What's new

Those of you who take a multi, what do you use?

Subscribed to this thread, tons of great info! Much appreciated. I'll be posting up again later when I'm home to get some feedback on my brands.

Gf

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I imagine you have the nutritional biochemistry background to disprove any studies done by a company like AOR or you wouldn't have interjected.

I don't need to be a biochemist to know that this industry is highly unregulated and that nearly all claims are made by the companies themselves. You have spent a great deal of time running down everyone who has made any other suggestions. It appears as though you started this thread simply so you could belittle other people's suggestions and blow your own horn.

I asked a question which you chose to ignore. I freely admit that I don't know for sure and I doubt that anyone else really does. However, if I were in rob_NH's position I would follow a similar path in becoming an expert in my own condition. For the rest of us, human experience and common sense go a long way. If a person is in a healthy condition, eats right and exercises, then how much more is simply a waste of money?

Because there is so much mystery involved in nutritional information it is very difficult for the layman to sort it all out. Even the federal agencies seem to disagree on what is important. There are even politicians who want to ban a life essential element like salt. To top that off, every few years the so called experts make complete reversals on previous studies.

Bottom line is that the companies selling these products have a lot to gain with their claims. That, in and of itself, is suspicion enough for me.

I don't need to be a biochemist to know that this industry is highly unregulated and that nearly all claims are made by the companies themselves. You have spent a great deal of time running down everyone who has made any other suggestions. It appears as though you started this thread simply so you could belittle other people's suggestions and blow your own horn.

I asked a question which you chose to ignore. I freely admit that I don't know for sure and I doubt that anyone else really does. However, if I were in rob_NH's position I would follow a similar path in becoming an expert in my own condition. For the rest of us, human experience and common sense go a long way. If a person is in a healthy condition, eats right and exercises, then how much more is simply a waste of money?

Because there is so much mystery involved in nutritional information it is very difficult for the layman to sort it all out. Even the federal agencies seem to disagree on what is important. There are even politicians who want to ban a life essential element like salt. To top that off, every few years the so called experts make complete reversals on previous studies.

Bottom line is that the companies selling these products have a lot to gain with their claims. That, in and of itself, is suspicion enough for me.

Had you read through this thread instead of running your mouth about what you thought i did, you'd see I backed up my reasons every time for my stance. Never once did I say it was a necessity, simply an added assurance. I understand the industry, that's why I left it 18 months ago. The nonsense it promotes is mind-boggling. Notice I didn't pick the most popular products, I picked the best formulated. You didn't ask me a question, you made a blanket statement without any time in the field to base your "point".

I responded to at least 30 pm's about what to take for specific conditions all otc benefits opposed to big pharma meds. Seems as if challenging me, while laughable, is you trying to play wildcard to a thread that was helpful to many.

As I said, if you have the backround in nutrition, dietetics or the like to disprove anything I said (i'd love to hear your rationale on how b-vitamins differ proving any of my statements incorrect) have at it.

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Had you read through this thread instead of running your mouth about what you thought i did, you'd see I backed up my reasons every time for my stance. Never once did I say it was a necessity, simply an added assurance. I understand the industry, that's why I left it 18 months ago. The nonsense it promotes is mind-boggling. Notice I didn't pick the most popular products, I picked the best formulated. You didn't ask me a question, you made a blanket statement without any time in the field to base your "point".

I responded to at least 30 pm's about what to take for specific conditions all otc benefits opposed to big pharma meds. Seems as if challenging me, while laughable, is you trying to play wildcard to a thread that was helpful to many.

As I said, if you have the backround in nutrition, dietetics or the like to disprove anything I said (i'd love to hear your rationale on how b-vitamins differ proving any of my statements incorrect) have at it. Otherwise, kick rocks.

My initial point was that there is a lot of misinformation out there and that it would make a killing for someone like P.T. Barnum. Then after you replied with a bit of sarcasm aimed personally at me, I simply gave my opinion on some of your replies, which appeared to me to be somewhat condescending. You clearly take this much more seriously than I do and I am not going to get into a long exchange about it.

I'm certain there are a lot more things on this forum that we can agree on and we don't need to go any further on this one topic. I will stand down with my remarks and yield the floor to those that have a more vested interest in this topic.

My initial point was that there is a lot of misinformation out there and that it would make a killing for someone like P.T. Barnum. Then after you replied with a bit of sarcasm aimed personally at me, I simply gave my opinion on some of your replies, which appeared to me to be somewhat condescending. You clearly take this much more seriously than I do and I am not going to get into a long exchange about it.

I'm certain there are a lot more things on this forum that we can agree on and we don't need to go any further on this one topic. I will stand down with my remarks and yield the floor to those that have a more vested interest in this topic.

