What's new

In search for my summer scent - lime! (Reviews)

What is your favorite lime scented cream?

• TOBS Lime Zest

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • GFT Extract of Limes

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • T&H West Indian Limes

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
I'm in the search for my summer scent - and have decided it should be a lime scent! So I have ordered 3 samples to test out:

TOBS Lime Zest
GFT Extract of Limes
T&H West Indian Limes

I will try to write some small reviews on these 3 products - to clarify a winner to put on the wish list. I have never tried any of the brands before and because of that I have no favorite scent wise, brand wise or performance wise.

Test setup is:
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp
Brush: Mühle synthetic
And I will do bowl lathering in a cereal bowl.

Let the battle begin!

First one up: TOBS Lime Zest! (First try)

I used about half the sample (~2.5ml).
My rating is based on what it is - a mass produced cream from a well known manufacturer. As all the contestants are.

Scent (4/5):

Stronger than I expected - both directly from the sample and when lathered in the bowl. Lime, lemon, citrus all over - a little synthetic, but not in an unpleasant way. I like it.

Lather (3/5):
A little goes a long way! I thought I have used way too little soap, it seemed so little in my bowl. But it exploded in lather in a short time - rich, creamy lather. Looked really good in the bowl. I had a little hard time applying it smoothly to my face, it behaved a little weird - could be due to wrong water content.

Performance (4/5):
It performed really well - nice and slick. Plenty of residual slickness. Worked great together with the Gillette Perma-Sharp.
A little minus is that it gave me a slight tingly irritation around my lips - it could contain something that my face did not agree with. We'll see if this happens on the other half of the sample as well.

Overall: 3,5-4/5

I love this more than Seaforth Lime. I love this more than MdC Agrumes.

proxy.php

My personal favorite is Captain's Choice lime cream (which always makes me think of "Well why don't you move into more conventional areas of confectionery, like praline or lime cream; a very popular flavor I'm led to understand.") which has a bay rumtype scednt

Second one up: GFT Limes! (First try)

I used about half the sample (~2.5ml).

Scent (4/5):
More lime zesty. I get a boozy smell - like a great drink with lime in a classy bar. I enjoy it more than TOBS (I think I scored that a bit too high).

Lather (4/5):
It exploded in lather in a short time - rich, creamy lather. Behaved better on my face than TOBS. Very close - could be the same cream base after all.

Performance (4/5):
It performed really well - nice and slick. Plenty of residual slickness. Worked great together with the Gillette Perma-Sharp. Again, could be the same base as TOBS for all I know.
No tingly irritation at all - this is a big plus 😅

Overall: 4/5

And if I remember correctly, Aqua di Parma cream is basically also a citrus/lime type of scent. But I found it too expensive to buy again after my first tub was finished.

Third one up: Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes! (First try)

Again, I used about half the sample (~2.5ml).

Scent (2/5):
Meh. Not for me. Weird synthetic citrus scent. Cannot quite place it - not quite universal cleaner. My wife got a "old man scent" from it - don't know why - she explained that it was something about the "spice" note in this scent.

Lather (3/5):
Lathered easy - just like the other two. Think this is the one I like the least - but it's really too close to come up with a favorite in this category.

Performance (3/5):
For me it performed a little worse than TOBS and GFT, seems to be lacking in residual slickness. Not all bad, but by far the least enjoyable shave of the three. No irritation though.

Overall: 3/5

Top Bottom