What's new

Thinking About Buying A Simpson

I do have one last question for you guys. When I get the Duke 3 do I need to give it a shampoo treatment and then wait a day before using it or can I just dive in and go?

Just use it or lather it up & rinse, then re-lather and use it. I've probably had 25 brushes, with 8 being Simpsons. I've never shampooed a brush. Once a year or otherwise needed, I'll clean them with Dawn and a quick diluted vinegar rinse.

IMHO every wet shaver should try a Simpsons brush! I currently am down to 6!

I do not care for the pure grade which has too much scratch for my tastes (as one who face lathers soaps). Of my current Simpsons 5 are best and one is super. There is a fair bit of variation in their best, some are closer to pure and others overlap the super grade IME.

I suggest you pick a handle and knot that are appealing. Several of my current brushes may fit your needs, especially my Duke 2 or Chubby 1. I would also consider either the Classic or Fifty series! Just my $0.02!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The Duke is a "must have" for the Simpson lover who face lathers. Both size 2 and 3 work great!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm very glad to hear that you went with the Duke 3 in best. When I read the original post, that is the brush that immediately popped into my head.

I'm very glad to hear that you went with the Duke 3 in best. When I read the original post, that is the brush that immediately popped into my head.

I feel like for right now this is the best choice for me. It was a hard decision to make but I think that for my first Simpson brush this should be a great experience. I've read a little bit more and have seen some videos now on the Chubby 2 in best and I could not believe how dense and big that sucker really is. I don't know if I'll ever buy the Chubby 2 but I think that the Duke 3 will be a good indicator for me if I ever want to pull the trigger on it. Thanks, again everyone for all of your recommendations, I really appreciate it!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco I recall that in another post you said your chubby 1 In super was your favorite.

Yes, that is correct Sir.

If I should rank my Simpsons I'd say:.

1. Chubby 1 Super
2. Duke 2 Best
3. Duke 3 Best

Honorable mention for the Classic 2, Colonel X2L and Wee Scot - all in Best.

My absolute skritchest Simpson is a Wee Scot in Best. Love it but gotta admit it be prickly. Like a Wee Hedgehog.

I have to agree, my Wee Scot has to be from the skritchiest batch of best hair there is....It works great, and grates my face.

I feel like for right now this is the best choice for me. It was a hard decision to make but I think that for my first Simpson brush this should be a great experience. I've read a little bit more and have seen some videos now on the Chubby 2 in best and I could not believe how dense and big that sucker really is. I don't know if I'll ever buy the Chubby 2 but I think that the Duke 3 will be a good indicator for me if I ever want to pull the trigger on it. Thanks, again everyone for all of your recommendations, I really appreciate it!

I agree with the others, the Duke 3 best is a wonderful brush and should be a great introduction to the Simpson brand. I also own a Tulip 2 Super which is very similar in size and backbone to the Duke 3 best knot, but just in super (with a nicer handle imho). If you like the size and and performance of the Duke 3 knot, but want something a little softer in feel, perhaps you should try the Tulip 2 super.

Yes, that is correct Sir.

If I should rank my Simpsons I'd say:.

1. Chubby 1 Super
2. Duke 2 Best
3. Duke 3 Best

Honorable mention for the Classic 2, Colonel X2L and Wee Scot - all in Best.

Out of curiosity and in your opinion, what makes the Chubby 1 Super and Duke 2 Best better than the Duke 3 best?

I have to agree, my Wee Scot has to be from the skritchiest batch of best hair there is....It works great, and grates my face.

I agree with the others, the Duke 3 best is a wonderful brush and should be a great introduction to the Simpson brand. I also own a Tulip 2 Super which is very similar in size and backbone to the Duke 3 best knot, but just in super (with a nicer handle imho). If you like the size and and performance of the Duke 3 knot, but want something a little softer in feel, perhaps you should try the Tulip 2 super.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely have to check out the Tulip 2 super next time I am looking for a brush

Out of curiosity and in your opinion, what makes the Chubby 1 Super and Duke 2 Best better than the Duke 3 best?

Of my 8 Simpsons, I still have a Duke 1 (some scritch, but a better small brush than the too-small Wee Scot) and a Rover. I sold my Duke 2 because its knot was too similar to the Rover. A Duke 3 was always high on my want list until Thaters invaded my den. Enjoy the D3. After 25 brushes I've learned two things: there is no one brush to rule them all and brushes are a very deep rabbit hole to fall into.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

The one thing I absolutely love about the CH1 and D2 is their very short handle. While others may describe it as uncomfortable or difficult to use, I find it extremely versatile and easy to manouvre, especially when face lathering soaps. The CH1 Super is of course denser and silky soft on the skin, while the D2 is less densely packed and a bit scrubbier. The D3 is something "in between" both in terms of density (slightly less than CH1 and slightly more than D2) and face feel is still great.

If you like the current size of your brush, get a Duke 3 in Best. If you want to end the search for a face lathering brush, get the Chubby 2 in Best. This bruah is iconic for a reason.

Marty

What Marty said! I have the Duke 3 in best and it is good for face lathering. I resisted getting a Chubby 2 for a long time but eventually bought the Chubby 2 in Best. I was blown away using this brush for face lathering.

My skritchiest Simpson brush is my Special in best. The Wee Scot is surprisingly soft. The softest Simpson I have is a Duke 3 in best. The tips are like a Plissoft type Synthetic it's so soft.

Top Bottom