What's new

Thoughts on the Tatara Muramasa Adjustable. Is it worth it?

The Muramasa is an excellent razor, it tends to be mild in the low settings 1-2 being a negative blade at 3 it is a neutral blade "a sort of masamune" at 4-5 it works well for me and is smooth and efficient
Honestly, I preferred it to be more efficient starting from 2 and gradually moving up
Useless for me the settings 1-2-3 I only use it at 4 and 5
One of its great strengths is its compactness and agility, the handle is short and very easy to handle
I'll add, I'm a lover of the Ambassador and I like feeling the blade
Ā 
Hi there, the Muramasa is a medium to mild razor. It shaves very efficiently, and the adjustment mechanism is truly truly innovative. My 2 gripes about it is that it doesn't have enough blade feel at max (another 20-30% would have been perfect for me) and, to a lesser extent, the number in the window is way too small. The latter though, once I got used to the razor, I went by feel and the number no longer mattered.
Ā 
Thanks a lot to everyone for all the posts and advice. I won't respond to each message individually as it would take too long but I've read them all and greatly appreciate them. All the responses have certainly given me a lot to think about!

Just to add, while I do like the Ambassador, I don't feel like I'm restricted to razors on the more aggressive side. I'll use pretty much anything.. I have razors ranging from mild to aggressive and I make them all work. I don't think the fact that the Tatara is seen as a milder razor should be an issue at all. You know, some days I'll use an Ambassador but some days I'll use an R89 and I'll be happy with both.

Well I'm pretty sure I will buy the Muramasa. I've been looking at Tatara razors for probably a year or more.. and always been keen to get my hands on one.. so it's about time I treated myself! šŸ˜‹ Initially I thought I'd get a Masamune as it was a more affordable option but after getting a few adjustable razors finding that I like adjustables I've decided I'll likely go for the Muramasa.. so I think I'll likely purchase one in the near future. I've been thinking about it for a few weeks and I still haven't went off the idea so I'm pretty sure it''ll be my next razor purchase.

I'm not really all that familiar with premium, higher priced razors.. some of the suggestions I see mentioned in this thread are new to me! But it'd be nice to know of some of the lesser known, expensive razors. I don't know of many outside of Rex, Timeless and Tatara really. So I'm always open to hearing of other premium razors which might be an alternative too.
Ā 
Matthew Lawrence hated the razor then IAMCDB bought/borrowed it from him and loved it!

Here is my take after purchasing this razor. I have sensitive skin, which can easily get irritated (especially on my chin and neck), I shave daily so I started slow (setting #2, which I also use on my Rockwell 6S). First couple of shaves where kind of "meh ... that was average". I swapped blades (Astra, Kai, Feather and Tatara [which came with the razor]) and didn't see any meaningful change. Then I decided to up the settings and ... voila! I do three passes daily starting on setting #4 and lowering it down to #3 for touch up(s) or final, ATG, pass. Other guys will prefer #5 and never go down for their their shaves. This is going to be something you will have to fine tune on your own. In this configuration I get BBS results (with 3 passes) and have no palpable growth until next morning.

The good: great build, looks, functionality and shave, no questions asked just use very sharp blade (mild razors + very sharp blades = :a14:),
The bad: expensive, short handle (soap gets on it all the time and handle becomes slippery), #1 and #2 settings are useless
The ugly: none

Would I recommend? Overall yes, but you can get identical results with other, much cheaper razors (like Rockwell 6S/C for example). You are still getting a Mercedes of DE(s). It's not like you pay Mercedes premium but get a Chevy looks and performance. It won't be that kind of disappointment but it may also not be Chevy premium and Mercedes performance/looks type of excitement either. Razor is expensive but it delivers on its promise. You will have to decide if this is worth it to you. I'm keeping mine.
Ā 
Matthew Lawrence hated the razor then IAMCDB bought/borrowed it from him and loved it!

