What's new

Those of you who take a multi, what do you use?

Taking the advised daily dose (6) of Orange Triad and four gels of NOW Ultra Omega 3 (enteric) along with an additional 2,000 IU NOW Vitamin D. Recently added a daily dose of 400mg of NOW Magnesium Citrate and Healthy Origins stabilized 30 Billion Probiotic v-caps.

Did a lot of reading on Magnesium supps and what's best absorbed. Ended up going with the citrate based on bang for the buck. It seems to have a sedative effect when I take them, but I'm not entirely sure as I take them before bed and am usually tired by then anyway. I have not had any issues with gastro disturbances from the magnesium.

I have searched for a long time for a good shelf-stable probiotic that contains all the good little bugs in the proper ratios in a decent dose that doesn't break the bank. Healthy Origins fits the bill, I just have to trust that they're being truthful on their label.

If you're taking cheap magnesium, you'll know immediately. The toilet will ring of the sounds of your people :biggrin:

Never heard of that brand. Let me check with my guru's (both Driven Sports employees on bb.com) for a better insight.

Taking the advised daily dose (6) of Orange Triad and four gels of NOW Ultra Omega 3 (enteric) along with an additional 2,000 IU NOW Vitamin D. Recently added a daily dose of 400mg of NOW Magnesium Citrate and Healthy Origins stabilized 30 Billion Probiotic v-caps.

Did a lot of reading on Magnesium supps and what's best absorbed. Ended up going with the citrate based on bang for the buck. It seems to have a sedative effect when I take them, but I'm not entirely sure as I take them before bed and am usually tired by then anyway. I have not had any issues with gastro disturbances from the magnesium.

I have searched for a long time for a good shelf-stable probiotic that contains all the good little bugs in the proper ratios in a decent dose that doesn't break the bank. Healthy Origins fits the bill, I just have to trust that they're being truthful on their label.

The Healthy Origins you picked is pretty good. I wasn't able to get in touch with my guys but upon pulling the label, there is really no problems in it.
Take a look at Jarrow-dophilus (sp?) if you have a chance as well. Always been impressed with Jarrow. I grab their b-complex for my pop.

How do you feel about the PRO CAPS Labratories supplements. ( andrew lessman ) My mom has been taking these for years and tries to get me to take them as well.

Is there any point taking vitamin pills on an empty stomach? I'm doing alternate day fasting (on alternate days I only eat breakfast.) I'm taking 3 orange triad as instructed on normal eating days, and with breakfast on the 'fast' days, but skipping them that evening.

I originally bought them planning to take all 6 per day but decided it might be a waste. Maybe I could take 4 or 5 instead of 3 with breakfast on the fasting day?

THe meal only helps digest them faster since your food is being digested. It doesn't effect the uptake of the vitamin, so yes just take all six a day.

Why are you fasting?

THe meal only helps digest them faster since your food is being digested. It doesn't effect the uptake of the vitamin, so yes just take all six a day.
Why are you fasting?
I'm fasting for the health benefits as reported in the Horizon documentary "Eat, fast and live longer." It's on youtube, or there's a text summary here.

I know some vitamins are fat-soluble and can't be absorbed unless taken with food containing fat. Some vitamin pills conveniently have a capsule made with oil, but OT are 'dry' pills.

I'm fasting for the health benefits as reported in the Horizon documentary "Eat, fast and live longer." It's on youtube, or there's a text summary here.

I know some vitamins are fat-soluble and can't be absorbed unless taken with food containing fat. Some vitamin pills conveniently have a capsule made with oil, but OT are 'dry' pills.

There is no issue with them (OT) on an empty stomach unless they upset your stomach of course, the pills will still be absorbed.

How do you feel about the PRO CAPS Labratories supplements. ( andrew lessman ) My mom has been taking these for years and tries to get me to take them as well.

Severely overpriced. Witholding the forms of each vitamin usually implies it is a non co-enzymated form of the B's and lack of chelates in the minerals. AOR has a much better powdered multi if you want to help her out.

Is there any point taking vitamin pills on an empty stomach? I'm doing alternate day fasting (on alternate days I only eat breakfast.) I'm taking 3 orange triad as instructed on normal eating days, and with breakfast on the 'fast' days, but skipping them that evening.

I originally bought them planning to take all 6 per day but decided it might be a waste. Maybe I could take 4 or 5 instead of 3 with breakfast on the fasting day?

I won't give my thoughts on fasting but you always want to take the recommendation. I typically spread mine out 2-2-2 (b-l-d).

