What's new

How Do You Go About Selling a Gun?

Hey guys,

So I'm asking this for 2 reasons really:

1. My Grandpa passed away in 2013, and he was a shooting/hunting/reloading enthusiast. He had quite a good size collection of rifles, shotguns and handguns, plus reloading equipment. Right now, my grandma is sitting on his stuff, not quite ready to do anything with it. There is some interfamily stress about passing down some of Pops guns to us boys, which I won't elaborate on. But, we are all of the understanding that we aren't in any need of much of what he had, we don't hunt and casually shoot.
So, she (or us if it comes to that, know what I mean?) is going to need to sell some. I know the laws everywhere are different but what's the typical process of this that's the minimal stress for us? Assuming we have no interested private parties, what do you do?

2. I personally am considering trading in or selling my G23 for something a little lighter. Its a fantastic weapon, and I'd consider a Glock again, but I just feel like its a little much for me. Based on my practice with others like 9mm or even .380 I think I may be more comfortable in that range. Anyway, my reasoning aside, how would I go about doing this, assuming I don't know anyone interested in a private party sale. (I do know that requires FFL transfer and DOJ fees, etc).

Thank you, guys!

Browse some of the local dealers, see if anyone strikes you as someone you'd do business with. They're in the business and would be able to assist for nominal fees. Otherwise, you could call and ask the same questions; likely get the broad strokes handed to you if it's a pleasant conversation. Don't forget Gun Clubs; often good advice and an interested membership come hand in hand. But this question is truly state by state, and California is one of those states with lots to say.

Good luck on your G'Pa's sales.

If you're talking about a significant collection, possibly some remarkable items; consider a Cabelas Gun Room or the like as they'll have curators who can assist with an Estate offering.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I was thinking of a gun broker of sorts. There's gotta be guys that buy and sell weapons all the time for people that inherit estates or just have no clue of the business.

If you're talking about a significant collection, possibly some remarkable items; consider a Cabelas Gun Room or the like as they'll have curators who can assist with an Estate offering.

I looked into that just now. Does seem an easy way to go about it, though the cynic in me wonders how well they actually pay. Unfortunately, it matters not, as there are no Cabelas locations in CA :(

I checked with the local gun shop I've tended to do business with as well. They do some consigning, with $1000 minimum needed. Not sure how they mean there, and that certainly doesn't cover my G23. I like the store, but most of them that work there are kind of the grizzled older, semi annoyed about novices kinda guys who won't BS you when it comes to the guns, but aren't exactly the most patient and helpful sort.

CyberJCM...I'm in Calif. as well,most of the dealers in my area want 30-40 % commission....I think the best way to get as much $$$ as you can is with a reputable auction site like gunbroker.com.

List on GunBroker. I have sold several there. All you have to do is ship to a FFL on the receiving end so that they can do the background check on your buyer.

I don't know what kind of relationship you had with your grandfather, but I hope the interfamily stress wouldn't keep you from having heirlooms if you wanted them. Once the stuff is gone, it's gone. I would want to keep some things as sentimental pieces, even if I didn't specifically use them. For ex:

I was lucky enough to get a Winchester 870 Wingmaster, and a 22 rifle from my grandfather after he passed. Neither one of them are worth very much, but they are priceless to me because he owned them. Don't let something you want, or you might want to give to children after you're gone slip away over a family dispute.

Other than that, I've never dealt with selling firearms, so I'm not much help there.

For your #2, look into armslist. I paid $400 for a G23 gen4 with 2 mags just 3 weeks ago. You could feasibly get up to $475 for yours depending on the buyer

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don't know what kind of relationship you had with your grandfather, but I hope the interfamily stress wouldn't keep you from having heirlooms if you wanted them. Once the stuff is gone, it's gone. I would want to keep some things as sentimental pieces, even if I didn't specifically use them. For ex:

I was lucky enough to get a Winchester 870 Wingmaster, and a 22 rifle from my grandfather after he passed. Neither one of them are worth very much, but they are priceless to me because he owned them. Don't let something you want, or you might want to give to children after you're gone slip away over a family dispute.

Other than that, I've never dealt with selling firearms, so I'm not much help there.

Great post right here.

My grandfather had about 10+ various shotguns all at least 30+ years old. I remember his glass display case in the basement when I was a kid loaded with guns and ammo. Guns older than me. Back in the late 90's he gave me a JC Higgins 16 gauge because he found out I was going hunting.

