What's new

Super Stainless vs. Platinum vs. Titanium vs. Carbon Steel

These coatings are deposited in an extremely thin layer a few atoms thick. They do have some benefits, but you can't really go by what the package says, unfortunately, that is just Marketing. You have to go by your experience in trying the blades.

I think this is the best and most realistic answer. These are all PVD applied "coatings" which bond with the surface of the metal on a molecular level.

Different blades have different combinations of these coatings. They are nothing that a human being is going to differentiate.

PTFE coatings are applied on top of the PVD coatings and rub off with use.

Indeed. Many years ago I threw my wife's expensive stainless steel kitchen knife into the dishwasher instead of handwashing. I learned my lesson about stainless being a relative term the hard way.

Keep in mind that electric dishwashing detergent contains harsh chemicals that are not naturally found in water.

Regular stainless steel kitchen knife blades are not designed to be subjected to these harsh chemicals.

Even knives and other steels that are designed to be used around salt water or other chlorides are made from different steels, such as 316L.

And some blades have different honing machines for the same blank. Gillette and Personna are about the most confusing of all for me!

I've noticed a difference too. After trying all kinds of blades like - Chrome, Platinum, Chrome Platinum (like the Yellow BIC), Stainless/Extra Stainless, Iridium etc. I've realized that more often than not, the ''Stainless'' blades like Nacet Stainless, Perma-Sharp Stainless and Minora Stainless seem a bit sharper than blades like Gillette Platinum light or dark blue and Gillette Silver Blue.

Of course, the reason behind that might also be, because I've mainly used Russian P&G blades and very few blades like BIC CP, Feather, KAI, Bolzano and Personna Lab Blue have impressed me, while pretty much everything else that I've tried was ''meh'' at best.

A few months ago I've decided that Nacet is going to be my one and only blade and I've sold and gave alway all the others blades that I have and I don't see the point of trying new blades anymore. It's a very nice and versatile blade and so far it's working equally good in both mild and very efficient razors and if a razor doesn't agree with the Nacet, then it has to go instead of me trying to find a blade just for that razor. The Perma-Sharp Stainless and the Minora Stainless are also very good or just as good as the Nacet Stainless though.

Top Bottom