About a year ago I tried taking a GNC Mega Men Sport vitamin. I had had success with the regular GNC Mega Men vitamin and since I run regularly, I thought the sport version would give me additional energy/enhanced performance/whatever. Boy, was I wrong. About 15 minutes after taking one of these suckers (and I was only taking one pill, half of the suggested dosage) I felt ready to get in bed and sleep the day away. For a week I was taking one of these vitamins with breakfast and every day, I was exhausted by the time I got out of the shower (I shower after breakfast). I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I thought I was sick, but I wasn't exhibiting any symptoms other than fatigue. I went through all of the things I had started doing differently and while running through the mental list, I remembered the vitamins. The next day, I didn't take one and I was fine.

I thought that surely it must be some sort of personal reaction to this particular vitamin. That was until I came across this: http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic92386.html. It's a five page thread of people complaining about feeling tired after taking a GNC Mega Men Sport vitamin. Very weird. Might make a good sedative, I guess.

About a year ago I tried taking a GNC Mega Men Sport vitamin. I had had success with the regular GNC Mega Men vitamin and since I run regularly, I thought the sport version would give me additional energy/enhanced performance/whatever. Boy, was I wrong. About 15 minutes after taking one of these suckers (and I was only taking one pill, half of the suggested dosage) I felt ready to get in bed and sleep the day away. For a week I was taking one of these vitamins with breakfast and every day, I was exhausted by the time I got out of the shower (I shower after breakfast). I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I thought I was sick, but I wasn't exhibiting any symptoms other than fatigue. I went through all of the things I had started doing differently and while running through the mental list, I remembered the vitamins. The next day, I didn't take one and I was fine.

I thought that surely it must be some sort of personal reaction to this particular vitamin. That was until I came across this: http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic92386.html. It's a five page thread of people complaining about feeling tired after taking a GNC Mega Men Sport vitamin. Very weird. Might make a good sedative, I guess.

Wow that's crazy. I know I feel that way if I take a strong stimulant for fat burning like Clen or DnP and from what I've been told it is the amount of oxygeon that makes you yawn....or something like that.

I haven't taken a fat burner since the Gilded Age of Ripped Fuel and Hydroxycut, but those things made me wired. I was ready to do back flips down the street after popping one.

I have also taken Centrum and the standard GNC Men's vitamin without the side effect. I'm going to try taking one of the Sport vitamins on a day where I have nothing to do, just to see if I get the same reaction. I took about five of them out of a 180 capsule bottle. Something like $35 down the drain.

The funny thing about that thread that I linked to was that I discovered it by Googling something like "multi vitamins making me tired." I wasn't even specifically looking for information about that particular vitamin.

The Healthy Origins you picked is pretty good. I wasn't able to get in touch with my guys but upon pulling the label, there is really no problems in it.
Take a look at Jarrow-dophilus (sp?) if you have a chance as well. Always been impressed with Jarrow. I grab their b-complex for my pop.

Thanks, Man. I'll check out the Jarrow.

I haven't taken a fat burner since the Gilded Age of Ripped Fuel and Hydroxycut, but those things made me wired. I was ready to do back flips down the street after popping one.

I have also taken Centrum and the standard GNC Men's vitamin without the side effect. I'm going to try taking one of the Sport vitamins on a day where I have nothing to do, just to see if I get the same reaction. I took about five of them out of a 180 capsule bottle. Something like $35 down the drain.

The funny thing about that thread that I linked to was that I discovered it by Googling something like "multi vitamins making me tired." I wasn't even specifically looking for information about that particular vitamin.

Cheap forms, aka unusable, non-coenzymated vitamins will have that effect. See animal pak

So, what's the opinion on Centrum, I dare ask.

I exercise regularly, but I'm not trying to achieve some terrific goal, so I don't feel like I need something to really boost me. I'm just looking for a standard vitamin to help me get whatever I'm missing. I do eat pretty healthily (healthy?), but my diet is pretty prosaic, since I'm broke. I don't want to overdo it with anything, either.

So whaddup with Folic Acid? I read that men should not supplement with it.

Unless you're pregnant I wouldn't worry about it. More and more studies are coming out (none that I would take as evidence yeta) that it actually promotes prostate cancer. You get enough from foods if you have a good diet.

Take B vitamin shots instead to get some of the effects. B vitamins in pills are bunk.

I note that the Controlled Labs Orange Triad label specifically states that this vitamin is not for use by over age 50 persons. Is this true of the other 2 recommended multis (AOR Orthocore and Gaspari Nutrition Anavite)? If so, any recommendations for us oldsters?

Top Bottom