What's new

What did you hone today?

I am getting bolder and trying different things, I took my Revisor that I purchased earlier this year and worked on my dilutions again, I managed to get down to 10-12 before I went to straight water, this was my last dilution before going to straight water, got a pretty solid HHT 3 after rinsing the coti and doing 125-150 light laps consisting of 1/2 X strokes and regular X strokes

$IMG_3607.jpg

Then I did something a little different I did about a hundred or so light laps on the Apache using a combination of 1/2 X's and full X strokes and what I found odd was it almost seemed to be a reverse keeness coming off the Apache so I went back to the coti and did about 100 regular strokes and got the keeness back then did 100 laps of linen/leather and got a pretty good shave, actually almost to sharp even though it was only a HHT 3 I got a few weepers for the first time in awhile.

$IMG_3608.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Panther308, just something to try here....when you get down to your last dilution where you're just on very light misty slurry try working on that about twice as long as you have been with light pressure and then rinse the stone and blade and finish as you normally would for your water only laps.

I am getting bolder and trying different things, I took my Revisor that I purchased earlier this year and worked on my dilutions again, I managed to get down to 10-12 before I went to straight water, this was my last dilution before going to straight water, got a pretty solid HHT 3 after rinsing the coti and doing 125-150 light laps consisting of 1/2 X strokes and regular X strokes

View attachment 608927

Then I did something a little different I did about a hundred or so light laps on the Apache using a combination of 1/2 X's and full X strokes and what I found odd was it almost seemed to be a reverse keeness coming off the Apache so I went back to the coti and did about 100 regular strokes and got the keeness back then did 100 laps of linen/leather and got a pretty good shave, actually almost to sharp even though it was only a HHT 3 I got a few weepers for the first time in awhile.

View attachment 608933

That doesn't shock me terribly. I have a A.S. and to be truthful haven't used it quite some time now as I just like my coti edges better. If I am in the mood to get something keener than I can get from a coticule I take my coticule edge to a Les Lat.

David

I had some spare time this afternoon so I honed a dubl duck special on an ark progression. Soft, hard and Norton translucent. The shave was really nice. Typical ark sharpness but also very smooth. It was fun to do a full natural, yet slurry free progression for a change.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 45
That doesn't shock me terribly. I have a A.S. and to be truthful haven't used it quite some time now as I just like my coti edges better. If I am in the mood to get something keener than I can get from a coticule I take my coticule edge to a Les Lat.

Panther308, just something to try here....when you get down to your last dilution where you're just on very light misty slurry try working on that about twice as long as you have been with light pressure and then rinse the stone and blade and finish as you normally would for your water only laps.

Gentlemen,

I will follow your advice, for now I am going to put the Apache away and work on this thinner diloutions and water only strokes.

Touched up 3 Filarmonicas, an old Boker Arbolito, and the Boker Silver Steel. The bevel on the Novodur was a little off, so I took it back to the 1K and started over. Great edge now. Looking forward to a sweet shave this evening.

Honed this Erik Anton Berg.
The bevel was relatively clean and did not take long on the DMT 300/600 and King 1K.
Progression on Norton 4k/8K, King 6K, Shapton 12K. Finished on Ice hone, and pink, purple and brown agates.
$Honed.jpg

Ran the Red Imp over the one and only select coticule I have, started with a milky slurry and did sets of 25 half X strokes with medium pressure then worked in the mid slurry for quite awhile adding just a few drops here and there to keep it moving then finished on water only with lots of strokes and then some light strokes over an Apache which was a mistake as the keeness seemed to go backwards so went back to the coti and did sets of 25 half X strokes over the sink rinsing the stone between sets using little to no pressure and that made a tremendous difference as once I came off the stone and did 100/100 on cotton/leather i got a very high end HHT 3 and the shave was fantastic.

$IMG_3742.jpg

David

Congrats on the great edge. Sounds like the Apache isn't doing you any favors in that progression.

Congrats on the great edge. Sounds like the Apache isn't doing you any favors in that progression.

I wish there was a way to gage the coti and apache for grit, it's odd that that the coti feels harsher than the apache but as far as doing the HHT it seemed to have me going backwards on the edge.

David

I haven't used a Thuri in a while, but sometimes going from a coti to a Thuri I would lose my HHT but it would come right back after stropping. Not sure what was happening there but the shaves were nice.

The second H. Diamond of a lot I got a few weeks back.
The first one had been honed in a breeze, this one not so. At all.
The grind is different, the first was western style symmetrical whereas this one is kamisori style.
Setting the bevel required taking 1/8" off as there was some corrosion on the edge.
This might be the longest bevel setting ever for me.
$Honed.jpg
The rest went fast.
Finished on pink and purple agates.

Birmingham Anchor Old English.

Shapton 1500 bevel set, Le Dressante Dilucot, Gamma Select Coticule finish (Water Only.) 30/60 Kanayama wedded component, Kanayama 80K.

$image.jpg

Well I honed a Cattaraugus 5/8 Perfecto on a new rock and used a new strop, you guys never told me coti were different :lol: I think I made to many changes by throwing in a new rock in with a new strop.

I initially reset the bevel on a Naniwa SS 1K and it easily popped arm hairs so the I took my victim and worked up a good milky slurry and started half X strokes with medium pressure was doing 25 or so strokes for the first few sets then reduced to 15 or so and here is what I had at dilution 6 or 7:

$IMG_3779.jpg

Then i kept diluting one drop at a time and this is what I had at 12 on so dilutions:

$IMG_3780.jpg

Then i went to straight water and did lots of various strokes with medium to light pressure:

$IMG_3778.jpg

Well attempted a HHT and pretty much got nothing ? so did 100/100 on the new linen and bridal leather strop from TM and was able to get a hard HHT 3, the bridal leather has almost a glassy if you call it draw like pretty much none compared to my steer hide TM strop and the linen is also new as I had been using a cotton weave, I know I have a ton to learn but curious why not comparable results to my other coti, the one I used slurried very easily and seems very soft compared to the other one I picked up from Keith and the draw on this stone seems very hard compared to my other one so are there any suggestions ?

My suggestion is stick with one coticule, which is most likely your gamma coticule. Learn how to use that one it can months to master, but once you do then play with other stones if you want to.

That one in the picture looks like a la grise? Which can be pritty difficult at times , I may be wrong about the vein?

Other than hang that you could go back to a swipe of slurry work your razor out and then work out with water. Strop and test hht, repeat again if need be.

Your description of slurries very easily and felt soft also resembles la grise. Try some water Laos on the coticule from Keith see if that bumps up hht

Last edited:
William you are on the right track with that stone, and Gary is right in that it is a La Grise hone. Stick to pressure until you are on plain water. Once on water alone stick with pressure in the beginning and then back the pressure off in steps. If it does not test well, put a very faint slurry on the stone and go from that point forward again. Have you got a jewelers loupe yet? In time you won't need it, but while learning it is nice to be able to look at the bevel as you go along. I suspect that the 1K scratches weren't gone when you started diluting. It is a slow cutter and polishing out those 1K scratches will take pressure and a good heavy slurry. The most time consuming portion of your honing with this rock should be on your early heavy slurry stage.

William you are on the right track with that stone, and Gary is right in that it is a La Grise hone. Stick to pressure until you are on plain water. Once on water alone stick with pressure in the beginning and then back the pressure off in steps. If it does not test well, put a very faint slurry on the stone and go from that point forward again. Have you got a jewelers loupe yet? In time you won't need it, but while learning it is nice to be able to look at the bevel as you go along. I suspect that the 1K scratches weren't gone when you started diluting. It is a slow cutter and polishing out those 1K scratches will take pressure and a good heavy slurry. The most time consuming portion of your honing with this rock should be on your early heavy slurry stage.

Brian,

Do not have a loupe but am thinking I need one now, I am sure there are good, better and best for magnification so what would be a middle of the road loupe or magnifier to get ? All I currently have is a 4X and under this the beveled edge looks very even and very shiny and the spine wear is even, I started off with a heavier than normal pressure coming on the 1K with the half X stroke and was do 25 half strokes to a set and did about 4-5 set then rinsed off the mud and worked up another slurry slightly lighter again did 25 strokes to 1 set and did about 3 sets before starting the dilution (thats the pictures you see above) I thought I spent a fair amount of time in the mid slurry area by reducing the stroke count and pressure but doing more sets before diluting but all was not lost even though I only got a hard HHT3 off the linen/leather it still gave me a darn fine shave but I am thinking it will do better once I figure out my part

Last edited:
Belomo 10x is my favorite. I tried their 20x and hated it.
Ive got a couple no name loupes from the bay for under 7 dollars and they both work very well. I can try and dig up a link if you're interested.

David that would be great and I just looked at the Belomo 10X is not bad pricing on the bay but if there is something that is equal to it for less I am not opposed to that either.

David

The one I linked isn't equal to the belomo, but the difference in price is substantial. But, it's one of those you get what you pay for kinda things.
Heres another one that I got a couple weeks ago. Scott put me on to this one. It has a smaller field of view but it's very clear. When I first got it I thought it was a dud but figured out you look backwards through it. The rubber piece goes towards the blade. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221868472360

Top Bottom