What's new

Thin blue smoke thread- BBQ Summer 2009

Brisket is one of the hardest things to get right on a BBQ.
There are a lot of great ways to get a good brisket or shoulder clod done.

There is a few folks in Texas that, after about 80 years, have a few things figured out. I have been using this technique and recommend it highly.

I wrote this page for another site and it captures the essence of my brisket -

Texas Style Hi Heat Brisket

I keep it simple, I don’t analyze the process too much, I don’t fuss with it. For me BBQ is just meat, fire and wood-smoke.

The Meat:

I try to get a fresh, flexible one, as large as I can fit on my Stumps Baby. I don’t worry too much if it’s a little long, it will shrink quickly when it starts to warm up.

I wash and pat dry the brisket.
I trim the hard fat to 1/2-3/8 inch or so thick, better to leave some extra fat on than to take too much off.

The Rub:

My rub for brisket is always about 2-3 parts coarse pepper to 1 part medium coarse sea salt. I add some dry mustard and some red chili pepper in the rub for color.

I rub the brisket down gently, paying particular attention to the ends, sides and any cuts or cracks. I use a restaurant bus tray with a wire rack in the bottom- it captures the mess and makes moving the brisket around easy. Cover and put the brisket away overnight.
I usually prep one day, then cook the next.

The Fire and Wood:

I pre heat the Stumps Baby to 275 until I get very thin smoke and the box temperature is very stable. I think this is an important step, make sure your smoke is not acrid. Smell it and pay attention- if it burns your nose it will taste the same.
I burn RO lump or Wicked Good lump charcoal. I add 2 baseball- sized chunks of wood to the ash pan, one of black cherry, the other white oak. I have had very good luck with hickory and use it when it is available to me.

The Cook:

Assuming we have a full sized Brisket 16-18 lbs or so-
If the rub seems thin or has been knocked off- I reapply before I put the meat in the smoker.
Place cold meat fat cap down, (or facing the heat.) I put a tray of water on the bottom of the smoker where the outlet for the firebox is located.
Try to place the tray so fat does not drip into it. If fat collects in the tray it can go on fire. Don’t open the cooking chamber after this step.

A couple of hours into the cook I fill up the charcoal chute add a couple of more chunks of wood to the ash pan. I raise the temperature to 325. Don’t open the cooking chamber.

After 4 more hours- 6 hours into the cook, take a look, flip the meat - check the meat with your probe. I use a broken thermometer probe for this. The expression “it goes in like butter” captures what you are looking for. The resulting probing will let you know how much longer. This is where your experience comes in. The brisket can go from almost done to done very quickly at this stage. So be ready.

When the meat is ready to come out of the cooker I place it on a baking tray with a wire rack and tent some foil over it.

Wait at least 2 hours before slicing.

No mater how great your brisket is a dull knife will not show it off to its best advantage. This is of course, most critical to you men who are competing. Your knife should be shaving sharp. A good slicing knife is a tool and an investment as well as a joy to use.

Is this the only way to get a great brisket? No, I don’t believe so. Is it the simplest? Well that may be true. It does work well for me and it has made BBQ a lot more satisfying and relaxing. Give it a try. (But don’t open that door.)

Last edited:
Here is a brisket that's resting before cooking on Saturday. I scored the fat cap and rubbed it (including into the scored fat) with a mix of:

4 parts brown sugar
2 parts each of paprika, mustard powder, and black pepper
1 part each of garlic powder, onion powder, cayene pepper
1/2 part each of oregano, thyme, celery seed

On Saturday, the plan is 225 degrees, flipping every 2 hours, sop it after 4 hours every 1/2 hour, take it off at 185 degrees, let rest for at least 1 hour before slicing 1/4" thick.

Whatcha think? Do you have other suggestions for me?

If there is one thing that I have picked up about BBQ is that let the meat tell you when its ready, be it 190- or 205- if you cannot put a proble in "like butter" no resistance,then its not ready.

Brisket is one of the hardest things to get right on a BBQ.
There are a lot of great ways to get a good brisket or shoulder clod done.

There is a few folks in Texas that, after about 80 years, have a few things figured out. I have been using this technique and recommend it highly.

I wrote this page for another site and it captures the essence of my brisket -

Texas Style Hi Heat Brisket

I keep it simple, I don’t analyze the process too much, I don’t fuss with it. For me BBQ is just meat, fire and wood-smoke.

