What's new

Thoughts on the Tatara Muramasa Adjustable. Is it worth it?

A single edge from Tatara? Do tell, please!!

Tatara are keeping all the details to themselves but have been testing prototypes since the summer. No format has been confirmed so far. They are testing: GEM, AC and Injector but will only produce one final design for production. Projected release date is Q1 2024. Wish I had more concrete information. Hoping to put together a UK/EU pass around nearer to release. The pass around of the titanium Masamune-Nodachi is still going on and currently in Italy.

It's not about presumption, it's about giving an opinion that everyone can give... positive or negative, everyone is free to love a product or not love it based on their own preferences.
But settings 1 and 2, but I'm especially referring to 1, are truly brainless, not even Karve's plate AA has such a negative exposure of 0.07 which is equivalent to setting 2 of the muramasa, but 0.17 negative blade is crazy 😳

Then it always remains my personal opinion

“Always said... settings 1 and 2 are useless, how do you design a razor with settings like that”

Certainly; everyone is entitled to express an opinion, but in that case it might be advisable not to dress opinions up as factual statements.

People are entitled to their own opinions, but not to their own facts…because that idea would be presumptuous.

B

Last edited:
“Always said... settings 1 and 2 are useless, how do you design a razor with settings like that”

Certainly; everyone is entitled to express an opinion, but in that case it might be advisable not to dress opinions up as factual statements.

People are entitled to their own opinions, but not to their own facts…because that idea would be presumptuous.

B
it remains my opinion 🤷‍♂️
however tatara has received a lot of feedback on this

Hello,
My daily razors are Overlander and Tatara Nodachi/Masamune, I only use the full Nodachi when planets are aligned :)
I had the opportunity to test the Muramasa, and for me settings 3,4 are close too what I’m used to, 5 being roughly Nodachi.
So I find the range very small, but I like this razor, for an adjustable, it is so nimble.
To illustrate, compared to a QShave:

IMG_0858.jpeg

Also the quality is impressive.

IMG_0859.jpeg

I will never have one razor BUT the Muramasa could be it. For me its the closest I have to perfection. I like short handles and medium+ heft. The mild side is definitely mild but mild and top end covers all the blade feel and efficiency I need. I have all the usual suspects from Rex, Blackland, RazoRock, Henson etc. but the Muramasa gives me the fizzies every time it comes into rotation.

it remains my opinion 🤷‍♂️
however tatara has received a lot of feedback on this

FWIW, in between 1 and 2 are my favorite settings. I realize not everyone likes this but I'm glad it's there. I'd not have purchased it otherwise.

Also, if I recall correctly, yes, the blade exposure is more negative than other razors, but I think the gap is larger than many of its nearest comparators as well. So for example the Karve AA has a more positive exposure but a smaller gap, I think (although I might be recalling that incorrectly).

Somewhere around here I believe there is a nice graph that illustrates this all. The Muramasa is one of the most mild razors but I'm happy for that. It's a niche no other razor occupies.

Not trying to argue but I guess just trying to put it out there that there are some who appreciate a very mild but efficient razor. On the other hand I imagine as the exposure goes more positive it must become relatively aggressive quickly given the gap? I never go that far.

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The Muramasa is indeed a beautiful razor. Whether it works for an individual will of course depend on their preferences. In my own case, I purchased one some time ago. I prefer an aggressive shaver, and unfortunately the Muramasa is so mild that the bottom 4 positions of the adjustments were useless to me. Wide open it barely reached the level of the Nodachi Open Comb I already was enjoying, so the Muramasa was sold at a loss.

I like mild razors and Tatara products so wanted to buy Muramasa on Black Friday. In Europe cheapest looks Rasoigoodfellas | Online sale of the best men's care products - http://rasoigoodfellas.eu/ where you can get on BF it for 233 shipped. But finally I skip SS and will buy it in Ti like Taiga. Lighter razors just works better for me and even more when adjustable.
I'm not a fan of TI and Aluminum
I have a Taiga SS and it is quite light and balanced
You've never held a brass hone razor in your hand 😂

Today first shave with Muramasa Titanium. Very nice. What I hoped was to have close cut of full Nodachi in WTG pass, and then go little down for XTG and ATG. It worked so.
Best settings for Muramasa for me are around 4 and for ATG between 3 and 4.

Settings 1 and 2 are not very useful for me but from 3 up it is very mild and efficient. Happy to have it

I can only recommend to buy Muramasa on BB sale, possible best price for next year.

Tatara are keeping all the details to themselves but have been testing prototypes since the summer. No format has been confirmed so far. They are testing: GEM, AC and Injector but will only produce one final design for production. Projected release date is Q1 2024. Wish I had more concrete information. Hoping to put together a UK/EU pass around nearer to release. The pass around of the titanium Masamune-Nodachi is still going on and currently in Italy.
I've been keeping half an eye on this as well. AC format, maybe, Schick, not likely to buy, Gem...that I could be very interested in picking up.

I'm one of those who finds it hard to impossible to spend big bucks on a fixed 3-piece razor, and I like blade feel with substantive exposure.

I keep watching for a Sabre on the secondary market and scarcity speaks very well of it. If Tatara came out with something minimizing the corner exposure without needlessly reducing efficiency, now you're talking!

Late to this thread and just had a price comment. Last year when the British Pound was down, with the exchange rate it was less than $200. I know this because I checked Your Shaving in Spain and they had it on sale at that point.
Between the sale and the exchange rate, it was under $200! I bought a few other razors from Europe during that time and they were at rock bottom prices.
And second thing I want to say is that I'm an idiot for not buying one then!😖

Top Bottom