What's new

Today I learned what blade I *don't* like

I started a bag of shame for sample packs that 2+ blades have been horrible. So far Lord Classic and Derby are in it.

Life is too short to have a bunch of bad shaves because you use a blade you know is not good to you.

Phil

A bag of shame. Love it! If I had one, Derby's would be in there and I think that would be it. It's funny just how different blades perform for different people.

I've been using my new DE razor for about 10 days now, working slowly through the sample pack of blades to figure out which brand is right for me. Started with Derby (liked them, but didn't have anything to compare them to). Tried Merkur (liked them even better than the Derby, but still had so little to compare them to). For the first week of shaves, I was really comfortable - no razor burn and very nice shaves.

Today I tried a Lord. It tore me up. Five or six weepers and a batch of razor burn on my neck that still hurts over 12 hours later.

I've been using the same product, same technique, same prep and post-shave for all the blades.

Is there really that much difference from one blade to another? Is it really the case the everyone has very difference reactions to the blades? Or, is this just a case of of newbie who has inconsistent shaves and happened to tear himself up on the same day that he switched to a new brand of blade?

Probably the best way to say it is that a first impression is a lasting impression. If the first blade of a particular brand was bad, it likely means you had a bad blade and others are good.

Some blades are sharper than others.

Most likely, some blades last longer than others.

Generally speaking, Derby gets mixed reviews, suggesting to me that perhaps quality control isn't as good as in blades that get more positive reviews. You're the first one I've read that liked Merkur blades. Likely when you get a good one of any brand it's as good as anyone's.

I like Medical Personna and Astra Superior Platinum the best. Sometimes I like a sharper one, which in my opinion is Feather.

Try one more Lord if you have one on hand before rendering the final verdict.

When you figure out which one you would like to go with and get a bad shave, just discard the blade and try again.

Definitely hold onto "bad" blades and try them later. Especially when you have more than one razor (and that's pretty much an inevitability).

I had some Gillette SharpEdge yellows in a sampler, and hated them when I first tried them. I was trying everything in a Merkur open comb at the time, and they irritated the hell outta my face. Months later, I dropped one in a Gillette Slim and got a great, comfortable shave. And, ever since, they've continued to do so in that razor.

Likewise, the Personna Blue lab prep blades that are super-smooth in that Merkur are razor-burn machines in my flair-tip Superspeed. In the Superspeed, Crystals/IPs are very smooth, if not super-close. Those same blades in another razor pull and tug. Feathers in the OC Merkur are precision weapons, but in the Slim are twitchy and prone to bite at any lapse in attention.

The only blades that have been universally bad for me have been Astra SPs, Dorco 301's, and Merkurs. Some people love the Astras, but they're harsh for me. The Dorco's are about the same sharpness as the Crystals, but dull quickly. And the Merkurs... just let's not talk about them.

I also like the Merkurs, 7 o'clock blues are ok for about 3 shaves & Astra are pretty good too.

Take your time & enjoy the shave.

Jack Russell

+1 to everything ... Especially the part about re-visiting your sampler pack in several months.

After your technique improves, you may find that blades that didn't perform for you at first will work wonders once you learn the intricacies of putting razor to face.

Also, bear in mind that some blades perform differently when matched with a variety of razors ... Feathers are notorious for this, but all brands have their pairings. Finding the right combo(s) is an art, not a science, but work on your technique first, so that this variable is stabilized first and foremost.

this.

This is a neat thread to see pop back up in to rotation. For the more experienced shavers, in your opinion:

• What is a good sample pack number (5 blades, 10 blades, etc)

• What should a new shaver being doing (shave with a particular blade until it is time to replace and then try another of the same make and then move on, or cycle through makes as soon as your done with the old one)?

• What is a good total number of blades sized sampler (e.g., 35 blades, 50 blades, etc)?

I tried my first Lord today, and had a similar experience to yours. I'm new, but I've had close and comfortable shaves from other brands.

Don't worry for a second! Sometimes, technique is the culprit, but more often, its a bad blade or bad batch. Assuming that you are able to get a great shave from one or more other blades, of course....

I love most any blade from the Russian Gillette plant, including my price/performance favorite, Astra. I can wet my face, use a bit of bar soap to loosen up skin oil, and quickly shave away to as nice a finish as the event calls for without a nick using that group of blades.

On the other hand, Feathers require patience (for me), and usually leave a bit of sensitivity and a few weepers behind... Totally unacceptable.... I can get a critically acclaimed smooth shave out of a Russian blade with one more fast and carefree pass, and in less time without any irritation or weeper leaks at all. I do like the Feather wrapper though...

Shark blades have a good following, but the hundred I bought are meat grinders to me. I gave most away, and have heard no complaints. Go figure, different blades for different faces. I'll never buy another Shark blade. I still own Feathers, but just for the pretty wrapper and Wow factor for those so impressed. I've used them over and over for more than a year, and in five different razors. I'll not bother again. They just require too much sacred ritual, and too much time for too little an edge (a pun?), and too much risk of blood or irritation compared to any Russian blade.... Yet, Feather blades are adored by their followers. Good for them. This is my face, and I'll use my favorite blades without apology...

Merkur blades work OK for me, but cost way too much. Derby blades work too, and are cheap, but no where near as good as an Astra, Perma Sharp, Gillette color blade, Iridium, or other blade made in St Pete, Russia. For me...

The point I'm making is that you should never apologize for using any blade that works. Sure, try a bad experience blade again later, but don't suffer because that blade works for other people who happen to hate blades that work for you. Choose and be proud. That's why there are so many choices out there!

Like most things, success comes with practice; to know that everyone has a different learning curve in the process. Fer example, I went back to my blade bank and fished out a Feather that I was sure was dull. Stropped it a bit after cleaning any residue off and lo got a decent shave. Yet I could feel the resistance as well and put it back with its dull frends and installed a new IP Red which is my blade of choice.

Someone was talking about the 'angle of approach' online; how to hold the razor for a clean pass in any direction without weepers or nicking, and I found that to be completely true - when combined with preparing by (for me) showering in hot water first and having a good brush soaking in the sink really does make a big difference.

And so now after many months I can begin to see the subtleties of, and the differences between my razors, and reserve better judgement about when a blade is losing it's edge (literally) and the end result is a dramatic reduction in time spent fussing replaced by the pleasure of a good shave nearly every time. :wink2:

Trust us on this, six months from now you'll have a different perception of all the blades you've tried. The goal at this early stage should be (IMO) to find a blade that you can live with and stick with it while your technique evolves and solidifies.

+1 Interesting! I found the same thing. Derby is just about all I'll use in my super speed, and I can't stand them in my adjustable.
For me the same blade is horrible in a one razor and wonderful in another.
Derby's in a super adjustable no way, but in a super speed is great.

Experimentation is they key to what works best

Actually being new at this may be the issue. Lord is a really fine blade and sharp. Have the correct angle and an ultra light touch (you can shave well with your thumb and one or two fingers), and you can shave smooth with most any blade.

Often I read here where someone will post they need a better brush, razor, soap, or blade. I was that way when I started. However, that light touch letting the razor do the work is the answer. I shave now with an open comb and a slant and no cuts, dings, weepers, or redness most every day. Its not that I am the pro from Dover; its just paying attention here and always less pressure than I think I need.

Kepp it up, your face will thank you!

I'd say, put those aside for a while and get your technique down before you make your final judgement. I'm being a bit of a hypocrite in saying this as I gave Merkur blades a few shots in my meager beginnings and haven't used them since.
One day maybe i'll give them another shot (I have 8 blades left).
Good luck and be safe.
Remember, it's all in the technique.
-Adam

I found Derby blades to be the equivalent of shaving with a bottlecap. I have used American and Israeli Personna blades with mixed results. Feather blades are by far the best. Now of course, your mileage may vary. I also like Wilkinson Sword as a good blade in case I do not have Feather blades. I also use a Feather Popular razor which is mild for some. One needs to find the right balance of razor and blade with a refined technique. No pressure on the razor. Many get frustrated because they do not see results in one pass. I need a two pass shave with one WTG and one ATG. I get a BBS shave every time. Once you find the right balance, see the money you save, you will be hooked like the rest of us!

Top Bottom