top. Mike doesn't over scent his soap base which I appreciate and those straightforward scents are as much variety as I need. I also find his soap consistency to be perfect. Most artisan soaps are too soft for my liking.

SliceOfLife posed a fun question and it really got me thinking. The soaps mentioned above are all fantastic. The one that's picking up steam for me is the new Premium from CRSW. That soap base is really growing on me.
Mike's Natural is just the locomotive right now pulling the rest along.

There are so many excellent soaps I've tried. For scent, one stands above all: Razorock Tuscan Oud.
For performance I like Proraso Red, any of the WSPs, and Saponoficio Dolomati.

Cella & AOS Tallow

I just got the AOS Tallow (NOS) recently and have only used it a few times, but it's blown me away with both the scent (Sandalwood) and performance. I wasn't sure about the scent at first, but now I absolutely love it. I just ordered 3 more pucks a few minutes ago since I know it's days are numbered.

As for Cella, great performance and I'm addicted to the scent.

Top Bottom