What's new

Tradere OC VS SB

It is more likely that you shave with an angle that was too steep.

Shaving with the Tradere or the Pils or any of the iKon razors that had a similar design takes some people a bit of getting used to. They aren't 'plug and play' because the design is substantially different from most razors you have used in the past.

Keep trying it. Over time it should click. If it doesn't, or if you decide the razor just isn't for you, I don't think you would have much trouble selling it.
Interesting you say that. I have an iKon that I also can't get the hang of. Not sure if I'd ever sell it but there are other modern razors that are tempting me.

Interesting you say that. I have an iKon that I also can't get the hang of. Not sure if I'd ever sell it but there are other modern razors that are tempting me.
Lord, if I'd seen that you have a Tradere, I wouldn't have suggested anything else. As kingfisher notes, come off the cap, and that will open it up dramatically; if you ride the comb instead of the cap, you'll see where all of the shock and awe comes from. The angle will be similar to the Funken, albeit the Tradere is significantly heavier.

It does handle differently than many other razors, but it is an excellent performer.

Lord, if I'd seen that you have a Tradere, I wouldn't have suggested anything else. As kingfisher notes, come off the cap, and that will open it up dramatically; if you ride the comb instead of the cap, you'll see where all of the shock and awe comes from. The angle will be similar to the Funken, albeit the Tradere is significantly heavier.

It does handle differently than many other razors, but it is an excellent performer.
By "shock and awe", do you mean it is very aggressive riding the comb? I am going to try the Tradere again in a day or two when I'm ready for another shave.

By "shock and awe", do you mean it is very aggressive riding the comb? I am going to try the Tradere again in a day or two when I'm ready for another shave.
Exactly. People used to post-War Gillettes generally shave "in the gap", meaning the space between the edge of the cap and the guard ride the face, as the blade has minimal exposure. "Aggressive" razors increase blade exposure and/or gap, Tradere does both. When developed, the Tradere was fairly unique, with a substantial blade gap, and if users got too close to it, things got bloody.

If by multiple, you mean two, then the answer is yes.

The first-generation open comb was apparently pretty aggressive, so Richard toned it down for the second run.
I have the first generation. It isn't as gapped as the Stirling HA(I do have), but is probably close to the SA(I don't have).

Exactly. People used to post-War Gillettes generally shave "in the gap", meaning the space between the edge of the cap and the guard ride the face, as the blade has minimal exposure. "Aggressive" razors increase blade exposure and/or gap, Tradere does both. When developed, the Tradere was fairly unique, with a substantial blade gap, and if users got too close to it, things got bloody.
Then I'll try the Tradere again with a fresh feather blade. I found the Tradere disappointingly non-efficient, but sounds like an angle issue on my end.

Top Bottom