What's new

Thinking About Buying A Simpson

Lately I have been wanting to get a new brush and I think that I want to get a Simpson. I exclusively face lather and I only use MWF or MdC. Right now I am using the one and only brush I have ever owned and it is a Royal Shave best badger with a 22mm knot. I don't mind spending up to $100-$120 on a Simpson. What would you guys recommend? Also, is there a huge difference between pure & best badger?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Pure Badger is fine. Best Badger is fine. Super badger is fine. The modern Simpson brushes with name other than Pure or Best or Super are very likely nice as well.

The "scritchiest" Simpson I own is a Wee Scot which is Best Badger hair.

I've never found a Simpson handle style that was not comfortable and functional.

I would recommend the Commodore in the either the x2 or x3 depending on the size of your hands. I use the x2 and MWF exclusively and the two were made for each other. I also face lather.

Last edited:
So many Simpsons will qualify!
Enjoy exploring these!

simpson brushes.jpg

If you like the current size of your brush, get a Duke 3 in Best. If you want to end the search for a face lathering brush, get the Chubby 2 in Best. This bruah is iconic for a reason.

Marty

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I really appreciate the feedback. After reading some of your comments, I feel that a pure badger is out because my skin is a little sensitive and if they are scritchy, I can't see that being a good thing for me.

Colonel X2L if you want one for under a hundred bucks. Over that, for a face latherer, I suggest Chubby 1 in Super or if you go with Best, either a 57 or a Duke 3.

If I may be so bold to offer some guidance on your budget... Either commit to under $80, or stretch into the ~$130 range. That $100-$115 range is right in that awkward price point between the smaller Best knots like the Colonel/Classic and the small Supers or big Best knots. With respect..

Last edited:
Colonel X2L if you want one for under a hundred bucks. Over that, for a face latherer, I suggest Chubby 1 in Super or if you go with Best, either a 57 or a Duke 3.

If I may be so bold to offer some guidance on your budget... Either commit to under $80, or stretch into the ~$130 range. That $100-$115 range is right in that awkward price point between the smaller Best knots like the Colonel/Classic and the small Supers or big Best knots. With respect..

I appreciate your input. I've never really looked into brushes much but the Simpsons seem to be a great way to go based on what little I have read. After looking at several different Simpsons, I really like the look of the Duke or Chubby models. I'm a little hesitant on the Duke 3 or the Chubby 2 because of the knot sizes. I have a 22mm right now but is a 23mm like the Duke 3 a huge difference?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I appreciate your input. I've never really looked into brushes much but the Simpsons seem to be a great way to go based on what little I have read. After looking at several different Simpsons, I really like the look of the Duke or Chubby models. I'm a little hesitant on the Duke 3 or the Chubby 2 because of the knot sizes. I have a 22mm right now but is a 23mm like the Duke 3 a huge difference?
Remember that things like knot diameter are approximate. The hair is assembled by weight, bundled and then hand tied so it's unlikely that any two will be the same size.

Lots of good recommendations for you to consider. You simply can’t go wrong with any Simpson. If you are really going to face lather exclusively with MWF or MdC then I’d recommend the Duke 3 or Chubby 2 as well!

I've had a Duke 3 in Best for years. Simply an amazing brush. The knot isn't huge to me. The Chubby 2 is densely packed.

The Duke 3 works well on a budget. If price is no option go for the Chubby 2 or 3 in special edition offerings. Last time I checked the Simpson website they had multiple special edition brushes of both.

...I have a 22mm right now but is a 23mm like the Duke 3 a huge difference?

In the same brand with the same hair, same shape and similar loft probably not, but it's likely your brush to the Duke is apples to oranges.

Face latherer's are all over the place for knot size. I had been whipping up lather for most of my life with drug store boar brushes and knew nothing better. When embarking on this sport quickly found out after one brush 24mm is way too big for my liking. But Chubby's are one of Simpson's iconic mainstays. So I'm out to lunch on this front.

I'd leap right over 3-Band and take $40 and buy a 2-Band, Stirling Finest for instance in 24mm or 26mm. Put the $80 left over in the sock drawer and add to it for while. I haven't tried either of these, but after reading about them here and elsewhere there seemed a lot of love for the 24mm when it first came out.

I do have a Chubby 0.5, ie. Classic 2 in Best. Dense, firm fun brush, and not to big. Check Superior Shave for a fun read on Simpson Brushes.

But I like small knots, and pure hair. Grain of salt and all that.

Last edited:
No, I don't think a Duke 3 advertised at 23mm will be a big departure from a 22mm brush. The Chubby 2 however, at 27mm would be a huge change.

And despite what I said earlier about the price range, West Coast Shaving does appear to have a Duke 3 Best in butterscotch that falls right in the budget you mentioned. If I weren't on a purchase sabbatical, it might be something I'd get for myself.

I have two Simpsons. Neither shed. But we hear from time to time of one that does. Buy your brush from a reputable vendor...so if you encounter an issue they will have your back. :)

Well guys after much deliberation, I have decided to go with the Duke 3 in best! I just feel like the knot size on the Chubby 2 was going to be too big. I might get one later on in life just to experience the icon lather machine that it is. I Just ordered the Duke 3 this morning from West Coast Shaving and might get it by the weekend! Thank you all for your advice and knowledge!

Congrats, the Duke is an iconic Simpson brush and I'm sure you will enjoy it. My prediction however, is that you will eventually have a Chubby 2 as well!!! Enjoy your new brush.

Top Bottom