The Meat:

I try to get a fresh, flexible one, as large as I can fit on my Stumps Baby. I don’t worry too much if it’s a little long, it will shrink quickly when it starts to warm up.

I wash and pat dry the brisket.
I trim the hard fat to 1/2-3/8 inch or so thick, better to leave some extra fat on than to take too much off.

The Rub:

My rub for brisket is always about 2-3 parts coarse pepper to 1 part medium coarse sea salt. I add some dry mustard and some red chili pepper in the rub for color.

I rub the brisket down gently, paying particular attention to the ends, sides and any cuts or cracks. I use a restaurant bus tray with a wire rack in the bottom- it captures the mess and makes moving the brisket around easy. Cover and put the brisket away overnight.
I usually prep one day, then cook the next.

The Fire and Wood:

I pre heat the Stumps Baby to 275 until I get very thin smoke and the box temperature is very stable. I think this is an important step, make sure your smoke is not acrid. Smell it and pay attention- if it burns your nose it will taste the same.
I burn RO lump or Wicked Good lump charcoal. I add 2 baseball- sized chunks of wood to the ash pan, one of black cherry, the other white oak. I have had very good luck with hickory and use it when it is available to me.

The Cook:

Assuming we have a full sized Brisket 16-18 lbs or so-
If the rub seems thin or has been knocked off- I reapply before I put the meat in the smoker.
Place cold meat fat cap down, (or facing the heat.) I put a tray of water on the bottom of the smoker where the outlet for the firebox is located.
Try to place the tray so fat does not drip into it. If fat collects in the tray it can go on fire. Don’t open the cooking chamber after this step.

A couple of hours into the cook I fill up the charcoal chute add a couple of more chunks of wood to the ash pan. I raise the temperature to 325. Don’t open the cooking chamber.

After 4 more hours- 6 hours into the cook, take a look, flip the meat - check the meat with your probe. I use a broken thermometer probe for this. The expression “it goes in like butter” captures what you are looking for. The resulting probing will let you know how much longer. This is where your experience comes in. The brisket can go from almost done to done very quickly at this stage. So be ready.

When the meat is ready to come out of the cooker I place it on a baking tray with a wire rack and tent some foil over it.

Wait at least 2 hours before slicing.

No mater how great your brisket is a dull knife will not show it off to its best advantage. This is of course, most critical to you men who are competing. Your knife should be shaving sharp. A good slicing knife is a tool and an investment as well as a joy to use.

Is this the only way to get a great brisket? No, I don’t believe so. Is it the simplest? Well that may be true. It does work well for me and it has made BBQ a lot more satisfying and relaxing. Give it a try. (But don’t open that door.)

Bless you, Jim. Thanks for such a great post.

This is not recommended for gas grills!!

Prep the meat the night before cooking.

Trim the fat from the brisket so that you have 1/8" to 1/4" layer.

Step 1 - The Rub

3 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 table spoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne powder

Mix together thoroughly in a small bowl. Set aside 1/4 of the mix. Rub the rest generously all over the brisket. Wrap the brisket in saran wrap and place in fridge overnight.

Step 2 - The Sop

Some people like to sop, others don't. I do because it keeps the meat moist. If you prefer a super crunchy brisket, skip the sop.

12 oz. beer (cheap American lager, not the good imported stuff)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 white onion coarsely chopped.
3 cloves garlic pressed
1/4 of the rub mix

Prepare all of the sop ingredients in a saucepot about an hour before you begin cooking. Simmer over low heat. You will want to keep the sop warm during the entire time it takes to cook the brisket. If you have a smoker with a firebox on the side, set the saucepot on the top of the firebox. Otherwise keep it warm on the stove.

Step 3 - Cook

Take the brisket from the fridge about 1 hour before you are ready to cook to allow it to reach room temperature.

Prepare your fire like you normally do. This is the important part - DO NOT USE SOAKED WOOD CHIPS. Use big ol' hunks of whatever wood you prefer. Wet wood imparts a bitter smoke to the meat. Big ol' hunks will provide a steady smoke over an extended period of time.

Cook LOW AND SLOW. Cook at 225-250 degrees. Times will vary depending on your ability to control the smoker. Use a mop or brush to apply the sop every 25-30 minutes. Turn the brisket once every hour or more frequently if your smoker runs hot. The brisket is done when you have reached an internal temperature of 185 degrees (6 to 8 hours depending on your smoker).

Remove from the fire and wrap in foil. Let the brisket sit for an hour before slicing.

