What's new

What did you hone today?

Had another run on my one and only coti, pretty smooth shave

$IMG_3460.jpg

5/8 GEO Wostenholm & Sons I-XL Monkey Tail

Well this one was a two day venture. I started yesterday with 2 pieces of scotch tape across the spine to get down to good metal on the edge very carefully so as to stop once I saw clean steel across the length of the blade.

Here is the sum total of the progression on this one:

Sunday:
260X Laps on King 1K with spine taped
200X Laps on King 1K with ultra light strokes on King 1K

Today:
200X More laps on King 1K with ultra light strokes
200X Laps on King 6K with ultra light strokes

100X Laps on Slurried 12K Guangxi Stone slurried with the shown piece of an old combo stone I had laying around that I lapped flat a few weeks ago, I used the 240 Grit side for the slurry.

100X Laps on 12 Guangxi adding watter to thin slurry to nearly all water.

100X Laps after cleaning and rinsing 12K Guangxi Stone with Water Only

60X Laps on 50K Diamond Sprayed Duck Cloth Strop
60X Laps on 200K Diamond Sprayed Duck Cloth Strop

Tree Tops Hairs with zero resistance on my arm and passed the HHT with SWMBO's Very Light Hair the length of the edge. So Hopefully I got this right first time up but I will find that out later on this evening when I shave with it.

$20151005_103826-1.jpg

View attachment 605309

View attachment 605310

Last edited:
Nice razor! Love the tail

Thank you very much, I really love it too. I have never seen a Wostie with a tail like this before so my efforts on restoring this to shaving condition were very very deliberate and calculated to make absolutely sure I did not damage it. You can see what it looked like when I got it here. I think it came out really nicely considering how many possible areas there were that could have resulted in it being either a completely lost cause or taking it down so far that it was too thin a blade to shave with. Luckily it came out still at 5/8 and pretty darned handsome in my opinion:001_smile.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Wow, you brought that thing back from the dead. Very nice job. Hope it gives you a great shave.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Lovely razors and hones guys. I always enjoy reading this thread.

Near new Toyo Scheön Burg 665 rescaled by Stefan in ivory (not the real ivory) and dark green wedge. It will be getting an edge off the kiita.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $image.jpeg
    $image.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Honed a Thiers Issard. A quarter hollow 'Le Scintillant'.
Bevel set on DMT 300/600 and King 1K.
Progression on Norton 4K/8K, followed by King 6K, then on Shapton 16K.
Finished on Imperia La Roccia.
$Honed.jpg

Excellent Frank:thumbup: I have to say that after I found the correct progression that felt right on my face and then learning to reproduce those results with all of my Straight's I too will most likely not ever send one out for honing. It feels good to know that no matter what happens I will always be able to get a great shave and do so self sufficiently.

David

I send a blade out to Bayamontate and a few others on occasion. There's nothing like shaving with your own edges but its also nice to see what other guys are doing.

Cutting a bevel in a new semi-custom stag-handled knife, 440C I think. Blade was ground but the bevel was laughable, nearly 45˚ and done on a wheel. So, this one has forced a complete lesson in blade geometry and stone use.

Thing is - I crashed in the top of my Latte Okudo Suita quite badly, I mean - really bad. Had to lap off nearly 1/8" of stone to clear it.
Seems there was a 'seam & pocket' under the surface that just gave out under pressure. The top cracked open like an eggshell.
You know those pretty red lines in some Suita? Well - they can be pretty unfriendly sometimes. Lol.
No big deal, just a loss of time and patience. Will prob finish the blade tomorrow or Monday.

Cutting a bevel in a new semi-custom stag-handled knife, 440C I think. Blade was ground but the bevel was laughable, nearly 45˚ and done on a wheel. So, this one has forced a complete lesson in blade geometry and stone use.

Thing is - I crashed in the top of my Latte Okudo Suita quite badly, I mean - really bad. Had to lap off nearly 1/8" of stone to clear it.
Seems there was a 'seam & pocket' under the surface that just gave out under pressure. The top cracked open like an eggshell.
You know those pretty red lines in some Suita? Well - they can be pretty unfriendly sometimes. Lol.
No big deal, just a loss of time and patience. Will prob finish the blade tomorrow or Monday.

I would most certainly have pulled out some of my most colorful "Infantry language" for that!

David

Yeah that hugs. I've done that plenty of times but always on synths.
I guess it could have been worse though...

I would most certainly have pulled out some of my most colorful "Infantry language" for that!

I saved it for afterwards.... in the heat of a moment like that, I'm usually absurdly calm and focused.

Yeah that hugs. I've done that plenty of times but always on synths.
I guess it could have been worse though...
Yeah, the crater could have been wider and deeper or terminal. In which case, then I'd have a lot of very expensive Okudo Suita Tomo Nagura on hand. Lol.
Oddly - I think the issue did me a bit of a favor, the stone seems harder now, I may have lapped into a denser section of the stone.

Got a pair of H Diamond and honed the first one tonight.
$Honed.jpg
Bevel set on DMT 300/600/1500
Short progression with Norton 4K/8K followed by king 6K and Naniwa 10K.
Finished on purple and brown agate.

Top Bottom