What's new

How Do You Go About Selling a Gun?

I've used the online gun auctions, gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com and I've never had a problem. Be very aware of your state laws on selling long arms and pistols. For the online auctions I think that federal law requires an FFL on the selling/sending end and on the buying/receiving end for pistols. Your state may require that for any firearm.

The nice thing about the online auctions is that you can do some research for each item's value, then set your price, and leave it. It'll notify you if it has sold. Another option that my friend used recently was a gun buyer. The buyer came to his home, and they negotiated the prices.

Thanks for the gunbroker info, guys. I suppose that makes sense! I purchased my SR22 from a seller there, since that gun was impossible to find in CA lol. It was an easy process on my end, save for the 2 week waiting period while my gun hung out at the FFL's house. I just worry about shipping it out like that, having some unforeseen problem and then dealing with headaches of getting it back... or worse, not.

As far as CA goes and inheritance of them I believe we're fine. They can pass down the family line without any "official" transfers necessary. Though I think they want you to so they get your $. So, I theory, we shouldn't have any issues with sales.

Christopher, that's a good idea that I have thought about. It feels wrong, but if that's what it takes... I appreciate what you've said. :)

Educate yourself on your state laws for buying, selling and shipping firearms. You may have to provide legal proof of ownership, registration,etc.
Working with two FFL's is the safest method. From a FFL, ship to a FFL. This takes you off the hook.
I have found that " Gun Broker" has been one of the best ways to buy & sale used/new firearms. They have a "FFL" locator that will find a FFL near you. Once you sale a firearm to an out-of-state buyer you can take the firearm to a local FFL. He will charge you between $25 to $50 for a transfer to buyers FFL, plus shipping plus insurance. So your around $60 for the complete sale.
You may try local "Gun Shows" to sale your firearms. Again what are you local & state laws.
Look on "GunBroker" or go to a few gun shows and see what your firearm is selling for.
Good Luck

Educate yourself on your state laws for buying, selling and shipping firearms. You may have to provide legal proof of ownership, registration,etc.
Working with two FFL's is the safest method. From a FFL, ship to a FFL. This takes you off the hook.
I have found that " Gun Broker" has been one of the best ways to buy & sale used/new firearms. They have a "FFL" locator that will find a FFL near you. Once you sale a firearm to an out-of-state buyer you can take the firearm to a local FFL. He will charge you between $25 to $50 for a transfer to buyers FFL, plus shipping plus insurance. So your around $60 for the complete sale.
You may try local "Gun Shows" to sale your firearms. Again what are you local & state laws.
Look on "GunBroker" or go to a few gun shows and see what your firearm is selling for.
Good Luck

I'm not sure what extra protection an FFL to FFL transfer provides you? What exactly does it "take you off the hook" for? If you have verified the buyer's FFL through the ATF, what exactly are you paying the FFL for? It doesn't seem like he/she is doing anything that you couldn't do yourself.

ATF says it is legal to transfer a firearm, be it a handgun or long gun, from a non-licensee to an out of state buyer as long as it is shipped to an FFL holder, who is then responsible for ensuring that the new owner can legally possess it. Your state laws may differ on the finer points, but I see no benefit for involving a second FFL on the shipping end. What am I missing?

Top Bottom