What's new

What did you hone today?

Got my feet wet today with my new coticule and went Diulcot, turned out ok but I need practice :w00t:

$IMG_3430.jpg

Broke out a piece of Sheffield steel that had not had a turn in the rotation for a while and my new Les Lat rock. The coticule side of this stone is quite fast and left a wonderful edge. I almost didn't have the heart to go to the hybrid side,,, but, it was there. After the hybrid side I am loving both sides of this little stone.

$20150929_132802.jpg$20150929_132828.jpg

Put the first bevel edge on this NOS FW Engels 'Leader' - Chosera 1k bevel-set, Naniwa SS 3k-12k, finishing up on a silky-smooth Apache Strata.
$SafariScreenSnapz156.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
ERN. Bevel set on C1k. Midrange work on my La Gamma coti, finished on a vintage coti. I made a video of this honing session that I'll try and get on the intertubes tomorrow.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 138
6/8 "Improved Eagle"

Went an entirely new route for me today as I went with a 2 stone Progression with the King 1K (200 Very light laps) and the Guangxi 12K and used a 100 grit and 250 grit stone I had in my collection to raise a slurry on the 12K and progressed through the 100 Grit slurry until water was all that was left and then did the same with the slurry raised by the 250 Grit. Finished with 100 laps on the 12K after rinsing it off comepletely. Sort of a Coticule approach to this but with a 12K Guangxi stone instead.

The results astounded me and showed that I too can fully hone a razor on just 2 stones. I am eager to take it for a test drive tonight in a couple hours or so and see if it shaves as good as it looks.

$20151001_163617-1.jpg

$20151001_163646-1.jpg

David

Touched up my hunting knife. Chosera 2k, chosera 3k and stropped.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 112
$photo-23.JPG

One of those North Korean razors (oil coated) honed on this coticule with no backing.The steel in this razor is very good,the shave was fantastic.Gotta love the cheap blue rubber scales?

I am sure I am going to wear this one out but got more practice in on my one and only coti and was surprised what doing more strokes can do.

$IMG_3453.jpg

David

ERN. Bevel set on C1k. Midrange work on my La Gamma coti, finished on a vintage coti. I made a video of this honing session that I'll try and get on the intertubes tomorrow.
I just shaved with this edge and its hands down the keenest coti edge I've ever shaved with. It was hht 4 off the stone, 5 root in or root out after stropping. I actually cut myself twice during the shave but other than that it was a pretty smooth shave. There's a bit of trickery behind this that ill discuss when I get it right. Hopefully the video will be up soon, it's been processing for 24 hours now...

I just shaved with this edge and its hands down the keenest coti edge I've ever shaved with. It was hht 4 off the stone, 5 root in or root out after stropping. I actually cut myself twice during the shave but other than that it was a pretty smooth shave. There's a bit of trickery behind this that ill discuss when I get it right. Hopefully the video will be up soon, it's been processing for 24 hours now...

A 5 without Les Lat finishing??? You have my curiosity gauge pegged!

I to had a shave with my La Gamma coti (only one I own) and I was super surprised that it along with my SS 1K gave me a better shave than using my 1K, 5K, 8K and either my 12 and 16 Shaptons or Apache.

$IMG_3430.jpg

David

You're taking to cotis like a duck on water. That's awesome! It took me a LONG time to get to where I was happy with my edges. Congrats on your success.

Rapide: Chosera 1K, Dilucot on a Gamma Coticule, finished on a hybridish coticule.
Custom Diamond Shorty: Shapton 1500, Nube 5K, Snow White, Apache Strata.
CMon: Shapton 1500, Nuba 5K, Naniwa 10K, Apache Black Gila.

$image.jpg

Top Bottom