What's new

Toggle lovers Club/TLC. Post all things Toggles here+ pics and tips

Looks good, and on the plus side, 3-9 is where the good shaves are at

I soaked it today in Dawn, there so so much crud in it, I was surprised it worked at all. Happy to announce, it works all the way 1-9. Yea!!! It shines better now also.

There was big chunks of stuff, it was gross.

Bluelon
Great news, love these stories.....i prefer not to take them apart to fix so i am happy that the alternative steps worked.

I humbly submit for your membership consideration:

One question: I actually expected this to arrive in worse shape than it actually is. The auction pictures made it look like low user-grade, but I would definitely call this one high user-grade. It's missing a little bit of plating, but still looks very much gold. Most of the "gunk" that was on it soaked off. However, it is missing the most important part: The red dot. What is the best (durable, and close to the original) type of paint to use for the dot and numbers?

Didn't know this thread existed. Amazing what you stumble across if you hang around long enough. Here's my D1 just recently acquired.
Worn plating, no case, but it's mine! :thumbup:

$toggle_4.jpg

This was before I cleaned him up. He's happy, because he's snuggling against a pretty girl, but he's sad because he has no red dot. Anyone know how I'd go about re-painting that? Is it as simple as nail polish? Fire engine red?

This was before I cleaned him up. He's happy, because he's snuggling against a pretty girl, but he's sad because he has no red dot. Anyone know how I'd go about re-painting that? Is it as simple as nail polish? Fire engine red?

I want her [ toggle]:thumbup1:

I humbly submit for your membership consideration:

One question: I actually expected this to arrive in worse shape than it actually is. The auction pictures made it look like low user-grade, but I would definitely call this one high user-grade. It's missing a little bit of plating, but still looks very much gold. Most of the "gunk" that was on it soaked off. However, it is missing the most important part: The red dot. What is the best (durable, and close to the original) type of paint to use for the dot and numbers?
I use finger nail polish in red, just dab it on and it should dry up nicely.

At the advice of a proven professional razor restorer, I used Testors Gloss Red Enamel #1103 for the dot, and it turned out absolutely perfect. I got some reliable advice that nail polish might not be as durable, as it was not designed to adhere to metal. He also recommended Gloss Black #1147 for the numbers. My Toggle looks almost new! :thumbup:

At the advice of a proven professional razor restorer, I used Testors Gloss Red Enamel #1103 for the dot, and it turned out absolutely perfect. I got some reliable advice that nail polish might not be as durable, as it was not designed to adhere to metal. He also recommended Gloss Black #1147 for the numbers. My Toggle looks almost new! :thumbup:

True, but that is if your constantly rubbing or if the paint is outside....the numbers are engraved in so there is not much or any contact to wipe off or wear out the paint, but the paint is the best option too.

I agree completely, it's probably overkill. I actually had red nail polish in my cart at the grocery store, but put it back at the last minute. Then I happened upon a Testor's set on sale at Jo-Ann Fabrics for $6 that had 10 colors, (I think) and included both the red and black. Seemed to be the Universe telling me it was meant to be. Plus, now I'm free to re-do the numbers on my Fatboy in orange! (Not really...) :lol:

I agree completely, it's probably overkill. I actually had red nail polish in my cart at the grocery store, but put it back at the last minute. Then I happened upon a Testor's set on sale at Jo-Ann Fabrics for $6 that had 10 colors, (I think) and included both the red and black. Seemed to be the Universe telling me it was meant to be. Plus, now I'm free to re-do the numbers on my Fatboy in orange! (Not really...) :lol:
Post the pics when your done, it would be great to see.....

Wondering where this thread went. When did it go here? Anyway for posterity. My nickel Toggle...:001_smile

Attachments

• $IMG_20140612_220150_339.jpg
    $IMG_20140612_220150_339.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 59
Wondering where this thread went. When did it go here? Anyway for posterity. My nickel Toggle...:001_smile

I'm on the Tapatalk app right now, so I can't post the drool icon. Let's see if this works... :drool:

Nice pics. Rarity aside, I much prefer nickel plate to gold, but I think I was stretching Mrs chamm's patience with the regular ol' gold Toggle. =D

I'm on the Tapatalk app right now, so I can't post the drool icon. Let's see if this works... :drool:

Nice pics. Rarity aside, I much prefer nickel plate to gold, but I think I was stretching Mrs chamm's patience with the regular ol' gold Toggle. =D

Thanks. I hear you about stretching the patience bit. When I bought it I had to do some explaining and she gave me a look :glare:but then bought me the display which she actually likes. Still trying to figure women out. I "think" I'm close...

Last edited:
Does anyone know why Gillette abandoned the toggle-switch design after one model?

It seems like a good idea, and easier to identify whether your blade is securely locked down than with the quarter-turn lock on models like the Fatboy and those that follow.

There must be a reason why they chose to switch designs, but I can't figure out what it is.

Top Bottom