What's new

Trying all the TOBS scents

Taylor-of-Old-Bond-Street-Shaving-Cream-Bowl-Jermyn-Street-2_49b5610d-d6b6-48c1-ba74-edcf15f2c...jpg

I want to get that sample pack myself. I have tried and enjoyed the sandalwood soap and though it was not what I expected, but I like it a lot. I just ordered some Eton school cream to try. Sounds good, wish me luck. Same for you.

Like many n00bs, my first cream was a tub of TOBS Sandalwood. Liked it so much I got Lemon Lime, then Lavender. Those are the only three that I have used, and still enjoy all three.

Reactions: edw
I ordered the TOBS sample kit from WCS and am very much looking forward to trying them out.

Does anyone know where I can find a sample of Royal Forest and Tobacco Leaf? They weren't included and I'd really like to try them as well.

Not sure of samples, but I have Royal Forest and Tobacco Leaf and love both. RF is a take on Creed Aventus. TL is just a nice, mild, autumnal smell.

I ordered the TOBS sample kit from WCS and am very much looking forward to trying them out.

Does anyone know where I can find a sample of Royal Forest and Tobacco Leaf? They weren't included and I'd really like to try them as well.
Maggards appears to carry those samples.

Grapefruit is next purchase for Spring/Summer 2023. I have enough citrus scents now to get me through to Christmas unfortunately so will wait.

I heard that avocado is out of production.

In a quick Google couldn't find it. I am afraid it's true.

Luckily I have two in stock.

They made the odd choice to discontinue the big tubs. They still have the small travel tubes of avocado in stock on their own website and several shaving vendors. Don't let yours dry out.

Reactions: edw
Thanks for the tip! I ordered the 4 I was missing - Royal Forest, Tobacco Leaf, Avocado, and Lime Zest.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on them. I had Avocado years ago and it was kind of pleasantly floral/greenish. Back in the day it was thought for some reason to lather better than the other offerings, but that could have been hearsay.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on them. I had Avocado years ago and it was kind of pleasantly floral/greenish. Back in the day it was thought for some reason to lather better than the other offerings, but that could have been hearsay.
I plan to do a write-up of some sorts after I get a few uses out of all of them. From a quick smell test of the ones I already have I really like all of the "lighter" and fruity scents - Lavender, Rose, Grapefruit, Coconut, and Lemon & Lime. Of the more classic scents I'm really looking forward to Cedarwood. I feel like Eton College, Jermyn Street, Mr. Taylor, and St. James are very alike and kind of just generic. Sandalwood is definitely the strongest of the bunch; not sure how I feel about it yet.

I suspect I will probably also like Avocado and Lime Zest scents. I'm most excited about Royal Forest and most unsure about Tobacco Leaf.

I'm curious if my thoughts on any of them change with actual use; you would think performance wise they would all be mostly equal but we shall see.

I plan to do a write-up of some sorts after I get a few uses out of all of them. From a quick smell test of the ones I already have I really like all of the "lighter" and fruity scents - Lavender, Rose, Grapefruit, Coconut, and Lemon & Lime. Of the more classic scents I'm really looking forward to Cedarwood. I feel like Eton College, Jermyn Street, Mr. Taylor, and St. James are very alike and kind of just generic. Sandalwood is definitely the strongest of the bunch; not sure how I feel about it yet.

I suspect I will probably also like Avocado and Lime Zest scents. I'm most excited about Royal Forest and most unsure about Tobacco Leaf.

I'm curious if my thoughts on any of them change with actual use; you would think performance wise they would all be mostly equal but we shall see.
I have an old tub of St James and it has a generic aquatic vibe to it when I lather it ( at least to my mind it does ). It's a nice scent without being something I'm infatuated with, but I do keep it in the rotation because it is pleasant to use.

Last edited:

I agree with you, a lot of the more complex scents from TOBS seem to be slight variations of the same scent. Performance did change for me with some of the scents being better. Avocado is actually a cucumber scent, Royal Forest is a creed aventus clone. Some of the scents change and develop a bit when lathered so keep that in mind. You might like it in the tub but dislike it lathered and you may dislike it in the tub but like it lathered.

Top Bottom