I apologize for coming off that way. It is an industry I put blood sweat and tears into literally and was rewarded with a lawsuit trying to save people from buying certain products.

My honest desire from the start of this (you can ask AZMARK) was to help and inform and get people away from the money they were spending on things of poor quality. We do agree on one thing that marketing is unregulated and anyone can say anything...hence my trying to help.

-J

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I apologize for coming off that way. It is an industry I put blood sweat and tears into literally and was rewarded with a lawsuit trying to save people from buying certain products.

My honest desire from the start of this (you can ask AZMARK) was to help and inform and get people away from the money they were spending on things of poor quality. We do agree on one thing that marketing is unregulated and anyone can say anything...hence my trying to help.

-J

I'm still looking forward to your side by side review of SMN and S. Maria in another thread.

Illadelphia, what are your thoughts on Metagenics EPA DHA 720? My naturopath initially recommended them for me and I've used them on and off for a few years. They seem fine, but I've never taken any others. They are pricey...

Again, many thanks for your input and assistance.

Gf

I've worked in the supplement industry up until last year for a little over 4 years, was responsible for formula modifications and alpha-testing as well.

Alot of people may argue against it's necessity, but as nutritional insurance, it's something I always use.

My top 3 picks:

1) AOR Orthocore
2) Controlled Labs Orange Triad
3) Gaspari Nutrition Anavite

Where would one find these products locally? I assume they are not lying around most of the GNC's in the neighborhood.

Illadelphia, what are your thoughts on Metagenics EPA DHA 720? My naturopath initially recommended them for me and I've used them on and off for a few years. They seem fine, but I've never taken any others. They are pricey...

Again, many thanks for your input and assistance.

Gf

Look into NOW's version of omegas. Much cheaper, more known brand. A lot of times in this business you'll see a small company have outrageous prices to try and appeal to the "high end market", in that people see it's more expensive, they think it's better, see Cellucor.

Where would one find these products locally? I assume they are not lying around most of the GNC's in the neighborhood.

I know GNC used to carry Anavite and a few carried OT. Everything is much cheaper online.

Update from previous post: I found that the product description on vitacost.com for Orange Triad is incorrect. Many wrong ingredients when compared to the actual label (compare the B12 sources for yourself). While this could be a simple data entry error, I would like to assume that it's not something intentional to encourage customers to buy their own brands instead.

Since I don't know the reason for the error, I bought a bottle of Orange Triad and their associated OxyOmegas from another website. I'm about a week into it, and I like that I can better tailor how much I supplement.

I just ran out of magnesium, so I'm looking for a replacement now.

I may stir the pot here with this post. Has anyone read the article in Consumer Reports about vitamins? While nothing in that article was new to me, there is a lot of cautionary information there about vitamin usage.

Thanks, Illedelphia. How do you feel about probiotics? Do you use them and is there a certain brand or brands that you recommend?

Thanks, Illedelphia. How do you feel about probiotics? Do you use them and is there a certain brand or brands that you recommend?

I had a convo with Squatzilla on it earlier last week. I honestly feel that the majority of them are absurdly overpriced, the storage methods are insane (between this and this temp...brb turning freezer to ice cold to accomodate for a bottle of such). A good digestive aid (NOW or JARROW) via enzymes to me is much better.

I can shoot you off a few specific ones if you are interested.

Thanks - I opted to go with Orange Triad over Source Naturals. Regarding the digestive aids, yes, I would be interested in receiving a couple of recommendations. Thanks again.

Thanks - I opted to go with Orange Triad over Source Naturals. Regarding the digestive aids, yes, I would be interested in receiving a couple of recommendations. Thanks again.

Recommendations from personal use:

(1)http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gardenoflife/primaldefenseultra.html (pricey but untouched by anything else on the market)(only probiotic I trust)
(2) http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Super-Enzymes-180-Capsules/857?at=0 (NOW is always best bang for the buck)
(3) http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Jarro-Zymes-Plus-470-mg-100-Capsules/257

Taking the advised daily dose (6) of Orange Triad and four gels of NOW Ultra Omega 3 (enteric) along with an additional 2,000 IU NOW Vitamin D. Recently added a daily dose of 400mg of NOW Magnesium Citrate and Healthy Origins stabilized 30 Billion Probiotic v-caps.

Did a lot of reading on Magnesium supps and what's best absorbed. Ended up going with the citrate based on bang for the buck. It seems to have a sedative effect when I take them, but I'm not entirely sure as I take them before bed and am usually tired by then anyway. I have not had any issues with gastro disturbances from the magnesium.

I have searched for a long time for a good shelf-stable probiotic that contains all the good little bugs in the proper ratios in a decent dose that doesn't break the bank. Healthy Origins fits the bill, I just have to trust that they're being truthful on their label.

Top Bottom