What's new

Two Schick Injector Blades a Month

Well since I switched over from DE shaving to my Schick injector "model I" a few months ago I've been testing blade longevity. Reading the many posts on injector blade usage I tested my Schick blades for one a week and one every ten days. Then I just finished this April using two blades using one on the 1st and a second on the 15th. I'm happy to say the blades gave me a smooth and close shave. Granted I could see how long one blade last but I'll stop at two blades a month. So my routine is now a blade change on the 1st and 15th of every month.

With this type of usage I'm starting to get near the cost effectiveness of DE blades.

I have gotten 25 good shaves on a Chick blade in a G4 and am currently up to 13 shaves in a PAL Injectomatic with no sign of stopping. The injector blades are truly impressive. I have 18 shaves on a Personna P74 in a Schick J4, and it's just hitting it's stride.

In my younger days I used to shower shave with a schick injector and you guys are right the blades seemed to last a very long time.......and I remember liking them better then carts. But I have not used one in at least a decade now............ but maybe I should keep my eyes open for some in the wild, be nice to try one again.

I have what I believe to be a 1935 E-4 that I have in my rotation, and get great shaves with it and Chick blades.
Classic design that just gets the best results, great razor....

I have gotten 25 good shaves on a Chick blade in a G4 and am currently up to 13 shaves in a PAL Injectomatic with no sign of stopping. The injector blades are truly impressive. I have 18 shaves on a Personna P74 in a Schick J4, and it's just hitting it's stride.

Interesting! But you didn't tell us how tough your whiskers are.

I have what I believe to be a 1935 E-4 that I have in my rotation, and get great shaves with it and Chick blades.
Classic design that just gets the best results, great razor....
Good evening Mr. Calabash, wherever you are,
Ah The Schnozz. well here's some fun Schick history that will help you: http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm
Enjoy your chicks and chave!

ps--here's another: http://www.shaveworld.org/home/shav...3link=&select4link=&select5link=&select6link=

Enjoy!

I started with Schick Injector 40 years ago ... probably then I changed blades twice a month.

Now, I have a PAL Injecto-Matic bought as NOS that I have in my rotation ... but I haven't experimented with longevity of blade.

Everybody into wet shaving needs at least one injector! :thumbup1:

Interesting! But you didn't tell us how tough your whiskers are.

I would consider myself to have a medium beard that's a little patchy in places. I shave three times a week, MWF, and I always do at least a 2.5 to 3.5 pass shave. I don't know how that stacks up to other gents because I don't go around feeling other men's faces. :laugh:

I have been wet shaving more than 50 years, mostly with Injectors, although I occasionally use a DE or ER or SE. In order of increasing preference for razors and blades, I like DE/Feather, SE/Stainless PTFE, and injector/Chick.

Last edited:
I shaved the whole month of April with 1 Schick blade.

Hmmm... was thinking of trying that out. Getting around 30 two pass shaves from one blade would be very cost-effective.

What the heck, I'll give it a try as of this month of May. I've got four down and twenty-seven to go.

Hmmm... was thinking of trying that out. Getting around 30 two pass shaves from one blade would be very cost-effective.

What the heck, I'll give it a try as of this month of May. I've got four down and twenty-seven to go.

I can't get 30 shaves out of every blade but that one just kept going and going. I usually get a good10-12 shaves out of one.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I went to college in the 60's with a yellow Type E in my footlocker. There's still a Schick in the ready rack here that get's pulled out often. The Injectors are the longest lasting blades on this old goat's brillo beard. I can't get 2 weeks, not doing 4 passes and a couple touch-ups a day, but 10 days for sure. Lighter beard (or less regard for closeness, comfort or daily shaving) should allow one a month, as I recall from back then ..

My experience has been that the Chick blades are frequently variable. I think I had to change a couple of them at the 10-11 shaves each turnaround point, but I picked up a new (to me, at least) I-1 Schick, and have enjoyed using it so much I've kept using it day after day so keeping track of the number is easier. Sixteen! All very good, with the only variations being in how slowly I prep my beard, and what cream I use (the only shave from a puck of soap being one of the less-excellent shaves).

P. S. Yesterday, Friday, made the 17th shave, using La Toja, my first shave with that. For some reason, the past three shaves have been in the afternoon. Today, I haven't shaved yet. I won't decide what shaving aids I will use. My limitations on having to use the bottled distilled water, for awhile, is at an end. A hard rain yesterday filled, or nearly did, the main rain barrel.

Last edited:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I have been wet shaving more than 50 years, mostly with Injectors, although I occasionally use a DE or ER or SE. In order of increasing preference for razors and blades, I like DE/Feather, SE/Stainless PTFE, and injector/Chick.
Steve; I don't have your experience but by coincidence those are exactly my choices for blades! Fits my K.I.S.S. principle.

Well my experiment to see how long a Schick,(Chick) injector blade could last ended at twenty shaves. The blade started to bite so I didn't think it would be wise to go any further.

The Schick blade that I have been using is up to the 25th shave on that one. In the same I-1 Schick Injector razor I've been using. I think prior to this, 14 to 16 has been more usual, but I never really kept a good count before.

Me and my Dad were discussing this during their visit on Easter. Injectors do seem to last way longer than most SE or DE blades. I have no known reason why!

I change my DE blades after 25 shaves or so, every couple of months at 3 shaves or so per week. I've never tried to make my injector blades last any longer than the DE, now I'm wondering how far I could have pushed them. I've pretty much switched completely to DE because of the availability and cost of blades, but I've got some blades left and might revisit it when I get done playing with my new vintage DEs. All I know is that I seem to have ruined a perfectly good injector blade by stropping it backwards on my arm like I read was supposed to make it last longer.

Top Bottom