What's new

What Handgun to Buy ? Deacon.........

If you buy the 5.7mm, you'll also be buying a reloading press before too long. It's pretty expensive, around $0.50/shot. In terms of terminal ballistics, I've heard mixed reviews. It's got a lot of energy, and it penetrates well. In fact, some say it penetrates a little too well and is prone to over-penetration. It's a good round, but it isn't something I would carry. There just really isn't enough info out about it yet.

This is actually a sweet shooting pistol. The Pakistani Air Force cops use these. A couple of years ago we hosted a competition they attended. I was smoking targets at distances 3-4 times what the average person can hope to hit with a GI M9.

The military loading, designed to defeat body armor, is not available to civilians in the US.

You are correct, but having fired a few of this I can tell you it is an amazing round. I'm grateful that they aren't available to civilians!

Can't help but to chime in. Everything is from my personal experience.

Out of all the handguns I have ever shot, the most reliable and easily carried one is my current Glock model 23. Would I suggest it for someone looking for a .40 caliber, yes, but for someone just looking for a new gun I'd have to suggest the Glock model 19. The Glock 19 is the exact same size as the G23 however it is the 9mm version. The G23 is notoriously snappy and not necessarily easy for some people to shoot, but the size, for me, is simply perfect. What I would suggest though is not to get a 9mm because the price of ammo but get the G19 and a .22 conversion kit such as Advantage Arms. I have the Advantage Arms conversion for my G23(same as the one for G19) and it has paid for itself a few times over as far as ammo savings.

I also have curious little ones running around and I have had a completely awesome experience with a Gunvault 2000 Deluxe. I had the latch mechanism fail on my original one my wife bought me and within days they had a brand new one at my doorstep with no questions asked and a shipping label for the old one. Great product and wonderful customer service. It has 4 buttons on top for your fingertips and can be opened in seconds. I would bet I can go from sleep to loaded gun and flashlight in just about 4 seconds with very little practice.

Again this is all personal experience but I thought it might be worth it to share. I have thousands of rounds through my Glock and I have yet to see a failure. When I pull the trigger it is going to go bang and I would not question that for a minute. Every single other gun I have shot(XDs, 1911s, and revolvers) has left me wondering. Hope this helps and sorry for joining this thread late.

A lot of varied advice in this thread. Some good, some bad, some even worse.

Really bad advice:
1) 410 shotty for Self defense.

2) Bird shot for Self defense. Bird shot is for birdies, not thugs whose intent is to end your life or doing bodily harm to you, your GF/Wife/child.

3) Frangible bullets (Glasers). Other than in a shotgun, taking locks off doors for dynamic entries, these are, well not to put too fine a point on it, Stupid.

Bad Advice:
1) Pistol grip shotgun. No offense to the guy(s?) who recommended this, but you do still have to aim a shotgun. While a PG has a degree of "looks-cool", get a real stock.

2) A shotgun being 'racked' will scare off anyone. Want to bet? If you're picking up a gun, you best be prepared to use it, and use it quickly.

Good Advice:
1) Train - There are a lot of fine firearms out there, but even the best gun will only do what you tell it to. If you can't command your body to react properly, no weapon in the world is going to help you.

2) Try before you buy - Guns aren't cheap (scratch that, Good guns, aren't cheap). Go to a range, rent a few different models and see what works for you. For example. Glock makes a fine gun. I'm not bashing them, but they're just not for me. Grip angle is all off. Again, that is for me. Your mileage WILL vary. Take some on a test drive, then commit to training.

3) Kids - Train them as well. One does not "Drown proof" a child by keeping them away from water. You teach them to swim. Same idea here.

4) Get to know a good gun/self-defense lawyer ahead of time. Put them on speed dial on your home phones, and cell.

5) If, "God forbid" you ever have to use your weapon, NEVER speak to the police. Tell them you want to cooperate, were afraid for your life, but you are too shaken up at the moment and must speak to your attorney first. You'll want to chat, you'll want to explain yourself and justify what just happened. You must stomp that impulse into the ground. The sad truth is police are NOT your friends, they are there to put butts in cells and don't mind if it is yours. Think I'm being "paranoid"? Ask a cop what his Union tells them to do when they're involved in a shooting.

6) Shotguns are great for home defense, providing they are 12-gauge and loaded up with 00 buck shot.

7) Keep it loaded and ready to go. You have nothing more than an expensive club in your hand if the gun is unloaded in the bedroom and the bullets are locked in a case in the closet by the front door.

8) If your state allows it, get your carry permit and treat your firearm like your American Express card. "Don't leave home without it"

Personally, I carry a Springfield 1911 daily, and keep it on my bed's headboard at night.

GREAT post :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Just got this in an e-mail from Sig:
http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/classicoffer.aspx

These don't suck:
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=37&productid=226
proxy.php

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=8&productid=163
proxy.php

I could be very happy with this one :drool:
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=8&productid=87
proxy.php

If your still looking for a pistola, may be of interest.

Steve

Last edited:
I ended up getting the FN FNP 9mm USG this time around, and double checked, the sidearms at the squadron are SiG P228's, also 9mm.
Have a feeling it won't be the last I buy, either...just found out this wonderful state is an instant background check state, after years being stationed in California, where just about everything is illegal, it was quite nice being able to get all the checks done right away.
The one I got: FN FNP 9mm USG:(pic from www.fnhusa.com

proxy.php

My unit issues these: SiG 228/M11 (photo at www.remtek.com)
proxy.php

John P.

