What's new

Timeless Aluminum vs Bronze .38 or .78

I currently have the Timeless Aluminum razor and am now considering getting the Bronze. I am getting very good daily shaves with a fresh Feather. Looking for something just a bit more efficient. Can anyone tell me how the SB .38 and the .78 OC compare?
Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Reactions: Kix
I currently have the Timeless Aluminum razor and am now considering getting the Bronze. I am getting very good daily shaves with a fresh Feather. Looking for something just a bit more efficient. Can anyone tell me how the SB .38 and the .78 OC compare?
Thanks and Happy Holidays.
Can’t speak about the Timeless Bronze .38 (which is reported to be a milder razor, perhaps in the ballpark of your aluminium Timeless).
The .78 OC however is a beast, it's aggressive (high blade feel, the .78 OC baseplate tends to bite out of the nothing, it can feel harsh if your shaving angle is off... it's a baseplate which will challenge you 😉). I wouldn't want to shave daily with it.

If Timeless is a fix I'd suggest one of the OC baseplates instead. The .95 OC shaves efficiently but feels smooth on the skin (for 1-2 days worth of growth...) or perhaps a .68 OC for daily shaves...

Merry Christmas!🌲

I don’t have any experience with the aluminum Timeless razors, but the bronze .38 SB is more efficient and quite a bit different shave than any of of the .68 Ti’s or SS’s (SB, SC, OC). It’s kind of in between the .68 and .95, but its heavier weight is noticeable. I love mine.

I'll go against the grain and say the the bronze OC isn't harsh whatsoever. Blade feel is less than a blackbird.
I could use the bronze OC as a daily driver...easily!
That is what I was hoping to hear. I really want to go with a brass razor so the options are limited. I could order the Yates but really prefer to buy off the shelf. I am intrigued by the Smile Bayonetta and at $59 could be a low risk option. I am getting the idea that the Timeless.38 would not be significantly different than the Aluminum so a Scratch and Dent .78 could be the way to go.

Reactions: Kix
That is what I was hoping to hear. I really want to go with a brass razor so the options are limited. I could order the Yates but really prefer to buy off the shelf. I am intrigued by the Smile Bayonetta and at $59 could be a low risk option. I am getting the idea that the Timeless.38 would not be significantly different than the Aluminum so a Scratch and Dent .78 could be the way to go.
I have a brass Yates 921-H and it is fantastic. Better for me than any of the Timeless razors and I’ve owned every model over the years. The one I did like the best however is the .38 bronze.

Going with the Timeless Bronze.78 OC
I have the Bronze .78 OC, and I believe you will be very happy with it. To begin with it is the most beautiful razor I have ever used. I have not used the Timeless aluminum, but I do own the Timeless .95 OC in SS and Ti. Both of these are very smooth and efficient, but the Bronze .78 may lack some of the smoothness but is much more efficient/aggressive.

I have a number very nice razors that I would group below my R41 and R41 GS in efficiency/aggression, but I would group the Bronze .78 well above the R41s and tied with my Stirling HA in efficiency/aggression. The Bronze .78 beats the Stirling in smoothness, but both of these razors need my full attention.

I really hope you enjoy this razor as much as I do.

I have the Bronze .78 OC, and I believe you will be very happy with it. To begin with it is the most beautiful razor I have ever used. I have not used the Timeless aluminum, but I do own the Timeless .95 OC in SS and Ti. Both of these are very smooth and efficient, but the Bronze .78 may lack some of the smoothness but is much more efficient/aggressive.

I have a number very nice razors that I would group below my R41 and R41 GS in efficiency/aggression, but I would group the Bronze .78 well above the R41s and tied with my Stirling HA in efficiency/aggression. The Bronze .78 beats the Stirling in smoothness, but both of these razors need my full attention.

I really hope you enjoy this razor as much as I do.
Thanks for the response. I ordered it this morning.

Both of these are very smooth and efficient, but the Bronze .78 may lack some of the smoothness but is much more efficient/aggressive.
+1
I have a number very nice razors that I would group below my R41 and R41 GS in efficiency/aggression, but I would group the Bronze .78 well above the R41s
+1
and tied with my Stirling HA in efficiency/aggression.
+1
The Bronze .78 beats the Stirling in smoothness, but both of these razors need my full attention.
And another +1!

I hope you'll enjoy yours @srgjazz
Pls share your thoughts with us once you have had some shaves with this beautiful tool.

