What's new

Today I learned what blade I *don't* like

I think for a newbie 10 days in, there is as much or more reason to suspect you just messed up as there is to blame the new blade.

Keep the blades and try them again in a few months.

I am a newbie as well and I keep a list of the blade I use and the results as I am working through my sample pack of blades just as a reference. I get a bad shave when I rush and don't watch what I am doing.
I like the derby blades and keep going back to that blade as my reference point when I try a different blade because I got a good shave but still want a closer shave.

Stick with what works for you. Nothing wrong with that at all. I found 1-3 blades that I use regularly that work awesome for me. When I decide to try something new, I target blades that have the characteristics I know will work for me and will work well with my razors. Been fortunate to have found blades that work well in all my DE's equally well. Upside, for me personally, can spend my money on other stuff like soaps, cologne, AS, etc. Great to try stuff, but if something works really well. don't mess with it.

Yes to all of the above...:laugh:

Ha! Exactly... yes and yes. IMHO, for now stick with whatever blade works well, then try sampling a variety of blades a few months down the road to see if you can't find your Excalibur. Welcome and good luck! It took me wayyyy longer than 10 shaves to find a comfy blade (Feathers and Polsilver SIs for me), so you're off to a good start.

This evening, I revisited the Feather. It's been a quite a while and I thought perhaps my technique has improved to where I may enjoy this blade. I certainly like the sharpness, but it was a rough shave. I'll stick with my Perma-Sharp Supers and Polsilver SI's.

I agree that staying loyal to a blade that makes you happy makes good sense. For me it was Astras all the way for the first 6 months or so of DE shaving. I had several false starts with Feather blades before I finally clicked with them. I understand now that my difficulties with the feather was always related to our old friend, pressure. I think that of all the old habits acquired from decades of cart shaving, applying too much pressure was the most difficult to break. I still feel it coming back on me every now and then so I have to remind myself (or the razor reminds me - lol) to stay focused.

This evening, I revisited the Feather. It's been a quite a while and I thought perhaps my technique has improved to where I may enjoy this blade. I certainly like the sharpness, but it was a rough shave. I'll stick with my Perma-Sharp Supers and Polsilver SI's.
I think that the polsiiver are better blade

From what I have experienced, I think the main problem for many beginners, is that they are trying to shave too close, too often, and too soon... Then, while going through their sample packs, they accumulate wears and tears on their faces, that will pop up suddenly under the form of weepers, razor burn, irritations, ingrowns, while they are using a blade that could be perfectly fine in another situation, but the result is they will start to blame that particular blades, while the actual harm to their faces was done by other blades, used previously and often, very often, too aggressively... Add to the mix a not very good prep and lather, uncertainties about the razor you have chosen to start wetshaving with, well... it can be very confusing. :bored:

Last edited:
It's worth trying another Lord as well as any others you get bad results with at a later date when you've developed your technique. You'll always get good days and bad days when you first start out DE shaving.

After 18 months, I can usually get a passable shave from most blades, but I'll struggle with some of them
Rapira Stainless, Shark Stainless, Astra Platinum and Centwin Platinum are probably the best 'all rounders' in my rotation
The only blades physically I can't use are Dorco because they're too dull and Derby because my face and Derby blades are just chalk and cheese.

Welcome aboard!!

I suggest that many things are changing for you these days. Mainly, your technique. That is the thing to concentrate on IMO,

You should reconsider your blade options after you have been at this for a few months, you may well be surprised! I also find that my choice of blade changes depending on the razor.

Top Bottom