What's new

This weeks playoff picks?

Eagles beat Giants but don't cover
Bills beat Bengals but don't cover... Allen takes a bad hit late and leaves game, he's back for next week but there's a week of will he wont he drama.
49s cover vs Dallas
Chiefs cover vs Jags

What are your picks?

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I used to be an Eagles' fan but after Brady joined the Bucs, I've finally been able to root for a Florida NFL team. I hope the Jags aren't embarrassed but I'd pick the Chiefs over them too. I think the Eagles will or at least, should, beat the Giants. I dislike Dallas.. let over from all those years rooting for the Eagles.

I like both the Bills and Bengals... I hope both play well.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The only game I see as something of a toss-up is Dallas v. SF. That's not because of the tight spread but because both teams have shown recent inconsistency. It's the sort of game that could be a blowout either way or come down to the final play.

That said, '49ers take it if they show up in playoff form.

Eagles beat Giants but don't cover
Bills beat Bengals but don't cover... Allen takes a bad hit late and leaves game, he's back for next week but there's a week of will he wont he drama.
49s cover vs Dallas
Chiefs cover vs Jags

What are your picks?

Bengals Lines absolutely dominating Bills lines was a surprise. Buffalo looked like they'd never played in the snow before... which was weird.

49'ers game looked exactly like I expected.

Jags put up more of a fight than I expected, but Chiefs have been unreliable all year and I consistently give them too much credit.

Eagles showed up. If they play like that for the next two games, they are our superbowl champs. The quality of play we saw this week makes them unbeatable. No other team in the league can beat them if they play like that. 49'ers and Chiefs/Bengals only chance is the Eagles having a bad game or a significant injury/injuries. Eagles are heads and tails above all the remaining teams if healthy and playing to their skill level. Frankly next week should be the Superbowl. Eagles >> 49'ers >> Bengals = Chiefs.

Frankly Dallas was better than Bengals/Chiefs... and they got embarrassed by the Niners defense (to be fair they lost their best offensive weapon this year early in the game). Mahomes playing out of his mind could get them a win over the Niners, but it'd be a wild game and SF wins that matchup 4/5 times.

This weeks insights: Jags/Giants are at best similar caliber teams... Frankly Giants are probably a hair better. Eagles Slapped the Giants around. Chiefs SQUEEKED by Jags... and got their QB... who is 90% of their team's scariness... hurt in the process. Weather/etc made bills/bengals game hard to deduce much from... but Vegas clearly thinks that even with a potentially hurt Mahomes Chiefs are the better team. This is either massive disrespect for the Bengals... or the AFC is just bad this year.

Last edited:
Good post SliceofLife. The Eagles definitely showed up and are the class of the remaining teams. To me, the Niners played with a lot of heart, and even at the professional level that can win football games. But as they say, the fight isn't always to the strong or the race to the swift, but it the way to bet.

The effect of Mahomes hurt is just unknowable. The Bengals looked good to me. But the Bills did not seem to show up.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Bengals Lines absolutely dominating Bills lines was a surprise. Buffalo looked like they'd never played in the snow before... which was weird.

49'ers game looked exactly like I expected.

Jags put up more of a fight than I expected, but Chiefs have been unreliable all year and I consistently give them too much credit.

Eagles showed up. If they play like that for the next two games, they are our superbowl champs. The quality of play we saw this week makes them unbeatable. No other team in the league can beat them if they play like that. 49'ers and Chiefs/Bengals only chance is the Eagles having a bad game or a significant injury/injuries. Eagles are heads and tails above all the remaining teams if healthy and playing to their skill level. Frankly next week should be the Superbowl. Eagles >> 49'ers >> Bengals = Chiefs.

Frankly Dallas was better than Bengals/Chiefs... and they got embarrassed by the Niners defense (to be fair they lost their best offensive weapon this year early in the game). Mahomes playing out of his mind could get them a win over the Niners, but it'd be a wild game and SF wins that matchup 4/5 times.

