What's new

Vintage April, 2024

You said manufactured in 1974 or earlier in post #1. If my '74 Super 84 Adjustable is disqualified, I will surely be crestfallen and unlikely to recover.
You are absolutely right! I must have had my mind on the post from last year! It is definitely 1974 - only one year left and then I can finally use my birth year razors! So bring on your SA beauty!

Enjoy!

Guido

1. @never-stop-learning
2. @Guido75
3. @BradWorld
4. @MrSpeedy
5. @hopper_64
6. @yellcohawg58
7. @cryhavoc
8. @mgweatherly
9. @EM313
10. @Whiterook
11. @Texchappy
12. @Wgg2017
13. @Russ622
14. @Obetron Rex
15. @SmokedStanley
16. @md1234
17. @LJBraaten
18. @gpjoe
19. @Alum Ladd
20. @Hair Scraper
21. @dmshaver
22. @Spartan76
23. @Joezamboni
24. @Tanuki
25. @BobbyB
26. @cajunrph
27. @Sweeney_
28. @zoidberg

I've added my name to the list as well. It shouldn't be much trouble as I seem to use vintage razors 98% of the time! I think I might give some of my lesser used vintage razors a bit more time.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I did a little pre-gaming today. 👽🤘

It is Space Week over at the SOTD. So what razer is mandatory for that??

The 1967 M-4 Gillette Techmatic! Of course!

20240330_095104.jpg

It is my habit to use vintage razors on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, so I'm starting early this year.
20240329_091326.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1912 ABC Pocket Edition #503, Silver floral pattern
Blade: Rapira Stainless
Brush: Mistic Brush Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Noble Otter Plunder
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm

Went out today with my son and feel like I struck Gold. Liquid gold that is and possibly rhodium? Picked up a complete early 1950's Old Spice set. Each bottle is about 75-80% full and this razor. Best I can tell it is a 1949 Executive, but I may be wrong (please feel free to correct me if it is something else). Either way I am super happy getting both for less than $40 and look forward to using them soon.
1711824304731.png
1711824325432.png

Went out today with my son and feel like I struck Gold. Liquid gold that is and possibly rhodium? Picked up a complete early 1950's Old Spice set. Each bottle is about 75-80% full and this razor. Best I can tell it is a 1949 Executive, but I may be wrong (please feel free to correct me if it is something else). Either way I am super happy getting both for less than $40 and look forward to using them soon.
I believe you are correct. Your razor looks like the twin to my 49 Executive.
Congratulations, its a beautiful razor and it provides a very comfortable shave.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I might give this a whirl. Let’s see how it goes.

Early, as promised. 🙂

Wizamet TTO
Wizamet Super Iridium
Old Spice
Lord Chesterfield (re-knot)
Old Spice

Screenshot_20240331_090738_Gallery.jpg

The razor, Old Spice soap, mug, and aftershave all found at antique shops. The razor is likely from the 70's, so probably doesnt qualify, but it is still "vintage" to me, even though I'm much older. 😁 The brush was a restoration found on ebay. I bought it because I liked the Persian jar shape, not for the prickly pue badger knot. The blade is modern.

I soaked my brush in an antique bone china mug that belonged to my great aunt and was given to me by mom.

Screenshot_20240331_091631_Gallery.jpg

As for the shave...meh.

The razor is very inefficient compared to its vintage counterparts. After three passes, including ATG, I still felt noticeable stubble in some areas that required touch up with the closest (gasp!) non-vintage razor I had with a blade already loaded.

The Wizamet would have been fine for the 1970's gent seeking a trouble-free, comfortable, DFS, but for the obsessed fanatic (me) this piece of shaving past came up a bit short and will return to its place in a dresser drawer. My Gillette razors (Techs and TTOs) just shave better for me.

Still a fun way to kick off Vintage April.

Final score, after touch up: DFS 9.0

It is my habit to use vintage razors on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, so I'm starting early this year.
View attachment 1820830
Razor: Gillette 1912 ABC Pocket Edition #503, Silver floral pattern
Blade: Rapira Stainless
Brush: Mistic Brush Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Noble Otter Plunder
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Very cool old Gillette, never seen that one before.

Gentlemen I'm going to need a ruling. Is a Schick L1 a go or no go? As far as I know they were produced 72-82 and obviously no way to tell what vintage.
Most information can be found here:

And we’re not running around like the Vintage Police so see if you can pin point it a little more and if not let’s pretend it’s from the earlier runs.

Cheers,

Guido

Well if we are starting early

DFS

1963 Slim Arosticrat
Baker Street
Timeless bowl
RE synthetic
Proraso pre
AccuForge SS (1)
And since gold razor go with gold parfum
Tom Ford Black Orchard Parfum

1st shave with this razor. 1st time using Baker Stereet. Locked her in on 7 and went at it. 2 passes WTG and XTG rinse and done. No feedback no irritation.

DFS 9.5

IMG_0205.jpeg

Top Bottom