What's new

Thinking of opening a high-end Barber shop any suggestions?

Wow guys thanks for all the input, and I will try to answer a few questions here. No I am not a licensed barber yet but would like to be. I would start the shop with an experienced barber in house though. I have some experience with running a business, but have much to learn still I'm sure. I would, based on the general consensus here, leave the tv's out, and hire on a masseuse and esthetician. I do belive there would be a market for it here, our town hosts a sizeable population of oil company execs, pharm reps and others of similar income. Thanks again for all of your input and I welcome more!! Martin I will be getting in touch with you very soon and we will get together and throw some ideas around. Also very excited to find out I have a fellow B&Ber in my town!

Well I live in a city of about 400,000 that is located an hour north of LA and have been thinking a lot lately about opening a high-end barber shop. I am thinking a nice somewhat small place with one or two booths max, a shoeshine chair, and a small retail section with a little of everything from razors and brushes, to soaps, creams, aftershaves, and colognes. I would offer haircuts, straight shaves, and shoeshines in a nice plush leather barbers chair surrounded by mahogany cabinets and marble sinks and counter tops, and a nice flat screen with espn on. I was just wondering if there are any professional barbers here that could offer any insight or anyone for that matter. Is this something that you guys would visit on a regular basis? And if so what would you be willing to spend for these services in an atmosphere like this?

I am not a proffesional barber, but I believe your idea is excellent, and it will fly. Just look at how many dedicated straight razor shavers are on this sight alone! I live in a town of only 1500 people, so I probably will never see an old school barber shop, but if I could find one in my area, I would be a dedicated customer. P.S. It doesn't matter what you charge, people will come for the service.

Just... make sure that whomever you hire is welcoming and literate/personable, and take a tip from high-end beauty salons and offer a GOOD first-time discount for all customers.

Once people experience a good haircut/shave, they will MAKE room in their budget to come back. I know I have.

Bottom line: Don't be snobbish or greedy, but don't cut corners either.

If you're going to do straight shaves, use a real straight. There are some obstacles to overcome, but I think it can be done. The razors will need to be sterilized after each use. Heat sterilization is not good for the temper of the steel, so check if there are any approved "cold" sterilization methods.

If you use a real straight, you can promote the shop as a tourist destination, with flyers in hotels, tourist spots, golf courses, etc. even at some distance away.

I would also sell gift certificates. A real straight shave would make a nice gift that would appeal to wives and girlfriends.

I would also sell straights and honing services.

For regulars, you could get around the disinfection part by selling each customer a personal razor for their exclusive use.

I would also sell annual subscriptions with a guaranteed appointment (personal razor included), such as every day at 7:00 AM. That would really appeal to wealthy businessmen looking to be pampered and also make a great gift. At the end of the year, they could take their razor home or renew.

+100000 I'd be there every day.

Just... make sure that whomever you hire is welcoming and literate/personable, and take a tip from high-end beauty salons and offer a GOOD first-time discount for all customers.

Once people experience a good haircut/shave, they will MAKE room in their budget to come back. I know I have.

Bottom line: Don't be snobbish or greedy, but don't cut corners either.

Yep $75.00 for cut,shave,and a shine. for first time customers only valid the first month your open. word of mouth is the best means of advertisement. the teaser rate will bring in the masses, then the masses will bring even more people if they like it.

Top Bottom