Here is my take after purchasing this razor. I have sensitive skin, which can easily get irritated (especially on my chin and neck), I shave daily so I started slow (setting #2, which I also use on my Rockwell 6S). First couple of shaves where kind of "meh ... that was average". I swapped blades (Astra, Kai, Feather and Tatara [which came with the razor]) and didn't see any meaningful change. Then I decided to up the settings and ... voila! I do three passes daily starting on setting #4 and lowering it down to #3 for touch up(s) or final, ATG, pass. Other guys will prefer #5 and never go down for their their shaves. This is going to be something you will have to fine tune on your own. In this configuration I get BBS results (with 3 passes) and have no palpable growth until next morning.

The good: great build, looks, functionality and shave, no questions asked just use very sharp blade (mild razors + very sharp blades = :a14:),
The bad: expensive, short handle (soap gets on it all the time and handle becomes slippery), #1 and #2 settings are useless

Would I recommend? Overall yes, but you can get identical results with other, much cheaper razors (like Rockwell 6S/C for example). You are still getting a Mercedes of DE(s). It's not like you pay Mercedes premium but get a Chevy looks and performance. It won't be that kind of disappointment but it may also not be Chevy premium and Mercedes performance/looks type of excitement either. Razor is expensive but it delivers on its promise. You will have to decide if this is worth it to you. I'm keeping mine.
Always said... settings 1 and 2 are useless, how do you design a razor with settings like that
Come On No GIF by Milwaukee Bucks
Ā 

Can I ask about Tatara Blades? no reviews online yet (only on Tatara website)
Ā 
Hello folks,

I'd never really bothered much with adjustables but I recently purchased a Rex Ambassador and I was impressed with it so it since got me thinking about the Muramasa. Even back a long time ago I was interested in a Tatara razor.. now that I like adjustables I think the Muramasa may be the way to go

Thing is, it's expensive.. it works out almost 350 euros (before 20-23% import costs from Portugal, if I get stung with them) and if you want a stand it'll be even more. You can pick it up from some UK stores too.. but either way it's at very least Ā£320-ish at regular price.

I was reading some reviews on it and I saw one from 4 years ago where the reviewer was saying it was quite expensive.. he said it cost him $169.69. So it must have jumped up in price considerably since then.

I really like the look of the Tatara razors.. I like everything about them. I'd viewed a lot of review videos and I think the Muramasa has a wonderful design. It's a razor I think I'd like to have in my collection.

Any owners here? What are your own thoughts on the Muramasa? Is it worth the high price?

I wonder if maybe coming up to Christmas they might be holding some kind of sale and maybe I'd get one at a reduction.. make it my Christmas present to myself.

Thanks,

Having had dealing with the Japanese when I was doing Freelance Photography, the Japanese are OCD about getting things right. Camera, Portable Strobe system that were build well, sturdy, just great systems, and worked as advertised.

Sure they're Razors are same quality, but you will pay for something quality from Japan. If you want such a razor I would post in the Wanted, Trade, for Sale Section of form, as sometime people have too many Razor and may have what you want.
Ā 
Having had dealing with the Japanese when I was doing Freelance Photography, the Japanese are OCD about getting things right. Camera, Portable Strobe system that were build well, sturdy, just great systems, and worked as advertised.

Sure they're Razors are same quality, but you will pay for something quality from Japan. If you want such a razor I would post in the Wanted, Trade, for Sale Section of form, as sometime people have too many Razor and may have what you want.

Thank you! šŸ™‚

An interesting fact and likely a surprise to many is that Tatara are actually Portuguese company! It was started by three Portuguese engineers back in 2016. They're based in Porto, Portugal.

One could be definitely be forgiven for thinking they are of Japanese origin but from what I gather the Japanese theme, naming, logos etc comes about from their admiration for Japan and traditional Japanese sword making.

The name Tatara being the traditional forge used for making Japanese swords.. and of course, they also take various names for swords (Masamune, Nodachi) and legendary swordmakers (Muramasa) for their razors.

Open to correction but I don't believe they have any other ties to Japan apart from that though. šŸ¤”

You can read a little write up about the origins of the company here: About Us: Discover our Story | Tatara Razors - https://tatararazors.com/about
Ā 
The unique design and flawless engineering are nice features. Some classify it as mild. For me, the best feature is its efficiency. For me is a two pass razor with gentle feel. Magical.
Ā 
They are produced in the Czech Republic, most likely by the same Tatra/Tiger Platinum factory
I heard it. Company Czech Blades. They produced Astra SP in past. Curious if Tatara blades are sharper as Astra SP. If they are something like Nacet / Perma-Sharp I would buy it but no reviews online so not sure.
Ā 

It is a phenomenal razor at a phenomenal price. That much is certain, in particular if you order the ti version that is only produced occasionally. This one positively straddles my financial pain threshold (yet I still bought one šŸ¤«).