This weeks insights: Jags/Giants are at best similar caliber teams... Frankly Giants are probably a hair better. Eagles Slapped the Giants around. Chiefs SQUEEKED by Jags... and got their QB... who is 90% of their team's scariness... hurt in the process. Weather/etc made bills/bengals game hard to deduce much from... but Vegas clearly thinks that even with a potentially hurt Mahomes Chiefs are the better team. This is either massive disrespect for the Bengals... or the AFC is just bad this year.
Josh Allen is the most over-hyped QB in the league. Dak is right there, too n

Josh Allen is the most over-hyped QB in the league. Dak is right there, too n
Noone but Dallas fans think Dak is good (well maybe good, but not great) anymore. There's an Article that came out this week that says he's basically Cousins (Pads stats vs bad teams and in garbage time so he looks top 10, but can't beat good defenses and is a mid-tier QB).

Disagree about Allen. I see him more as a smarter Carson Wentz... Hugely talented, but doesn't put in the work of a Brady, Hurts, Mahomes. But he doesn't seem to have the suicidal need to be superman that Wentz has, so he's riding the peak a lot better/longer than Wentz was able to. As long as the Bills keep a good team around him, he'll be a perpetual playoff QB; with maybe 1-2 rings by the end of his career by virtue of his team getting hot at the right time or injuries/bad teams getting lucky and knocking out his real competition to give him easier paths.

Frankly I'd still take him over Everyone in the league but Mahomes this/next season... (Tie between him and Hurts for #2 spot I suppose) But I expect that'll change in the next year or two as we see if Hurts can sustain/continue to improve... and how Burrow/Herbert/Lawrence mature/age.

Honestly, If the Lions take a step forward... I think Goff may actually turn out to be a really good QB too... seems he's a much better fit there than in LA.

Purdy could prove interesting. I mean he has to have a starting job next year, right? Even if not in SF? Be interesting to see if he keeps winning with a different coach/team around him.

Fields could follow a similar trajectory as Hurts if they get any kind of talent around him, and he has a similar work ethic (unknown)... I'm interested in watching that.

Geno, I think had a fluke really good year... but he may prove me wrong next year.

Even if Brady gets back on track next year... his age means he's not in this discussion for me anymore... Rodgers ditto.

Murray is the guy I think is/was overrated.

I think we've seen Lamar's best years already.

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Noone but Dallas fans think Dak is good (well maybe good, but not great) anymore. There's an Article that came out this week that says he's basically Cousins (Pads stats vs bad teams and in garbage time so he looks top 10, but can't beat good defenses and is a mid-tier QB).

Disagree about Allen. I see him more as a smarter Carson Wentz... Hugely talented, but doesn't put in the work of a Brady, Hurts, Mahomes. But he doesn't seem to have the suicidal need to be superman that Wentz has, so he's riding the peak a lot better/longer than Wentz was able to. As long as the Bills keep a good team around him, he'll be a perpetual playoff QB; with maybe 1-2 rings by the end of his career by virtue of his team getting hot at the right time or injuries/bad teams getting lucky and knocking out his real competition to give him easier paths.

Frankly I'd still take him over Everyone in the league but Mahomes this/next season... (Tie between him and Hurts for #2 spot I suppose) But I expect that'll change in the next year or two as we see if Hurts can sustain/continue to improve... and how Burrow/Herbert/Lawrence mature/age.
Lawrence has really shown me something this year. Kid never, ever looks rattled and never gives up.

To be fair, that's exactly what was expected even last year... but Jax was such a terrible terrible situation. I was REALLY happy for the kid when DouggyP went over there... probably saved his career from being killed by a bad situation. Should be a lot of fun to watch.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Noone but Jerry Jones thinks Dak is good (well maybe good, but not great) anymore.

FTFY

That said, he got a raw deal from the post-game press coverage. The Cowboys played a decent game against a better team and the best defense in the league. All anyone talked about on Monday was that Dak threw two interceptions (well, and that bizarre last play).

Wow! Did Cincinnatti impress! Joe Burrow is so cool, he could waterski across hot lava.

I have a feeling that Philly will take apart San Francisco and then whichever AFC team survives Sunday. Honestly, I don't know who has the advantage between Cincinnatti and KC, though. Seeing as how the line is only 1.5 at the moment, I'm not the only one.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Honestly, If the Lions take a step forward... I think Goff may actually turn out to be a really good QB too... seems he's a much better fit there than in LA.

