What's new

Traditional wallet vs slim wallet vs digital wallet

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
As a young man I used a bifold wallet and kept it in the back pocket of my jeans; the result was an imprint on the back pocket which eventually wore right through the denim, and damage to the wallet. I found a trifold wallet too small, and the long wallet was too large to fit in the back pocket. My wife purchased what, for me, is a high end Coach bifold wallet and I have only carried it in my jacket pocket or in a bag. As a result the wallet looks like new after several years of use. I would now reconsider a long wallet to carry in the same way as I think it looks more refined and stylish. The wear on the jeans back pocket is no longer an issue for me as I am in my 50s and therefore, like any self respecting man of my age, I no longer wear jeans ;)

I have been using the Access Denied minimalist wallet for the last 6 years. It holds Cash, Credit Cards & Drivers License. I really like it. :thumbup1:

Pre-Covid I used to carry a fair amount of cash to pay for lunch, groceries, most buys under $20-30. Along with a few cards, this required a trifold. Post-covid, I use cc for most purchases. I started rotating a collection of 5 or 6 minimal cardholder style wallets. Room for 4 cards, 2 slots each side, and 3 or 4 twenties in the small center pocket. At the high end I like a Goyard St. Sulpice in burgundy, mid-level a nice croc from Sid Mashburn and a George Cleverly (ultra minimal) in leather dragged up from a sunken ship, and everyday a couple of vintage car seat jobs from Couch (not Coach), and a Hershel in camo.

I also use an Allett slim wallet - bifold leather version. I keep it in my back pocket, and have had this one for years. Maybe close to a decade or more now. I find trifolds, in general, to be too thick. And I'm not hip enough to move over to full digital wallet.

Stainless steel clip that holds cash, cards, drivers license in my front pocket. Not sure where I got the clip, but it has been with me for a good 20 years. My wallets I used to use always ended up so rough looking and the bad thing that I ended up with pimples where ever I wore my wallet because it got so hot.

I am with @ByMyBeard that I am not hip enough to use a digital wallet. Besides I am not sure I would want to either.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been using a Rogue front pocket wallet for a few years now. I try and keep it minimal, but I have no memory so I need to carry license, 2 medical ID cards, beer crowler card, 3 credit cards and a handful of cash. They have many leather choices - I like the soft ones.

Preference is a bifold carried in the front pocket. I used cash for small purchases pre-pandemic but hardly at all afterwards. But since I don't like money clips or card wallets and still want to carry a few bills or even more bills when traveling I like to keep the same wallet, so nothing important is left behind. I tried shuffling between 2 wallets; a smaller one for everyday when near home and a bigger one when occasionally traveling but did not like the experience.

I've had one like this for the longest time...
proxy.php

These days it's all about the slim to hold exactly 1 Visa CC, US Passport Card, VA Credentials, and CA DL
Of course this is in supplement to the iPhone

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I've been using a Rogue front pocket wallet for a few years now. I try and keep it minimal, but I have no memory so I need to carry license, 2 medical ID cards, beer crowler card, 3 credit cards and a handful of cash. They have many leather choices - I like the soft ones.
I use Rogue, too. I use a credit card wallet and drop it in my left front pocket. It is moose. I love it. My son uses the front pocket wallet. Rogue put a grommet in it for him. He has autism and uses a tether to keep from losing it. I love Rogue.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
I've used the Saddleback Slim Buisness card holder for over a decade. 3 cards per side and a few bills folded in half sandwiched in the folded halves. I rarely use cash, likely some of the same bills in there since before COVID, and since the advent of Apple pay the wallet doesn't leave my pocket.
My CC seems to only come out when I'm in the US as there is far less tap to pay uptake than anywhere else in the world. And the only time my card ever seems to get compromised.

Back to the wallet, my only regret is getting the black leather. A brown would be showing a nice patina right now.

I’m on my second Popov (puppy got #1) I mounted a money clip in both. I’ll keep this until I have to transition to digital currency and an implanted chip or iris scan I guess. Or just go live in Barter Town

I grabbed a Rigid knockoff waiting on the new one, and the rigidity of it and the corners were uncomfortably apparent. Cards were more fiddly to get out than the Popov and longer to get them back in “their” place on the stack. Pass.

IMG_6964.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been using a Ridge wallet for a few years. I carry it in my front pocket.
They say it has some RFID protection for your debit/credit cards.
I had a gift card and thought I would try it out. I used a small leather front pocket wallet before that.

I found out that years of sitting on a thick wallet in your back pocket could lead to back problems.
I started keeping a smaller wallet in my front pocket and those back issues went away.
I also think it would probably be harder for someone to pick you front pocket than your back pocket (but that is just a guess).

I tried a bi-fold wallet for a jacket but I rarely wear a jacket (or not one with pockets deep enough to hold a wallet of that type).

Have used Ralph Lauren Polo card case for decades, maybe 25 years now, probably closer to 30 years. On my second one now about 5 years old.

Holds DL, credit card, and a couple of bills. Everything I've needed and nothing I don't for many years.

My Open Sea Leather Topside Bifold LT arrived today. After years of frustration switching between a bulky traditional bifold that hurt my back in my back pocket and too-small front-pocket card holders, I think I've found the perfect front-pocket wallet. It can store cash that can easily be accessed and can be inserted without folding, has plenty of room for a few cards, including a couple quick-access slots, and can accommodate my card-sized car key.

It smells good, too.

I've used a Saddleback Front Pocket Leather ID Wallet for years, and it looks as good as the day I received it. I almost never carry cash, so I just need room for my driver's license, credit/debit card, and insurance card.

Today I received this Good Wilhelm Slim RFID Bi-Fold in vegetable/pit tanned chocolate Vachetta leather. I wanted to bring down my Office/Suit MB wallet down to the size of my casual 5.11 Tactical. Let’s see how this wears and holds up.

ADEE36D5-2C02-4930-BE07-7D24FF5A311A.jpeg

4929F86B-24A3-4E9D-AB4D-D0317FAE36E2.jpeg

11B4DAEC-95FD-465A-B781-C4A9A423D496.jpeg

Top Bottom