What's new

Unexpected job loss.. questions about suit

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I work in IT. It's all about what you know, or at least what you can B.S. that you know. I'd hate to try to land any actual job based on my clothing.

That said... I'm quite fetching in my purple velvet onesie.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd hate to try to land any actual job based on my clothing.

Well, it's not "based on" the clothing.

Once you get over the rather low bar of dressing "appropriately", that's about as far as any interviewer will go in terms of attire. It's just that guys who screw it up will likely screw up other stuff too.

Kind of like the interviewer taking you for lunch. It's not about whether you know which fork to use for which course, they just want to know if you will drink 7 martinis and chew with your mouth open.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Some really excellent advice on this thread! 👍

Before I retired in 4/2021, I ran a nationwide (USA) team of technical project managers who were responsible for the coordination and timely delivery of large scale fiber optic deployments. Having the proper education, certifications and work experience was more important than wearing a suit. Nice shirt & tie, slacks, shoes and grooming worked when I hired a new member of the team.

It is really important to do your research on your prospective employer. Find out everything you can about the corporate culture, dress codes, management structure, hiring manager, etc. Information is your friend.

Best of luck with your search! 👍

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Wow, lots of great advice. I have a few thoughts:

- Suit or no suit definitely depends on the industry and region. I think you've got that nailed, though. Also, the form of interview. Hey, if you've doing a Zoom or telephone interview, you don't need any pants at all!

- I believe that the main purpose of a suit in this day and age is that a well fitting suit will make you look awesome. It just will. Suits (properly tailored, mind you), make fat guys slimmer, slim guys look athletic, and athletic guys look like James Bond. And that's the kind of edge you want in a big interview. It won't hide knowledge gaps or just straight up being a bad fit for the organization, but all other things being equal, will make a good first impression that communicates seriousness and professionalism. Yeah, there's tradition to a suit and all that. But everything is so casual now and as attested above, suits are much less of a hard requirement than they used to be. But they will still unequivocally make you look awesome.

- Poor fitting suits don't do the above and the "leaving the jacket unbuttoned" things only works so far (believe me, I know). If your jacket has room for alteration, you could go that route. As far as wearing the jacket as a sportcoat, I say if its solid navy that could work as a blazer, especially if you switch out the buttons for gunmetal or brown horn. A blue, brown, or gray jacket with texture (i.e. flannel or tweed) or check pattern would also be fine as a sport coat. If the jacket is striped, forget about it. Stripes scream "orphaned suit jacket". Smooth wool solids in any other color besides navy are kind of dicey too.

- You should probably go get a new suit anyway, both for potential future interviews (if you feel it is appropriate) and just because most men should have a suit handy for the usual reasons - weddings, funerals, Father-Daughter dances, stuff like that.

Best of luck with your transition. Fortunately, its a pretty good environment for job seekers right now, so I hope you can catch some of those tail winds.

@MarkM10431, I have a suggestion unrelated to dress but rather pertaining to the interview itself. This is just my view and, believe me, I am not a corporate guy. I will say this has been very helpful to others I have suggested it to.

The goal of the interview is to do your best but more importantly, to be memorable. There will be a number of candidates so how do you stand out? Very simple. At the end of the interview typically they will say, "Do you have any questions for me?" This is where you shine. Here are your two questions:

1. What has surprised you about working here?
2. What do you wish you could change here?

Those are more intelligent questions than they will have ever heard. They will not have a ready answer and that is fine. Remember the goal is to be remembered. Believe me, they will never forget the guy who asked such thoughtful questions.

Here is where you have a monopoly - being yourself. Nobody can touch you there. Firm handshake, good eye contact, a genuine smile conveys confidence. All good stuff.

I hope that helps and good luck!
completely concur on asking the questions. I will typically ask why the interviewer works for the company, what they like about it. As most of my interviews are for sales jobs, I also ask what their sales philosophy is. I've worked places where the close is the most important thing, get the sale worry about everything else later. That's no longer for me. i want to provide something for the client. I want them to remember me as the salesperson who didn't pressure them into something they regretted.

IMHO, it's always better to overdress. You can't go wrong with a jacket, nice-looking pants, and a tie. To me, that's what you dress like if you want to tell your potential employer that you respect them and the time they're taking out of their day to interview you.

None of that needs to be expensive. You can buy decent looking slacks at Walmart for $20. You can get decent looking sport coats at Kohl's for not much money. Ties are cheap as well. All of this is an investment in getting your career back in gear, but you'll be investing probably $100 at most.

Oh, please make sure you have decent shoes as well.

Relative to the person above that mentioned IT and it's all about what you know. I'm in IT as well. While it's true that what you know will get you the job, you're being evaluated on your total package. As an example, I interviewed a young guy a few weeks ago that is entry level. After he got through with my people, I spent a few minutes to get a feel for him on how well he might fit into the company. It was less than 30 seconds before I had written him off. He was wearing jeans, a red hoodie, and red Nikes. Boom, he's out of there. Yeah, he's got the skills. So do hundreds of others. Somebody dumb enough to go to a job interview dressed like that doesn't have enough common sense to make other correct decisions.

Late to the party. I understand that the OP decided to go shirt and tie. I fully acknowledge I am bringing baggage to the table as a 50 something govt atty who was a sales rep for a fortune 100 before that and worked at macy's during HS and college.

Bare minimum for any inside job. Even if you scouted the place three days running and everybody wears polos and khakis.

1. Blue blazer that has more wool than poly in it. It does not have to be 007 tailored but it needs to fit. This is an item that can often be found for under 20.00 at a thrift store 10 to clean/steam it an you are good to go. (Again, I understand that the OP did not wear a blazer)

2. Solid Grey or Solid Khaki pants depending on the season that are obviously clean and well pressed.

3. Solid white or blue dress shirt that fits and is obviously pressed. If you want white, you really need to buy it new. 20 max with a sharp pencil from many retail establishments beginning with walmart. It is better that the neck is one finger loose v. too tight

4 Maroon or blue tie that is clean and no wider than 3.5 inches at the bottom. This is an item that can often be found ready to go at a thrift store for 5 or less.

5. A pair of black or maroon lace up shoes that are obviously shinned. Round toed please.

6. Belt that matches the color of the shoes

7. Lose the earring/nose ring etc for the day.

8. wedding ring only unless you KNOW that your distinctive class or signet ring is a thing.

9. Take something to write with (2) and something to write on. Perhaps a folder with a pad also containing a few hard copies of your resume/application that you may have submitted on line.

10 Write a thank you card legibly within 24 hours and mail it to the folk(s) with whom you interviewed. Nobody does this anymore any you will stand out.

YMMV.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I interviewed a young guy a few weeks ago that is entry level. After he got through with my people, I spent a few minutes to get a feel for him on how well he might fit into the company. It was less than 30 seconds before I had written him off. He was wearing jeans, a red hoodie, and red Nikes. Boom, he's out of there. Yeah, he's got the skills. So do hundreds of others. Somebody dumb enough to go to a job interview dressed like that doesn't have enough common sense to make other correct decisions.

Everyone please read this twice. Or three times.

I interview and hire in a technical industry. I’m a commercial guy but I work with a lot of engineers. I wouldn’t say engineers are exactly good dressers as a general rule, so I set my expectations appropriately and don’t confuse quality of clothes with the quality of the person wearing them.

I don’t necessarily expect them to wear a suit or anything super expensive but my expectation is that they are clean, well presented and have made some effort for the occasion.

As someone else mentioned, people need to have the EQ to read the situation and respond. If someone looks like they just rolled out of bed and came to the interview, in my mind they either don’t know or don’t care - both are not acceptable to me.

Being appropriately dressed won’t make up for a lack of competence but it sets the vibe and gets things off to a good start.

Personally, I wouldn’t wear a tie without a jacket but that’s just me. If you want to smarten up a pair of pants or tidy denim, a good sweater over a dress shirt is a good option.

Good luck, and just relax - you’ve made it in the building for a reason and deserve to be there 👍🏻

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
If you feel you simply MUST wear a suit, go to your local Salvation Army thrift store and pick up an appropriate suit for 20 or 30 bucks.
It doesn't have to be Armani, there are classic cuts that never go out of style

Funny thing is that many times pretty good suits show up in those stores! I've purchased a few over the years. Sure, a couple years off of the front line of fashion, but it's a suit. Clean, pressed, nice tie, polish the shoes. As others have said it's not a fashion contest.

Another important point is that if you're somebody who's not comfortable in a suit because you don't wear one often, spend a bit of time wearing one if you can before you interview; a few days over a week or so. If you're comfortable in what you're wearing you'll interview better.

O.H.

Top Bottom