Last edited:
Hi John, you made a wise purchasing decision. I once handled a browning (FN) highpower and was very pleased with it. Also, FN has made/designed some of the finest, most prolific firearms the world has seen. One of my fav's is their FAL, fondly known as the "The Free Worlds Right Arm."
proxy.php

Enjoy.

Steve

Steve,
This is bad, real bad...I like this little FNP plenty, but am already looking to buy more; handguns are a relatively new interest for me (I've always been into rifles...) but since you mentioned the FAL...
Our M240's are also made by FN, but in their South Carolina plant, apparently alongside the new Winchester model 70's.
I liked our M60's when we had them also, but even though it's an older design, the M240 walks circles around it with regard to reliability. The thing just works, and even when it does have issues, there's nothing that goes wrong with it that I can't fix in the dark by feel, and be shooting again in seconds.
If the FNP's are anywhere close I'm going to be really happy with it. It's a bonus that my wife likes it as well, she fired it with me at the range the first day...
This sucks, just another addiction disorder...I'm already thinking about what to get next in a few paydays. I'm still intrigued by that 5.7, but its a lot to pay for a sidearm that would be a long range plinker....

John P.

I would love to have an FAL and came close to buying one several times..just couldn't pull the trigger (no pun intended) as I have no where close by to shoot it, and it's expensive. The FAL and Gallils/valmet's are very high on my short list of arms I'd like to get. Of course, the Gallils/valmet's are next to impossible to get here..

Steve

I would love to have an FAL and came close to buying one several times..just couldn't pull the trigger (no pun intended) as I have no where close by to shoot it, and it's expensive. The FAL and Gallils/valmet's are very high on my short list of arms I'd like to get. Of course, the Gallils/valmet's are next to impossible to get here..

Steve

Here's my FAL
proxy.php

I've had that and a parts kit sitting in my safe for ~4 years now. You'd think I'd get busy building the darn thing wouldn't you.

Hi John, I was seriously considering a DSArms FAL, but convinced myself it would just sit and gather dust... Ironically, I was flipping through the channels this evening and I came upon that old move "Heat" with Al Pacino and Robert Deniro, lots of FAL love in that movie :biggrin:
proxy.php

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrSWpWi5eEs[/YOUTUBE]

Steve

Last edited:
JG, when you go to build it, talk to Burner, one of the Mods at www.surplusrifleforum.com great guy. He has built several.

I'll have to look him up. The mounting the bbrl to the reciever and headspacing is what's been making me procrastinate. I've rebuilt and worked on enough other firearms to be fine with the rest of the work, but that one step is a bit intimidating.

Hi John, I was seriously considering a DSArms FAL, but convinced myself it would just sit and gather dust... Ironically, I was flipping through the channels this evening and I came upon that old move "Heat" with Al Pacino and Robert Deniro, lots of FAL love in that movie :biggrin:

That receiver is a DSA. I'll fess up. It was "Heat" that made me want the FAL in the first place. Great flick :-D Shooting a friend of a friend's FAL sealed the deal and I snapped up a parts kit wayyy back when they were a dime a dozen. It took me about 2 years to get around to ordering the receiver, and.... welll procrastinating ever since ;)

I'm pretty sure I saw at least a handful of those at the gun show last week...
Not sure how it is in the various places our members live in, having been stationed for years in California I know some of them can be full of the nicest people while being essentially small communist countries...
Class III weapons are legal in Virginia, so after seeing bolt action AR-15's with flash hiders sawed off or magazine wells welded shut to be "California legal" it was an eye opener (in a good way) to see regular, unmolested firearms again, as well as a few automatic weapons and such...
We didn't buy my FN there, still had too many questions...but could've saved a good bit.

John P.

JG, your more of a man than me. I don't have the technical ability to build a gun from scratch; my hat's off to you.

I actually went as far as buying a vhs video on the FAL. It basically went into tearing it down and putting it back together for cleaning, not as in depth as fully ripping it apart down to parade rest, though. The video went into adjusting the gas system for firing and that sort of stuff. At the end they take them out and fire them full auto, of course, they are a handful in full auto LOL.

DSA is recognized as one of the best suppliers, I believe they bought the actual blueprints and even some of the machines from an actual FAL factory. I forget the entire story, but I was researching it pretty intensely when I was considering the purchase. I also learned that there is some junk out there, but it sounds like you got a solid package with that dsa receiver.

Keep us updated, a nice pictorial of your build would be nice :smile: Good luck.

Steve

Edit: Here is the actual video I bought, I stand corrected, I believe it does illustrate how to build it from scratch: http://www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=38 The end of this clip is where they shoot them full auto..check the guy out shooting two of them full auto at the same time...it's all he can do to stay on his feet LOL.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJRuTPiY6Ss[/YOUTUBE]

I'll have to look him up. The mounting the bbrl to the reciever and headspacing is what's been making me procrastinate. I've rebuilt and worked on enough other firearms to be fine with the rest of the work, but that one step is a bit intimidating.

That receiver is a DSA. I'll fess up. It was "Heat" that made me want the FAL in the first place. Great flick :-D Shooting a friend of a friend's FAL sealed the deal and I snapped up a parts kit wayyy back when they were a dime a dozen. It took me about 2 years to get around to ordering the receiver, and.... welll procrastinating ever since ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom