What's new

Naniwa SS Set

My King Combo 1/6K was about done and I was needing to replace a set. I wanted something different. Like not waiting 10-15 minutes to hone to soak. Love the feel of the King, but sometimes I just don't have the extra time to soak the stone. I liked the idea of the Shapton Glass, I know a lot of people like them. Then there was the Shapton Pro. I have a Shapton 12K pro, it is nice. Almost pulled the trigger on a set cause it was cheaper to get the 1, 5, 8, & 10 K. But sometimes my 12K feels like a rock broke loose and is under the edge. I have a Suehiro 20K Gokumyo, and love it. Would like to have the 10K, but it will have to wait. My Jnat, is awesome and will not separate from it. The Suehiro Cerax 1k is ok, does a good job, but again you have to soak it. I have been eyeballing Naniwa SS for a while. So today, I just pulled the trigger on a Naniwa SS set 1, 3, 5, 8, 10, & 12K. Yeah I know some will say I could have skipped the 3 & 10K, but I wanted them. Cause sometimes you don't need to go to a 1k, when a touch up on a higher grit will do the job.

Guess I am just going through the progression other have done. Seeking that magical stone and edge. Y'all enjoy the weekend!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Congrats on the new stones, hope you get good use out of them. They are the only stones I use (have). Actually found i got plenty of work out of the 3k, as I only recently added a 5k to the mix. Also don’t have a 10k, still considering something to fill the 8-12 gap, but not pressed. Enjoy!

I am a confirmed user of the Naniwa SS, to the tune of several dozen vintage restorations. I have a variety of options, but the Superstones are my standard progression.

I appreciate the splash and go. The tight progression is very straightforward, even though I have yet to buy a 10k. I don't skip the 3k in restoration work. The 10k seems like a great option when an edge refresh needs just 'a little' extra.

Enjoy them!

Naniwa SS 1k, 3k, 5k, 8k, 12k was my first set of stones.

When I started to learn how to hone, I was super frustrated about how easy they load Up with swarf. So I lapped and lapped that poor 1k, Every few minutes of trying my best to set a bevel. And Down the drain went about 60% of it. And it's only 10mm thick to start with.

After a few months break, I pulled out my set to give it another shot and my 3k was warped like a banana.

1 to 5 to 8 to 12 works just fine. And now I Can set a bevel in a matter of a few minutes, the remains of the 1k are still straight and work. I will get a new bevel setter after this one is no longer usable.

During Every honing session, I want to immediately buy a different set. Then I shave and think... such a Nice edge... I could probably be good with only two stones though - something around 1k and something to finnish on around 12-16. Maybe 8k would suffice since I have a Diamond pasted balsa strop progression....

Maybe I need them All...

Enjoy your Super Stones!

Top Bottom