What's new

This weeks playoff picks?

I pretty much agree, SliceOfLife. I do not know that the Niners came out looking good in any way. Kind of sad for them.

I find myself thinking this could be a good Super Bowl, but then I think to myself "How many times have I thought exactly that over the years and the SB has turned out to be an awful game?" The race is not always to the swift or the fight to the strong, but it is the way to bet darn it. If Philly two weeks from now is the same Philly team that has been showing up in these playoff games, the odds are surely in Philly's favor!

Well, it kind of dropped, beginish. I feel your pain. I like both teams, but I bet the wrong way.

Mahomes played hurt amazingly.

Good game. Turned on a handful of plays.

Well, it kind of dropped, beginish. I feel your pain. I like both teams, but I bet the wrong way.

Mahomes played hurt amazingly.

Good game. Turned on a handful of plays.

I know! I can’t fault the game, though. 2 heavyweights going toe to toe. Here’s what I don’t understand, though (and this applies to the 2017 season Super Bowl against the Pats, too). If defense wins championships, how can 2 teams with legit elite defenses, just disappear in the biggest game of the year? In the Eagles 2 most recent SB’s, total points allowed of 74 and 73. The over under was 50. Why would I not just consistently bet the over?

If defense wins championships, how can 2 teams with legit elite defenses, just disappear in the biggest game of the year?
Excellent question. I should constantly remind myself that what I do not know about football would fill volumes.

KC's D did get that touchdown on the Hurts fumble, I suppose.

But for Philly the D had no no sacks, no interceptions, no forced fumbles. A defense that had led the league in sacks. I thought Mahomes was incredible, especially in the second half, where KC scored on every possession--hard to win a game when the D does not create any three and outs!--but I thought Mahomes showed signs of soreness again and again. I understand that his game was short quick passes that tends to counter the pass rush and, I guess, reduce interceptions. But doesn't every team try to do that in the regular season against a pass rush like Philly? Philly allowed too many third downs, altogether, some via penalties, as I recall.

One big play from the the Philly defense could have changed the game. Special teams gave up that long punt return.

As for the KC D, Jalen Hurts, as I recall, was a part of every yard gained by Philly. It was not like KC did not know from where things were going to come. Although, I suppose one could say that if KC made it so Hurts was the only threat, that is pretty good D. It seems remarkable how good Philly is with the quarterback sneak. KC did not stop it.

There is a lot out there on the internet today talking about this. Before the SB there was a lot of out there on this SB being expected to be a battle of the defenses.

A close game. Better play by either defense could have made a huge difference.

Top Bottom