Cheers!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It's too late, but I like the Timeless Slim 0.5 OC that is more aggressive than the .68 or .95 of the "not slim" normal Timeless steel/ti series.

The Bronze .78 OC is quite some more aggressive than this one, and for many the .5 Slim is already too aggressive.

I cannot agree to the statement that the Blackbird has more bladefeel than the Timeless Bronze. 78 OC. The .78 has even more than the Blackbird OC.

I hope this will end well! :thumbsup:

20231228_112139.jpeg

Beauty meets Beast.

I applied a very shallow angle today, this smoothed out the high blade feel to an acceptable level. Going steep is a no go #harsh

Although my technique wasn't off, this razor loaded with a fresh Feather blade bit me out of the nothing... a couple of times... just ask my butchered neck about weepers 😜

Ending up with more than one weeper is a rare thing for me - but it is not with this razor. I stand by my verdict. It is a challenging razor.

Last edited:
Finally had my first shave with the .78 OC on 24 hours growth. Used a fresh Feather and took it slow and easy. Plenty of blade feel but smooth. Did my normal 3 passes plus just a little upper lip buffing for a BBS result with no issues at all.
It will be interesting to see where I am tomorrow. I plan on using it every day as long as it is comfortable. It is much different than the AL-45 mainly in weight. Although heavy it is incredibly well balanced and feels great in the hand. Hats off to Timeless.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It is much different than the AL-45 mainly in weight. Although heavy it is incredibly well balanced and feels great in the hand. Hats off to Timeless.
Very interesting comparison, thank you! Did you find the geometry, except for the obvious OC vs SB difference, similar/same or different?

P.S. don't let me rush you, take your time and some shaves. I just wonder if it is the same head just in aluminum.
And as I have the Slim and the .95, instead of a fourth head geometry that would make it just the same as the aluminum, just in bronze.

Also mega kudos to getting along with it, you seem to be an aggressive razor afficionado! When you can tame the .78 OC, there is little that can frighten you anymore, not even the R41. And the often not so liked Timeless Slim 0.5 OC (I still think about half of the buyers think it is the mildest Timeless and maybe really didn't read them clearly stating it is their most aggressive geometry. Where I would like to add, I would still rather give that moniker to the .78 OC) or the milder .95 OC would be a cakewalk for you. :thumbup1:

Very interesting comparison, thank you! Did you find the geometry, except for the obvious OC vs SB difference, similar/same or different?

P.S. don't let me rush you, take your time and some shaves. I just wonder if it is the same head just in aluminum.
And as I have the Slim and the .95, instead of a fourth head geometry that would make it just the same as the aluminum, just in bronze.

Also mega kudos to getting along with it, you seem to be an aggressive razor afficionado! When you can tame the .78 OC, there is little that can frighten you anymore, not even the R41. And the often not so liked Timeless Slim 0.5 OC (I still think about half of the buyers think it is the mildest Timeless and maybe really didn't read them clearly stating it is their most aggressive geometry. Where I would like to add, I would still rather give that moniker to the .78 OC) or the milder .95 OC would be a cakewalk for you. :thumbup1:
The head geometry for the .78 looks the same as the Al-45. I did not find the razor daunting at all. I built a nice lather (Musgo Real) and used a fresh (always fresh) Feather. I took my time and let the weight of the razor do the work. As a point of comparison I tried the Lupo .95 OC and found it harsh.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The head geometry for the .78 looks the same as the Al-45. I did not find the razor daunting at all. I built a nice lather (Musgo Real) and used a fresh (always fresh) Feather. I took my time and let the weight of the razor do the work. As a point of comparison I tried the Lupo .95 OC and found it harsh.
Seems they are identical except for the gap, the bronze comes in .38 SB and .78 OC, the Al version somewhere closer to the .38 in between. I only just now realized that the aluminum version has a .45 gap.

I find the Lupo .95 OC a lot more forgiving and easygoing than the Timeless .78 OC, though. Seems you are less afraid of a lot of blade than me, that you find the Lupo harsh in comparison doesn't quite make sense for me. But don't worry, how I shave and how others shave, it rarely goes together. I just say lots of people shaving STEEP with the Blackbird, which I somehow cannot fathom... they still do it! :)

Many great shaves, after a suitable time period make sure to check back to buy another Timeless or other razor flaunted here! Though I must say, while I like the Timeless Slim .5 OC quite a bit more than the Bronze, it is probably the prettiest razor made by Timeless. I also like the spiral handle a lot, but only the Ti versions otherwise have it.

Top Bottom