What's new

What do you collect aside from razors, and why?

I used to collect a lot of things, but marriage and kids calmed it down a bit. I love to walk around yard sales, antique shops and other places to find treasure.

But my main interests today would be:

• Swiss Army Knives (have 200+) almost every model made (except a few)
  • Money - I travel a bit and work in an international industry. When I go or a fellow worker goes to another country, I take $20 USD and turn it into as much as the local currency I can. I have a whole cigar box of money from all over the world. Nothing elaborate, but something fun to show the kids. I have money from Iraq, China, Kenya, Panama... for example.
  • Compasses. I have many compasses but my favorite is a 1917 US Dept of Engineering compass

The only other thing I really collect is Coca-Cola bottles (or cans) from all over the world. Every time I travel to a new country I get a bottle/can. The only continent I don't have a bottle from is Africa (and Antarctica but penguins have a hard time putting caps on the bottles with their fins so they are pretty tough to find)

I've got a few:

Fountain pens
Watches
Electric fans (mostly prewar)
Books
LPs and SACDs
Handplanes and other old woodworking handtools
Stuff with vacuum tubes (I have old radios, amps, test gear, a tubed oscilloscope, and even an old tubed television)
A small collection of old Macs and a couple of SGI and Sun machines, though my favorite is a NeXT Cube

Watches, Razors, Knives, and Guns.

Watches - I like vintage watches, just something eye appealing about them.

Razors - I use them, duh :w00t:

Guns - I pick up ww2, ww1, era weapons along w/ custom double barrels, pistols, rifles. Most of my collection has been passed along from dad to son since the 1900s. Most prized piece is my grandfathers .38 colt he carried while detaining the Anglin Brothers. My collection for these are so far out of hand, I had to take out a insurance policy for the collection. :lol:

Knives - I have many pockets, that need a good blade. Collect everything from vintage puma's to vintage case. Bone handle, pearl, ivory, hunting, etc.

Last edited:
I have modest collection of game-used baseball memorabilia (mostly bats and jerseys) and a few vintage fountain pens. In the past few years (that is, after marriage and children) I have found it more satisfying to set aside a few bucks every month and save it for something of significant personal interest that might come along, like an autographed first edition book or a rare fountain pen.

jbird

I collect neat stuff. Sometimes I have to get rid of some stuff, because it starts becoming a problem. I currently have collections of cameras (about 25 at present), darkroom gear, fountain pens, saxophones (22, not counting one Saxophone-Shaped Object), and tools. I have a collection of small hand-held computers and PDAs.

I used to have Sun Sparc 2 workstations (about 10 of those). I think I finally got rid of the old thick ethernet hubs and repeaters. I used to have half-inch thick yellow cable running the length of my basement.

My guns don't amount to a collection. I have sort-of had a serial collection of BMW autos, starting with a 1975 jade green 2002.I guess my knives and edged weapons amount to an ad-hoc collection. The coolest blade I have is a Kindjal-pattern knife from Afghanistan back in the 1960s.

And books.

Razors ..old ,new and custom. Ballpoints..high quality. Small radios and headphones. Air pistols. Real guns..H@K P7M8,S@W .357 Custom shop and Ruger .22. Bicycles. Tools.Pocket Knives..single blade of unusual design and decoration....why? Because a collector is usually looking for the best and once he finds it..time to move on to another collection. Play money helps but the interest determines the cost and for some things cost is irrelevent..that is why we have RAD,OC and vast varied interests.

Martial arts books, preferably old. My collection goes back to 1899 with the original articles written in english about Japanese martial arts by Edward Barton-Wright, founder of Bartitsu, the self defense style of choice for one Sherlock Holmes.

- used to collect comics but stopped a long time ago. although, the Walking Dead graphic novels have piqued my interest

- vinyl records & CD's. i've got about 3000+ but also stopped buying music once the recession hit. I couldn't justify spending money on an expensive hobby like music

- ties. this is a recent development for me. I used to only have 1-2 ties, now I have over 20, most of which were thrifted.

- running shoes. i'm a fan of Adidas classics, so I have quite a few pairs of their shoes which I never wear. i've since started taking an interest in dress oxfords instead

I collect absolutely everything. I believe collection bug is in you or it isnt, and if you have it there is nothing you can do.

Agree. Which perhaps explains why I collect nothing.

Well, not absolutely true. I collect phrases, sayings, bon mots, clever rejoinders and the like, all kept in a file. As I write, I never know when I might find the need for a clever phrase or saying.

I was the thrift store King of Dallas LONG before all this came along. Like 25 years ago, long. So...

I started out collecting bar ware (in training for the 84 Olympic Drinking Team apparently) Fred Press, Briard sets, lots of classic American frosted hi-ball sets, shakers, seltzer bottles, etc.

Then faded into 50's glass (Fenton, Viking) particularly the genie bottles, etc. From there to classic 60's drip pottery like Maurice of California, particularly the crazy-*** ashtrays.

In between there have been spurts of comics and postcards. I also collect flags and Braniff memorabilia.

I guess the weirdest thing is a large and ever-growing collection of embossed university folders from all the colleges I have visited. Every college bookstore has some $1 folder with the school logo or mascot on them. Whenever I stop at a school I always grab a couple of these. I don't know how many there are but they currently fill the liquor box I have them in.

- used to collect comics but stopped a long time ago. although, the Walking Dead graphic novels have piqued my interest
If you don't start reading walking dead immediately, you will regret it until your deathbed! Not only that, but you shall be judged severely at either heaven or hell (destination depends on your other sins).

Or, alternatively, start reading Fables right freaking now and watch The Walking Dead on AMC in October. If you're not reading at least one of those, your life isn't fulfilled.

(above post might contain some hyperbole)

Whisk(e)y. With a focus on Scotch single malts and Bourbon
Guns. I like interesting and useful guns. No whiz-bang-boom "tactical" crud
RC cars and trucks
Older books on bird hunting and a limited amount of safari hunting

Mmmm collecting, as one poster stated early you either have the bug or you don't. I do and along with the following list I always keep an eye out for most anything that may be vintage.

- LP's, CD's and Cassettes - I love music
- Antique and vintage tools
- Sports memorbilia, mostly baseball and hockey
- Coleman camping stoves and lanterns
- Razors (duh)

Besides razors?

Guns and ammunition, and razor blades.

I like "Retro" or "Throwback" style rifles mostly. WW2, Vietnam, etc. Nothing "Tacti-cool" or anything like that. I'm the kind of guy who goes out and builds a replica M-16A1 from old parts.

I also seem to enjoy collecting DE razor blades from various places across the world. I've ordered from websites before and purchased one pack of every brand they had to add to the collection.

The ammo collection is similar, various cartridges from all kinds of weird places across the planet.

Legion

Staff member
Aw man, what don't I collect?

It seems like every time I get a new interest it ends up being a new collection.

Some notable ones,

Antique photographs. Mostly daguerreotypes, but ambrotypes, tin types, Cdv's etc.

Pocket knives. I like really old ones with "character" that show they have been well used and loved.

Smurfs. Yeah, I know.... but it goes back to my childhood....

Viewmaster viewers and reels. The next best thing to a time machine.

Antique and vintage camera equipment.

Fossils and prehistoric tools. (I especially LOVE dinosaurs. Another childhood thing)

And there must be about fifty others, and that's not counting all the shaving stuff! :blink:

Top Bottom