Purdy could prove interesting. I mean he has to have a starting job next year, right? Even if not in SF? Be interesting to see if he keeps winning with a different coach/team around him.

Fields could follow a similar trajectory as Hurts if they get any kind of talent around him, and he has a similar work ethic (unknown)... I'm interested in watching that.

Geno, I think had a fluke really good year... but he may prove me wrong next year.

Even if Brady gets back on track next year... his age means he's not in this discussion for me anymore... Rodgers ditto.

Murray is the guy I think is/was overrated.

I think we've seen Lamar's best years already.
Now that you mention Rodger’s, I may have to change my position a bit. He’s been over-hyped for years. Big Ben has better numbers than he does.

Good discussion. Quarterback is one heck of an important position in pro football, and the difference between a pretty good, but not great QB, and a certifiably great QB, as pointed out above, can really take center stage in the playoffs. I think the AFC depends on how well Mahomes can play on that ankle. Bengals sure did look good against the Bills. I think they are a real football team and deserve to be where they are.

I was surprised by much of last weekend. And based on that Philly is peaking at the perfect time and is simply on fire. But "past performance is no guarantee of future results." Maybe Philly really did peak last week. I am surprised that Philly is not favored or more favored in the betting lines.

But what do I know. I did not foresee these four teams making it to these games.

FTFY

That said, he got a raw deal from the post-game press coverage. The Cowboys played a decent game against a better team and the best defense in the league. All anyone talked about on Monday was that Dak threw two interceptions (well, and that bizarre last play).

Wow! Did Cincinnatti impress! Joe Burrow is so cool, he could waterski across hot lava.

I have a feeling that Philly will take apart San Francisco and then whichever AFC team survives Sunday. Honestly, I don't know who has the advantage between Cincinnatti and KC, though. Seeing as how the line is only 1.5 at the moment, I'm not the only one.
Superb Owl Line seems to be moving towards Cincy and Philly. Seems Mahomes and McCaffery are hurt more than the teams are admitting.

Was KC +250, Bengals +260 Eagles +280 and Niners +300 yesterday if memory serves...

Heard on the radio that now it's Eagles +250 Bengals +260 KC + 290 and Niners +330

Sounds like Vegas is suggesting Eagles and Cincy Moneyline bets this week.

I live in Philadelphia and have learned the hard way over the decades not to get too attached to any team. The MLS final this year is the latest case in point. I hope the Iggles make it to the SB and will watch, but am not getting my hopes up.

Mahomes tried to give it to cincy but they gave it back.. eagles absolutely crushed the niners because they had to play most of the game without a quarterback. And both of the losers fans are crying about refs so much that you can't even hear Philly being burned down.

Will mahomes be healthy enough to be superman and score 30+ against the best defense in the league? I kinda doubt it. I see eagles 36 kc 10 (or 17 off a garbage time td).

I think Mahomes health is key, too. Two weeks off may help. As I think I said previously, Philly is peaking at just the right time. An awesome football team, especially the offensive line. Not to dis their defense. The refs could have been better, but the Niners committed far too many obvious penalties. In that respect, they did not seem to be a "professional" football team. I agree that the playoffs are no place to be without a quarterback.

Mahomes' performance on Sunday reminded me of something that someone who knows a lot more about football told me a long time ago, which is that football at all levels, even the pros, is very much a game of will, more so than other sports. I think that is true and helps make football a wonderful spectator sport. Mad props to Mahomes.

I think Mahomes health is key, too. Two weeks off may help. As I think I said previously, Philly is peaking at just the right time. An awesome football team, especially the offensive line. Not to dis their defense. The refs could have been better, but the Niners committed far too many obvious penalties. In that respect, they did not seem to be a "professional" football team. I agree that the playoffs are no place to be without a quarterback.
They got mad that their QB got injured... so even though it was a clean hit... they started playing dirty to try and keep up... and refs said "no". Then at the end they tried to start an outright brawl. Really just a disappointing performance. You feel bad for them, but take your millions of dollars and try again next year. Don't act like children.

Frankly, Mahomes could be healthy and Eagles should still be the favorite. They're the better team in every category except QB and possibly/probably coaching. Mahomes will have to backpack the Chiefs to win... He does that frequently enough... but it's definitely not a sure thing (even if he is healthy).

Top Bottom