What's new

What did you hone today?

The one I linked isn't equal to the belomo, but the difference in price is substantial. But, it's one of those you get what you pay for kinda things.
Heres another one that I got a couple weeks ago. Scott put me on to this one. It has a smaller field of view but it's very clear. When I first got it I thought it was a dud but figured out you look backwards through it. The rubber piece goes towards the blade. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221868472360

I may so to speak bite the bullet and buy once cry once and get the Belomo but feel I really need something other than the 4X I am currently using as I can't see the blade well enough to see scratches.

Thank you so much for the link !!

$uploadfromtaptalk1445919164568.jpg Townsend cutlery co. wedge on this coticule.cheers.

I may so to speak bite the bullet and buy once cry once and get the Belomo but feel I really need something other than the 4X I am currently using as I can't see the blade well enough to see scratches.

Thank you so much for the link !!

As usual David is on the money here. 10X will get it done and be less finicky to look through than a higher magnification. I want you to try something for me. Tape the spine and then hone. I want to eliminate any feedback you are feeling from anything other than the shaving edge. Lots of folks don't like tape and I am not trying to convert you long term to a tape user if you don't want to be, but for a short while here I want to try to let you feel as much feedback from the cutting edge as possible. If the only steel abrasion taking place is at the cutting edge you should be able to feel it more clearly. At least that is my hope. I am a tape guy, but my only reason is to protect my damascus blades and I don't particularly like the looks of hone wear.

As usual David is on the money here. 10X will get it done and be less finicky to look through than a higher magnification. I want you to try something for me. Tape the spine and then hone. I want to eliminate any feedback you are feeling from anything other than the shaving edge. Lots of folks don't like tape and I am not trying to convert you long term to a tape user if you don't want to be, but for a short while here I want to try to let you feel as much feedback from the cutting edge as possible. If the only steel abrasion taking place is at the cutting edge you should be able to feel it more clearly. At least that is my hope. I am a tape guy, but my only reason is to protect my damascus blades and I don't particularly like the looks of hone wear.

Well I used to tape but found it to be quite the hassle so I stopped several months ago, so are you suggesting a Unicot Method or use tape the entire time, I had planned on rehoning the same razor this morning and trying the Unicot even though I hate tape.

Try the tape the entire time. Do a dulicot, but with a taped spine. I do 99% of my honing this way and was just thinking about something you said the other day about not yet reading feedback well. Might be a total flop, but unless we are willing to risk a flop we can't learn.

Try the tape the entire time. Do a dulicot, but with a taped spine. I do 99% of my honing this way and was just thinking about something you said the other day about not yet reading feedback well. Might be a total flop, but unless we are willing to risk a flop we can't learn.

Brian,

I kinda did what you advised but I think it was more of a unicot, I initially worked up a slurry here:

$IMG_3786.jpg

Then I did 5 sets of 30 half X strokes with pretty heavy pressure with no tape, I marked the edge with a black sharpie to ensure the bevel was set and was even and it was so after I did the 5 sets I rinsed the stone and worked up the same slurry as above and did 30 regular X strokes with more of a medium pressure then without rinsing the stone I cleaned the blade and put one layer of tape and added a good splash of water to the slurry that was on the stone and proceeded to do 2 sets of 30 regular X strokes and then rinsed the stone and did 60 regular X strokes and after it was done I managed to get a 2-3 HHT off the stone and after hitting the linen/leather i got a pretty good 3, not perfect but better than yesterday.

This is the first time I was able to get a decent shaving edge in such a short time but am thinking using the unicot method it's going to make the bevel smaller and will have to be honed more frequently but i am not going to give up on this stone, I simply love the smoothness of using a coticule.

You are gaining on it. Time and practice makes all the difference. Once more thing to try. Next time you are starting with an edge fresh off the 1K bevel setter work up a thicker slurry in the beginning. Remember we are using one stone to bridge a gap that would ordinarily be filled with multiple stones. That rock will cut faster with a bit heavier slurry.

You are gaining on it. Time and practice makes all the difference. Once more thing to try. Next time you are starting with an edge fresh off the 1K bevel setter work up a thicker slurry in the beginning. Remember we are using one stone to bridge a gap that would ordinarily be filled with multiple stones. That rock will cut faster with a bit heavier slurry.

Well have to work the next few nights but plan on taking the same razor and honing it again later in the week, I figure if I use the same blade I can compare apples to apples for evauating my edges, not overly crazy using tape but maybe for now I can use the "Unicot" method over the "Dilucot" for this La Griese stone until I figure it out and then ween myself off the tape, I cannot express enough all the help you and others have given me and today is my 1 year Anniversary on using straights, started off with a GD 208 and strop kit from Bucca and have never looked back and never thought I would have more than one straight and surly never thought I would be honing. BTW...I followed your advice and have been using my synthetics for kitchen knives and have been working to put a coti edge on all my straights, going to take awile but I do love the edges they provide.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Don't know. I used to talk to him a lot but don't hear from him anymore.
Thats a sweet stone. He thought very highly of that one

Well, went back to work on getting a better edge with this La Grise I started with the Naniwa 1K and since I don't have a loupe (one on order) I used a sharpie on the edge and set the bevel fairly easy doing half X strokes with no tape.

