What's new

First shave with a Schick Injector - a few questions

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have just had my first ever shave with a Schick Injector razor and what a wonderful experience it was! Having used an Ever Ready Chromium I found it easy and natural to find the shave angle; this is a razor that will certainly remain in my rotation.

20240120_111317~2.jpg

I have a few questions regarding my setup as shown above:
  • I understand this is a type J1 razor dating between 1959 and 1964 - is this correct?
  • What is the age of the blades shown? Are they are contemporary with the razor or a different date?
  • Are the blades shown considered to be good quality and still suitable for use?
  • How many shaves might I expect per blade?
  • The razor seemed to me to be of moderate aggression - am I correct in that?
  • Given that I might use the razor once or twice per month only, would you advise leaving the blade in place? I considered replacing it with a used blade, or even the dummy blade, between uses. I understand that when inserting a blade there should already be a blade in place to avoid the blade stops damaging the new blade, in other words the razor should not be stored without a blade inserted.
Thank you 👍

My father has worn a beard for decades, and doesn't remember much about what he shaved with when he was a young man other than he really struggled because his beard was so coarse. But he does remember when he got the Schick, and especially the blades, because he could shave his whole face on one blade!

So I suspect they should have good longevity. He would have likely had the same razor, given the timeline.

• I understand this is a type J1 razor dating between 1959 and 1964 - is this correct?
  • 1957 - 1964, by our chart
  • What is the age of the blades shown? Are they are contemporary with the razor or a different date?
  • Eversharp sold Schick in 1970, so that should give some idea.
  • Are the blades shown considered to be good quality and still suitable for use?
  • Yes!
  • Some claim as many as 25 or more.
  • Yes, they got milder with time.
  • Given that I might use the razor once or twice per month only, would you advise leaving the blade in place? I considered replacing it with a used blade, or even the dummy blade, between uses. I understand that when inserting a blade there should already be a blade in place to avoid the blade stops damaging the new blade, in other words the razor should not
  • be stored without a blade inserted.
  • The blades were meant to stay in the razors. I just leave a blade in mine, but others remove them.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
  • 1957 - 1964, by our chart
  • Eversharp sold Schick in 1970, so that should give some idea.
  • Yes!
  • Some claim as many as 25 or more.
  • Yes, they got milder with time.
  • Given that I might use the razor once or twice per month only, would you advise leaving the blade in place? I considered replacing it with a used blade, or even the dummy blade, between uses. I understand that when inserting a blade there should already be a blade in place to avoid the blade stops damaging the new blade, in other words the razor should not
  • be stored without a blade inserted.
  • The blades were meant to stay in the razors. I just leave a blade in mine, but others remove them.
Thank you, that is most helpful 👍

Excellent razor! What a great addition by Mikkel.

Blades are great. I get 25-30 shaves on one blade. My new blades are from Personna - I have to experience if they last as long as the Schicks.

I leave the blade in, but I do clean the razor and blade as much as I can - including rinsing the blade (I take it out and reinsert it again).

Cheers and enjoy!

Guido

I have been switching injector blades between razors for many, many years because I generally never use the same razor two times in a row. A blade can be loaded safely into an empty razor, just be careful not to let the blade edge make contact with the blade stops.

It doesn’t harm injector razors to be stored empty, I have several and they are always empty except on the day I use one.

I keep a dispenser loaded with a few used blades that I’ve dulled by rubbing the edge across a brick that I sometimes insert first before loading a working blade. It can make inserting the new one a little easier with some razors.

It’s really not a big deal swapping injector blades around, it takes me less than a minute, but if you’re not comfortable doing it then don’t.

The J was made from 1957-64. I have one exactly like yours.

The J is less aggressive than the G which is less aggressive than the E. They all shave well.

Do not remove the blades between shaves. They were meant to stay in the razor.

Top Bottom