I use mine at a setting of 4-5 or 5, the former being close to the Nodachi settings.
Would I, because of that, consider settings 1-2 ā€œuselessā€?

I think not. I do not believe that my preferences are the Be All and End All of adjustable razor settings and there may be people who either like to start with a low setting and work their way up (just like I did with my first adjustable razor), or just prefer a mild razor.

Who am I to question their choice?

In fact, the perfect adjustable razor may have to start with a setting that is a bit too mild for the average shaver and end with a setting that is a bit to aggressive for the average shaver. That way the razor can cater to the greatest number of shavers.

Calling the lower settings ā€œuselessā€ just because they do not appeal to me would IMO be kind of presumptuous.

B.
Ā 
Last edited:
Well I'm pretty sure I will buy the Muramasa. I've been looking at Tatara razors for probably a year or more.. and always been keen to get my hands on one.. so it's about time I treated myself! šŸ˜‹ Initially I thought I'd get a Masamune as it was a more affordable option but after getting a few adjustable razors finding that I like adjustables I've decided I'll likely go for the Muramasa.. so I think I'll likely purchase one in the near future.

I hope I did not influence you against the Muramasa when I pointed out that the Muramasa is roughly twice the price of the Nodachi (I never considered the Masamune head, as I did not think it would give me the closeness of shave that I look for.), but the Muramasa is by all means an outstanding razor.

Be it the Nodachi or the Muramasa; Tatara razors are well thought out and precisely machined, show attention to detail and are superbly finished.
Many other brandsā€™ razors look outright crude by comparison.

All that comes at a price, but the sting is removed when you consider how long a Tatara should last you.

B.
Ā 
Calling the lower settings ā€œuselessā€ just because they do not appeal to me would IMO be kind of presumptuous.
It's not about presumption, it's about giving an opinion that everyone can give... positive or negative, everyone is free to love a product or not love it based on their own preferences.
But settings 1 and 2, but I'm especially referring to 1, are truly brainless, not even Karve's plate AA has such a negative exposure of 0.07 which is equivalent to setting 2 of the muramasa, but 0.17 negative blade is crazy šŸ˜³

Then it always remains my personal opinion
Ā 
Muramasa setting #1 .60 gap and -0.17
Masamune .63 gap and -0.13

No real surprise that they are similar.

It's an adjustable razor, you are free to choose whichever setting you like - I've not tried the adjustable but this thread may well change that (and the Black Friday sale). Personally I prefer three piece razors over the many parts of an adjustable but at least this one breaks down for cleaning easily unlike some others.
Ā 
No real surprise that they are similar.
I agree
but at least this one breaks down for cleaning easily unlike some others.
true right observation šŸ‘
I've not tried the adjustable but this thread may well change that
I own all 3
Masamune, Nodachi and Muramasa
If you have the first 2 it's not worth buying the Muramasa, if you don't have Masamune and Nodachi then it's worth it
But I read that you have Masamune and Nodachi? or am I wrong?
Ā 
Iā€™ve used all the Masamune and Nodachi parts in both metals. Iā€™m mainly a single edge shaver though so donā€™t use my Tatara a great deal nowadays. My next Tatara should really be their single edge in the new year but thereā€™s something about the adjustable.
Ā 
Iā€™ve used all the Masamune and Nodachi parts in both metals. Iā€™m mainly a single edge shaver though so donā€™t use my Tatara a great deal nowadays. My next Tatara should really be their single edge in the new year but thereā€™s something about the adjustable.

A single edge from Tatara? Do tell, please!!
Ā 
  • Cheers
Reactions: ewk
B.

I disagree. In a matter of taste or liking/disliking something each one of us is the ultimate authority. Perhaps I wasn't clear and what I really wanted to say was that "settings #1 and #2 are useless for me". Otherwise it's an outstanding razor indeed.
Ā 
Top Bottom