I then worked up a heavy mud and proceeded to do my sets in 25 to a set in half X strokes again with no tape and alot of pressure, well after doing about 4 sets I added a few drops here and there and kept after it and ended up doing about six sets or so total and slurry was still pretty thick

Rinsed the blade and put a one layer of tape on and continued to do my sets with a fair amount of pressure, after about 5 sets of half X strokes I noticed the tape was wearing so I stopped and put a new layer on and added a drop or two of water and lowered my stroke to 20 and used a medium pressure and started my dilution, well when I got to the point where the slurry was pretty thin which was about a dozen dilutions in I reduced my stroke count to 15 and reduced pressure and started on full X strokes for the last 5 or so dilutions and then rinsed the stone and blade and again a new layer of tape on and did about 200 half X strokes on water only while holding the stone over the sink and index finger to center of blade with little pressure, I was going to test the edge before stropping but said the heck with it and just did 200 laps on linen then 200 on leather

I am sure I over did this and surly hate tape but after coming off the linen and leather I very easily got a solid HHT3 if not a 4, the shave was excellent as I usually gage my shave after with aftershave burn which there was none and how smooth which it was for me, still have a ton to learn and would love to be able to reduce my stroke count and not use tape and be able to achieve the same end result but I am guessing that comes in time.

Here is what I started with for mud:

$IMG_3800.jpg

And here is my midway point:

$IMG_3801.jpg

And finished with a good smooth shave:

View attachment 611693

Well, went back to work on getting a better edge with this La Grise I started with the Naniwa 1K and since I don't have a loupe (one on order) I used a sharpie on the edge and set the bevel fairly easy doing half X strokes with no tape.

I then worked up a heavy mud and proceeded to do my sets in 25 to a set in half X strokes again with no tape and alot of pressure, well after doing about 4 sets I added a few drops here and there and kept after it and ended up doing about six sets or so total and slurry was still pretty thick

Rinsed the blade and put a one layer of tape on and continued to do my sets with a fair amount of pressure, after about 5 sets of half X strokes I noticed the tape was wearing so I stopped and put a new layer on and added a drop or two of water and lowered my stroke to 20 and used a medium pressure and started my dilution, well when I got to the point where the slurry was pretty thin which was about a dozen dilutions in I reduced my stroke count to 15 and reduced pressure and started on full X strokes for the last 5 or so dilutions and then rinsed the stone and blade and again a new layer of tape on and did about 200 half X strokes on water only while holding the stone over the sink and index finger to center of blade with little pressure, I was going to test the edge before stropping but said the heck with it and just did 200 laps on linen then 200 on leather

I am sure I over did this and surly hate tape but after coming off the linen and leather I very easily got a solid HHT3 if not a 4, the shave was excellent as I usually gage my shave after with aftershave burn which there was none and how smooth which it was for me, still have a ton to learn and would love to be able to reduce my stroke count and not use tape and be able to achieve the same end result but I am guessing that comes in time.

Here is what I started with for mud:

View attachment 611691

And here is my midway point:

View attachment 611692

And finished with a good smooth shave:

View attachment 611693

:w00t::w00t::thumbup::thumbup::001_wub::001_tongu:001_tt1::a50::a50::a23:The important part here is ,,,, SCORE!!!!!! Time and experience will make it easier of course, but now you know it is possible! Well done partner!

Well went after a good shaving edge on my new rock, tried the dilucot method on the Boker as I truly don't like tape, shave top follow.

$IMG_3808.jpg

Complete reset on the GENCO Master Cutler today after a Great Friend informed me after putting it under a high powered loupe that the bevel was missing on the non show side of my blade:sad:. I started from Scratch by completely breadknifing the edge and started on a 300 Grit Norton Stone to begin the bevel process to get a basic bevel shape quickly.

Progression:
60X Laps 300 Grit Norton Stone
400X Light Laps on 1K King Stone
200X Light Laps on 6K King Stone
200X Light Laps on 12K Guangxi Stone
100X Laps on 50K Diamond Sprayed Strop
100X Laps on 200K Diamond Sprayed Strop

Results after 6K:

View attachment 611924

After 12K:

View attachment 611925

And after 200K Diamond Strop:

View attachment 611926

Much better than where it started with almost no bevel in this spot at all. Can't wait to give it a shave tonight:thumbup:

Just honed up this brand new factory edge dovo which was a little chipped here and there . This how it came out of the box.

i decided to set the bevel with a 3 k superstones then I went 5 k 8 k and 12 k super stones. Finished the edge on a lovely made balsa paddle from classic edge with hand American semi liquid chromium oxide, which works well with just ten laps.

all in all it took ten minutes and the shave was very very nice . I was quite surprised comfortable the edge was. The more I use the superstones the more I realize why they are very highly rated.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom