What's new

Unexpected job loss.. questions about suit

So i lost my job, and I find 2 problems with interviews.. 1. I cannot find the pants to my suit anywhere. 2 the jacket does not fit that well anymore.
so going to the interview, wear the suit jacket as a sportscoat with a darker pair of slacks? forgo the jacket and just wear shirt and tie?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Sorry to hear of your loss of employment. I think that a lot will depend on the position for which you are being interviewed. For a more formal position I suggest not wearing the jacket but instead a quality shirt, tie, and cufflinks, a nice watch, and clean, good quality shoes. For a less formal position I would wear the jacket with trousers of a colour which complements the jacket but is obviously different, i.e. not a dark blue jacket with trousers in a different shade of blue. Maybe dark jacket and cream trousers. Good luck.

I think you need to try and assess the potential work environment as much as possible first and then choose a style that is slightly above. I do a fair bit of hiring and I am always trying to ensure that the individual I hire is a match for the team. Under dressed is not good but over dressed always leaves me trying to guess how they would appear and act on a regular basis.

It's also important that you feel comfortable in what you are wearing. Interviews can be stressful and if you feel uncomfortable in the clothes you are wearing, then that adds to the stress and makes it more challenging for the interviewer to look beyond and assess you objectively.

I am in the sofware business, which is on the more relaxed side, so take this with a grain of salt. If you are in banking, consulting, or professions like that appearance will be more important.

I have interviewed hundreds of candidates. I understand that people who need a job are usually not rich. I look at someone's clothes from the point of view "how would a customer view them?". Just look tidy, it's not a fashion parade. Don't wear anything ripped or dirty and you'll be fine. Good luck.

It depends. Hard to say not seeing it, age of jacket, fit and knowing what field you are going to interview for. My two cents, shirt and tie with a nice pair of slacks. Sharp clean and neat.

If the sport coat is 15 20+ years old, forgo. If it is truly important and you want to go with a sport coat go out and buy a new sport coat you have the means. You will never regret buying a suit that fits if you get the job. You will regret not getting the job you want, if you feel that the image you presented was the barrier to enter. You feel how you look and look how you feel. Subliminal messaging goes a long way.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you feel you simply MUST wear a suit, go to your local Salvation Army thrift store and pick up an appropriate suit for 20 or 30 bucks.
It doesn't have to be Armani, there are classic cuts that never go out of style.
You don't have to wear it ever again if you get the job and don't want to wear it, but there are very good quality clothing items to be had for a fraction of new prices.

Last edited:
If you feel you simply MUST wear a suit, go to your local Salvation Army thrift store and pick up an appropriate suit for 20 or 30 bucks.
It doesn't have to be Armani, there are classic cuts that never go out of style.
You don't have to wear it ever again if you get the job and don'twanttowearit, but there are very good quality clothing items to be had for a fraction of new prices.
This is good advice if you are lucky you may find something that is nice and fits well. Goodwill would also be worth a shot

My last interview.....lost suitcase...., I went to JC Penney, and they had a suit for $26, and the rest was $20? (a while back).....was able to put in a good mix... (all was clearance stuff); stuff I would not have bought otherwise.
That was the only store within walking distance to where I was staying.

And the other time....forgot tie.... and I bought one in the subway (DC). worked fine.

These clearance or used stuff, you MUST make sure they are not stained, and the seams are OK and no defects!

I am an extremely cheap guy and thought multiple times before spending the money this two times....it was worth it in gold.

Sorry to hear about your loss of employment. I’ve been in a similar situation and it can be quite stressful while your in limbo. I’ve always ended up better off for the change eventually. Sometimes it takes a shock like that to force you to take action and make a positive change.

I’m not sure how long you were in your previous job. I have found that things have changed a bit in terms of interview dress code in recent years. The accepted practice now seems to involve wearing what you would actually turn up to work wearing. If that’s a suit then that’s a suit. For me in Construction Management it’s usually something like a shirt and chinos.

During the interview you want to demonstrate that you will fit in with the rest of the team. People want to see the guy that they are really going to get once hired. By all means clean you shoes and wear one of you better shirts and trousers. Most importantly a nice clean shave! With that you will already have an upper hand on most of the candidates.

I live in Australia so there may be different cultural norms in other countries.

I'm interviewing candidates for a lower level position in network engineering. I don't see anyone wearing a suit anymore, at least not in this industry. A shirt and tie has become the norm. I have been told this is typical for many other industries as well. Even a fried who is an attorney tells me they don't wear suits on a daily basis these days. I recommend looking into the company's dress code for their employees and make a decision based on that. Good luck. I hope your job hunt flis met with quick success.

The idea of thoroughly researching the culture and style of the places your applying sounds best. I own a small technology R&D company where about the only enforced dress close is closed toe shoes, required for safety. Up until a couple of years ago job applicants still often showed up wearing suits even though they knew they weren’t required for work. On some level, I think that showed respect and indicated that they took the process seriously. It did not have a significant effect on the outcome. Overall attitude, an ability and willingness to learn, enough formal skills, and seeming like they would be ok on a team were the big items on the menu. More recently applicants have dressed casually more like they might expect to if they got the job.

For me being comfortable and “authentic” is important. Then I am confident and come across as someone who can help.

Great advice guys, thanks. it's a customer service job, but a small company. Funny you said that, Blantyre, it reminded me of my interview with a software company 4 years ago.. the hiring manager looked and me (in the suit) and said, you know we are a software company, right? I think i will just polish up the shoes, take the slacks and shirt to the cleaners and get heavy starch, and roll with it. if that's not good enough for them I don't need to be there

First off, good luck in the interview!
A ton of great advice here. I would agree that the formality of interviews is much less than it used to be. The only other thing I will add is to wear something that makes YOU feel comfortable and good about yourself. If you're feeling like a million bucks, you'll likely come across that way too. Pull out your best watch, favorite shoes, whatever makes you feel like the best you.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1. I cannot find the pants to my suit anywhere. 2 the jacket does not fit that well anymore.

The pants probably don't fit either.

Leaving the suit jacket unbuttoned can still look okay and hide the not-fitting-anymore issue. Leaving the trousers unbuttoned maybe not such a good work-around.

going to the interview, wear the suit jacket as a sportscoat with a darker pair of slacks? forgo the jacket and just wear shirt and tie?

Depends on the suit. Most suit jackets are of a material that anyone who "knows suits" will spot it immediately as part of a suit rather than a sports jacket or blazer. Sometimes you can get away with it, but usually not.

So if you need a suit (see the discussion on that point), then this is not the way to go.

It depends.

Indeed.

Variations by industry, variations by location. Variations by employer (applying for a job at a big "downtown" law firm with 100 lawyers ... wear a suit; applying at a small 2-lawyer firm ... maybe not.
go to your local Salvation Army thrift store and pick up an appropriate suit for 20 or 30 bucks.
It doesn't have to be Armani

The point about wearing a suit to an interview isn't to demonstrate affluence.
4J56.gif

It's to demonstrate the ability of the interviewee to understand and comply with the social conventions around the interview. Does the guy know how to wear a suit properly< Know how to own a suit that fits? Know which suit to wear to an interview, and which one not to? Stuff like that.

It shows the ability to successfully interpret and succeed at adapting to a complex social situation where most people would figure that "good enough" is good enough.

And yes, sometimes the "standard IBM suit" isn't the correct thing to wear. Applying for a job driving a bulldozer ... no suit needed; wearing one marks you out here as someone who doesn't "get it". Horses for courses.

I live in Australia so there may be different cultural norms in other countries.

Lots of geographic variation for "what's appropriate" ... which makes it harder to get and give specific advice on the internet, where we're from all over.

in this industry. A shirt and tie has become the norm.

It's good to reflect the "norm" in whatever industry. I'd also encourage guys to be at the "top of the norm", and maybe push the envelope just a little bit. In amongst a sea of interviewers in shirt-and-tie, the one in the 3-piece suit probably comes across as "the overkill guy" but the guy who tossed on a decent sportscoat ... maybe stands out in a good way.

Hmm ...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

It's to demonstrate the ability of the interviewee to understand and comply with the social conventions around the interview. Does the guy know how to wear a suit properly< Know how to own a suit that fits? Know which suit to wear to an interview, and which one not to? Stuff like that.

It shows the ability to successfully interpret and succeed at adapting to a complex social situation where most people would figure that "good enough" is good enough.

And yes, sometimes the "standard IBM suit" isn't the correct thing to wear. Applying for a job driving a bulldozer ... no suit needed; wearing one marks you out here as someone who doesn't "get it". Horses for courses.

Yep, that's why I prefaced what I said with "If you feel you MUST wear a suit..."
I presumed the OP knows that if he's applying for a job as a Roofer or a Painter or emptying grease pits that a suit probably isn't the best choice for an interview.
By Armani, I didn't mean necessarily affluence, but the fact that someone who wears Armani is getting it tailored to fit him immaculately. So, in that sense, I meant that he shouldn't expect an Armani type experience from an inexpensive suit, but of course it still has to fit adequately and not be a "Saturday Night Fever" special. :lol1:

I'll add that just right up until I retired in April of 2020, I interviewed candidates for field work. These guys worked at power stations in some of the grimiest conditions you can imagine. Standard wear was jeans, carharts, steel toed boots and a hard hat.
The times they would wear a suit was about once every two years for our training seminar dinners.
Nonetheless - the company was a very conservative engineering firm, and anyone who showed up for an interview at headquarters without a suit and tie wasn't getting a job.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
By Armani, I didn't mean necessarily affluence, but the fact that someone who wears Armani is getting it tailored to fit him immaculately. So, in that sense, I meant that he shouldn't expect an Armani type experience from an inexpensive suit, but of course it still has to fit adequately and not be a "Saturday Night Fever" special.

We seem to be talking around the same issue but making different points using the same terms.

What I'd tell a guy about an "interview suit" is to get the best suit he can reasonably afford that "follows the rules" and then have it properly tailored to fit. (Ideally that means you just hem the pants and perhaps shorten the sleeves a bit ... and maybe tuck the jacket a bit at the waist. Most of the "it has to fit" stuff is obtained by buying the right suit, not having a tailor spend tons of his time and your money turning a 44L into a 42R.)

"Follow the rules" means ... ?? ... means a navy blue or darker grey suit without stripes or patterns in the fabric, white shirt, simple tie, black shoes and belt ... if a pocket square just do a "tv fold".

If all you can afford is a thrift shop suit, and it hits those criteria, you are good. If you buy a $3000 suit and it hits those criteria, ditto on being good. They just want to see that you know the criteria and can hit them, not inspect the bill of sale from the tailor's shop.

Here's three different Armani suits ...
1646442853992.png
1646442872483.png
1646442924054.png

... but only one of them "nails it" for an interview.

Sometimes, (and I can think back to when I would make this mistake myself) guys can think that "looking good and stylish" is a "one look suits all" thing and a stylish (and expensive) outfit can (or at least ought to) be appropriate in any situation. I can get a little verbose with this "interview suit" issue because ... I can remember the younger me being a total idiot and having pretty stupid ideas about proper business attire in general and interviews in particular. So I give the guys the advice I wish I had been given all those years ago.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The pants probably don't fit either.

Leaving the suit jacket unbuttoned can still look okay and hide the not-fitting-anymore issue. Leaving the trousers unbuttoned maybe not such a good work-around.

Depends on the suit. Most suit jackets are of a material that anyone who "knows suits" will spot it immediately as part of a suit rather than a sports jacket or blazer. Sometimes you can get away with it, but usually not.

So if you need a suit (see the discussion on that point), then this is not the way to go.

Indeed.

Variations by industry, variations by location. Variations by employer (applying for a job at a big "downtown" law firm with 100 lawyers ... wear a suit; applying at a small 2-lawyer firm ... maybe not.

View attachment 1419192

Lots of geographic variation for "what's appropriate" ... which makes it harder to get and give specific advice on the internet, where we're from all over.

It's good to reflect the "norm" in whatever industry. I'd also encourage guys to be at the "top of the norm", and maybe push the envelope just a little bit. In amongst a sea of interviewers in shirt-and-tie, the one in the 3-piece suit probably comes across as "the overkill guy" but the guy who tossed on a decent sportscoat ... maybe stands out in a good way.

Hmm ...
That was a very well thought out response. I haven't interviewed in years and am now retired, but our sons tell me: Dad, times have changed.

I would say, an ill fitting suit... or a recognizable suit jacket without the suit pants.... will not help. So, if it's appropriate, a nice fitting dress shirt, tie and nicely pressed slacks, as you mentioned, polished shoes, a belt that is close to the same color as the shoes.... and try to be as relaxed as possible.

I wish you well. I hope you get the position and it's better than the one you had previously.

@MarkM10431, I have a suggestion unrelated to dress but rather pertaining to the interview itself. This is just my view and, believe me, I am not a corporate guy. I will say this has been very helpful to others I have suggested it to.

The goal of the interview is to do your best but more importantly, to be memorable. There will be a number of candidates so how do you stand out? Very simple. At the end of the interview typically they will say, "Do you have any questions for me?" This is where you shine. Here are your two questions:

1. What has surprised you about working here?
2. What do you wish you could change here?

Those are more intelligent questions than they will have ever heard. They will not have a ready answer and that is fine. Remember the goal is to be remembered. Believe me, they will never forget the guy who asked such thoughtful questions.

Here is where you have a monopoly - being yourself. Nobody can touch you there. Firm handshake, good eye contact, a genuine smile conveys confidence. All good stuff.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Top Bottom