Just last year I found out he sold everything he had. Even after various family members were inquiring about getting them. I walked downstairs and the case is still there, completely empty. They said they were worried about someone stealing them and committing a crime with them. I was shocked they were all gone.

As far as I know I'm the only person in the family to have a shotgun he once owned.

I'm selling a rifle on gunbroker.com right now, actually, and the process is remarkably simple. It's like eBay for guns, but you have to ship to a FFL dealer instead of an individual.

Christopher, Jason

What you guys are talking about is where the family stress is coming from. Myself and my uncle would love to have just a few, for sentimental heirloom reasons. A couple were even promised to my uncle directly by Pop over the years before he died. Problem is, my grandma, who is a bit of a stingy hoarder (sweetest most lovingly lady in the world, but damn weird when it comes to $ and stuff) has said they are all hers, that's how Pop wanted it, and she'll decide if and what we get when she's ready. It hurts because we know Pop wouldn't have been that way, and would have given us anything we wanted. I think the hoarder in her sees $$ value and expects to get what she deserves for them. She's well, we'll off, wants for nothing and doesn't need the money. But she just won't give in. I mean, she's nearly crazy, I think she thinks we'll steal them from her, and she's barricaded the room with stuff to keep out of the safe. It's sad, and it hurts.

But, though her and my uncle have had a huge blowup and damaged their relationship permenently, I'm playing it cool, being patient and helpful to her and not pushing or talking about it unless she brings it up. All I've asked her is please, don't sell any of it away without giving me a chance to have one of the few things that I could have that would mean everything sentimental of my Pop.

She's asked me to try and find out how, so, here I am :) Thank you guys for caring and listening to me unload there a bit.

The reloading equipment would probably be the easiest to get rid off since it looks like your family doesn't want it anyways. And you can sell that on ebay.
I don't know about the local laws of California, but the ATF doesn't require a FFL if your selling to a resident in your same state, or any paper work of transfer of ownership. Though you might want to do a bill of sale for grandmas sake.
Calling your local police department/State Attorney general will tell you what California requires.

No worries about unloading, we're all friends here :thumbup:

If it doesn't work out where you give her the info, and she doesn't want to give you the heirlooms in trade, maybe you could have the stuff that you want appraised and just come to an agreement on a price. I don't know the laws for selling to a family member in your state however. That way she could get the money, if you're correct and that's what she wants, and you could get what you want.

Whatever happens, I hope it works out where you can get the items you desire.

is it a painless process shipping guns?
And picking them up from an FFL dealer?

UPS and USPS will both ship them, not sure about FedEx. The FFL takes care of the transfer, including the background check. All you really have to do is find a proper shipping box/contaner and send the to the FFL.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
UPS and USPS will both ship them, not sure about FedEx. The FFL takes care of the transfer, including the background check. All you really have to do is find a proper shipping box/contaner and send the to the FFL.

Reckon that's pretty straightforward yup.
Thanks!

With gunbroker do you really just list it, sell it and ship ir to their FFL? Do you have to provide any proof of ownership or sign anything? I just figured it'd be more complicated than that, laws as they are lol.

Oh, and are you responsible for doing your HW and not selling to certain states if it's restricted or off roster?

With gunbroker do you really just list it, sell it and ship ir to their FFL? Do you have to provide any proof of ownership or sign anything? I just figured it'd be more complicated than that, laws as they are lol.

Oh, and are you responsible for doing your HW and not selling to certain states if it's restricted or off roster?

That's why you ship to a FFL; they make sure that the gun is legal to own and that the person can legally buy it. Gunbroker maintains a list of FFL dealers that have been verified & the seller can also check those against the ATF's system. I suppose the FFL could ask for a copy of your ID or something like that also, but as far as proof of ownership, what could most of us provide?

In short, the FFL is the buffer between the buyer and seller to ensure the sale is legal. If shipping anything of questionable legality, I would think it is only smart to do a little homework ahead of time to make sure it is legal to send it there. In my case, it's just a standard bolt action hunting rifle so I haven't had to be too concerned about that side of things.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
When I bought my .22 rifle I signed a sheet of paper like a sale transfer or ownership record thingy. The guy told me it had to stay with the gun for 10 years.

Top Bottom