What's new

Are carbon steel blades good in vintage razors?

I've never used carbon steel razor blades, but I'm aware that the vintage Gillette Blue Blades were carbon steel. How do modern carbon steel blades compare? Would modern carbon steel blades be good in a vintage Gillette razor? Are there any differences in sharpness, smoothness, thickness in modern carbon steel vs stainless steel blades?

There aren't a lot of companies producing carbon steel blades anymore but Treet, out of Pakistan, is one of them. I've used a few of them and found them quite good. I will confess I don't put them in the Gillette class but they're quite usable.

I've never used carbon steel razor blades, but I'm aware that the vintage Gillette Blue Blades were carbon steel. How do modern carbon steel blades compare? Would modern carbon steel blades be good in a vintage Gillette razor? Are there any differences in sharpness, smoothness, thickness in modern carbon steel vs stainless steel blades?
I can't help you with your first question, but I have used Treet Falcon (carbon) and Treet Platinum (stainless). I don't notice a difference in weight or size between them. The Platinum actually is smoother and sharper in my subjective opinion than the carbon steel. I plan to try the Treet Dura Sharp soon - by most accounts it is the best carbon Treet offering.

I have used the Treet Falcon (and other "mild" blades) in my Gillette Tech (prewar model). <shrugs> It's probably my beginner level technique, but I prefer very sharp blades like the Gillette Nacet in the Tech. It seemed like I needed more care with mild blades to get a thorough and smooth shave... Too much work for me.

I plan to try the Treet Dura Sharp soon - by most accounts it is the best carbon Treet offering.

I have used the Treet Falcon (and other "mild" blades) in my Gillette Tech (prewar model). <shrugs> It's probably my beginner level technique, but I prefer very sharp blades like the Gillette Nacet in the Tech. It seemed like I needed more care with mild blades to get a thorough and smooth shave... Too much work for me.
I agree on both points.
In my opinion, the Dura Sharp is the best Treet blade.
And, yes, I prefer sharp blades like the Nacet.

I can't help you with your first question, but I have used Treet Falcon (carbon) and Treet Platinum (stainless). I don't notice a difference in weight or size between them. The Platinum actually is smoother and sharper in my subjective opinion than the carbon steel. I plan to try the Treet Dura Sharp soon - by most accounts it is the best carbon Treet offering.

I agree on both points.
In my opinion, the Dura Sharp is the best Treet blade.
And, yes, I prefer sharp blades like the Nacet.
Thanks. I also like Nacet. It sounds like the Treet Dura Sharp would be the best carbon steel blade for me to try.

I asked this question long ago when I started, in a long lost thread.

I did try the Treet carbon in a 48-49 Super Speed. It was good for about 2 shaves then it..wasn't. Enough said. It became tuggy very quicky. I'm quite insensitive the these things normally but I found it unpleasant to use after a couple shaves.

One thing about carbons is they do have a limited capacity for being re-sharpened to prolong life. There were many gadgets back in the day for that and they can be stropped I believe.

Vintage Gillettes love modern blades and are wonderfully blade tolerant, unlike many moderns which appear more fussy. I have a tuck of English Gillette Blues from about 1960 but it's not worth bothering with.

Last edited:
The Treet carbon steel blades I tried were smooth, but only mid-sharp. I could get a couple of good shaves from each before changing it out. It's a good idea to dry the blade between shaves, IOW don't put it away wet.

BTW, Treet Dura Sharp blades have a Teflon coating, unlike the original carbon steel blades.

A carbon steel blade is all we had in 1950's, people used, got good results, and the were the standard for many years. Super Blade cost more back in 1960's, and many people stiuck with what worked. Why fix what is not broken?

Well, carbon is what makes the blade sharp (embedded carbides, be they iron, chromium, vanadium or tungsten). Carbon makes the blade hard, pure iron is very soft.

Iron carbide makes very small particles, hence the ability to get a keener edge on carbon steel, but leave the base allow with less abrasion resistance that chromium or vanadium carbides. Those carbide particles are much larger, so you get a less keen but highly wear resistant edge.

Biggest difference is that stainless blades do not corrode, and corrosion severely limits the life of carbon steel edges.

Carbon steel (like Treet Classic) are great for me in a 1/2DE blade shavette. More forgiving than ss and performs more like shaving with a carbon steel SR

Feather still makes a carbon steel double edge blade and a carbon single edge blade for One blade.. They are so dull and tuggy compared to the companies stainless steel blades.

Feather still makes a carbon steel double edge blade and a carbon single edge blade for One blade.. They are so dull and tuggy compared to the companies stainless steel blades.
I haven't tried Feather stainless steel blades, because they would probably be too rough for me. I'll pass on the carbon steel Feather and try the Treet Dura Sharp.

I haven't tried Feather stainless steel blades, because they would probably be too rough for me. I'll pass on the carbon steel Feather and try the Treet Dura Sharp.
Treet black beauties are one of the only carbon steel blades that are readily available online. While not being the sharpest blades, many people do like them. Regular feather blades for me are among the smoothest and sharpest blades available. Everyone should at least try them once.

Treet black beauties are one of the only carbon steel blades that are readily available online. While not being the sharpest blades, many people do like them. Regular feather blades for me are among the smoothest and sharpest blades available. Everyone should at least try them once.
I've seen Treet Dura Sharp at Razor Blades Club.

Can't directly help you, but I can provide some background from the culinary world.
Carbon steel takes a great edge, I worked in a meat processing plant, and I could easily put an edge on a knife that I could have shaved with.
Now to the negatives, carbon steel rusts. A razor edge has a lot of surface area to mass so it rusts.
If you were to ask me if it's good for a strait razor, I'd say it's perfect, dressing the edge is part of the blade.

Top Bottom