What's new

Top jimps

Has anyone had much success adding jimps by hand?
If so, how would you recommend doing it without power tools?

Well I'll take a stab at it. Without power tools you can't. Tempered steel just laughs at a file. Won't cut it worth a darn. But yes, I've added jimps to several razors.

There are specific jimping files for gun making you can use... I have one and they Are not cheap, but they will cut steel... The thing about jimping is after you cut the grooves you must sand over they area to blunt the edges

Last edited:
Well I'll take a stab at it. Without power tools you can't. Tempered steel just laughs at a file. Won't cut it worth a darn. But yes, I've added jimps to several razors.

Ok, what would you recommend as a minimum requirement?

There are specific jimping files for gun making you can use... I have one and they Are not cheap, but they will cut steel... The thing about jimping is after you cut the grooves you must sand over they area to blunt the edges

Sound like it might be worth looking into.
Any recommended vendors?

I think I might try doing something with a dremel.

where's seraphim when you need him?

Do not use a dremel... There isn't a fine enough dremel disk out there that can make small jumps... Now large fat jumps maybe but dremel = bad for fine work

As for the gun file I forgot where I bought it

Seems like the gun file would be the way to go.
If anyone knows of a vendor in Australia, please give me a heads up.

I would try it with diamond triangular jeweler's files. Pretty inexpensive and because so little material is removed, it should cut pretty fast. I have not done this though so it is just an idea, not a recommendation.

Brian

Has anyone had much success adding jimps by hand?
If so, how would you recommend doing it without power tools?

Seems like the gun file would be the way to go.
If anyone knows of a vendor in Australia, please give me a heads up.

I think the file you are thinking of is called a checkering file. It has to be used BEFORE the heat treating, so will not work on a finished razor. I would go with the diamond triangle file.

Use a Dremel with the fine disc. I've never had gun files but I kinda doubt they'll work. Guns are not heat treated to the same Rc that a knife or razor is. That's why you can engrave a gun after its built but you can't use engravers on a finished razor.
I also have diamond files which I have tried and they did nothing but scratch the surface as they slid around. Tempered steel is hard.
Seems I've been showing these shots a lot lately but here are some jimps I did with a Dremel type tool
Not sure if they're small enough for what you're looking for. But it's a start.
Fancier type of zig zag jimps as well as the traditional straight lines on the bottom thumb cut outs.

Attachments

• $IMG_4393.jpg
    $IMG_4393.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 109
  • $IMG_4371.jpg
    $IMG_4371.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 109
  • $IMG_4391.jpg
    $IMG_4391.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 109
  • $IMG_1127.JPG
    $IMG_1127.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 109
  • $IMG_1107.JPG
    $IMG_1107.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Files will give very disappointing results on hardened steel. The cheap way to go will be a Dremel and a small (1/16") cylindrical diamond bit. For bigger "bronto-jimps" (tm) you can use the small sanding drums that manicurists use. Not the bigger 1/2" ones in the dremel kits. A jig of some kind, for uniform depth and spacing, would be a good idea I think.

Before you do anything, try your chosen method on a GD66 or a fleabay special not worth restoring. If you order GD66's directly from buyincoins, 10 or more are I think $3.34 each, including shipping from China. My last batch was $3.06/ea because I had a discount coupon by virtue of a previous purchase. These make great lab rats. Try crazy ideas out on these super cheap razors. While you are at it, de-horn and slim one down into a shaver, and dress it up in nicer scales. The steel is good and there is plenty there to work with.

Slash is right, gun steel isn't the same as tempered razor steel. I doubt very much if a file is going to do anything. I have Swedish files and they do nothing.
Finished guns can be engraved, razors can't. Gun steel is softer. If it was as hard as a razor they'd shatter and not be able to absorb the blasts.
Since my last post I did a quickie test to show what can be done with a Dremel. I held these to 1/32 of an inch as you can see I got sixteen in a half inch. Yes, a bit rushed looking but getting close. I can get them finer if I dress the edge with each stroke.
Then I moved up the shaft and made some of the jimps that look more like ripples. Wider and more rounded. I didn't finess them to a polished finish as they should be , but you'll get the idea.
China razor by the way!

Attachments

• $IMG_6204.JPG
    $IMG_6204.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 104
  • $IMG_6206.JPG
    $IMG_6206.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 102
  • $IMG_6207.JPG
    $IMG_6207.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 102
  • $IMG_6209.JPG
    $IMG_6209.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Lol, first I need to stop by homedepot to find some sort of fine disk cutting tool for the dremel! I doubt you used the standard one as it is a bit large?
And some brass tube for that other frameback razor... maybe a few more sheets of sanding paper, can't have too many of these... A nice weekend it should be!

Yeah, they come like a dozen or so in a little round case. Flat skinny discs for cut off work. And you need the mandrel for them too. Use with caution though. They come with hours of fun built right in!

Last edited:
Top Bottom