Most Texans will eat their brisket dry. If you feel it necessary to ruin yours with barbecue sauce, be my guest. Slice across the grain. Serve with sliced onions, pickles, jalapenos and sliced white bread. Coleslaw and potato salad optional.

I think I put it all in here. Feel free to ask questions.

My advice: plan for a lot more time than you need. It is better to be done early and have it rest than scramble at the end or delay dinner. I do mine low and slow between 225 and 250 degrees, and it will take 90 minutes per pound easily to get to my target temp of 190 degrees internal. Keep it simple with S&P, maybe some Colemans dry mustard and brown sugar. No mop needed, IMO, though I may foil it later in the cook depending on how things are going.

Good luck!

Thanks all for your advice. I think I'm going to give Jims a try. If I remember I'll post pics.

Bless you, Jim. Thanks for such a great post.

+1 well written, fantastic!

I pretty much use Jim's method except for the probing. I don a heavy latex glove and probe with my thumb. After gaining a little experience doing this it's pretty easy to tell if the brisket is done.By the way,great recipes guys!

One piece of advice when dealing with cooking times: Use caution when suggesting minutes per pound.... For example, a whole brisket will take just as long to cook as a half of that same brisket (even though it's 1/2 the weight) because it's the same thickness, density, fat content, etc...

A 2' x 2' piece of meat that's 1" thick might weigh 8 pounds, but cook in 20 minutes. Whereas a 6" x 6" piece of meat that 6" thick might weigh 2 pounds, but cooks in 3 hours.

I did a simple cook tonight with some pork chops, coated with Blue's Hog Sauce and some grilled zucs and yellow squash.

Susan added a nice salad.

proxy.php

This is my last cook until Labor Day weekend (poor me), because I am going on three weeks vacation (whoopee) to New Zealand and Australia (WOW!)

Do ya think I am going to find any good lamb down there?

I will be following the cooks and the shaves when I can get connected to the Internet.

OK, so tonight it was Beer Can Chicken. This was my second stab at this easy grilled treat. I didn't get any pics the first time. It tasted great but no pics.

This time I got a before (in the kitchen) and after grilling (on the grill) shot. My wife just kept going on and on about how moist it was. It really might have been the best chicken I've had in a very very long time. I used the Tasty Licks Poultry Rub along with some added fresh ground pepper and sea salt. Oh and the beer was Corona (had it left over from a get together a while ago) transferred into a can. Not too often you'll hear a person who wanted to take the beer out of the bottle and put it in a can!

Tonight was pulled pork, cooked long and slow. The smoker is working out really well. Served the pork with cornbread, coleslaw and a nice simple East Carolina vinegar sauce.

Ok gents, lets see your favorite Brisket routines/recipes! I enjoy brisket but I've never tackled one. My wife just picked up a half cut (about 3lbs) and wants me to do it up this weekend. Any/all advice will be much appreciated.

Just dyin' to know how the brisket turned out. That yardbird looked pretty good, too.

Just dyin' to know how the brisket turned out. That yardbird looked pretty good, too.

Apologies all. I basically followed Jim's suggestions/recipe (just scaled down to 4lbs) and it turned out pretty good. This was my first Brisket on the smoker so I don't feel bad at all about the outcome. The taste was absolutely fantastic but it was slightly more done than I prefer. My wife said it was perfect, but she eats most red meat Med Well to Well.

Anyway, it was cooked evenly through, looked great and tasted even better. That said, what can I do next time to yield an even more tender brisket?

Apologies all. I basically followed Jim's suggestions/recipe (just scaled down to 4lbs) and it turned out pretty good. This was my first Brisket on the smoker so I don't feel bad at all about the outcome. The taste was absolutely fantastic but it was slightly more done than I prefer. My wife said it was perfect, but she eats most red meat Med Well to Well.

Anyway, it was cooked evenly through, looked great and tasted even better. That said, what can I do next time to yield an even more tender brisket?

If you want to BBQ it it will be beyond well done. Regular grilling well done would be 165 degrees internal- BBQ you bring it to 190 or 200 -use the probe test to tell when to take it off the smoker, not time or temps.

Question about the Beer can chicken, I've seen it mentioned before at a number of diffrent palces, I want to try it which I will do sometime next week if the answer to my question is a yes, lol

Could you do it in an Oven? take all the racks out, heat it up high and then pop the chicken in standing up? I don't have a BBQ, wouldn't mind one though, but not now seeing as I won't be here to use it for a year, lol

But, yeah, can I use the oven instead of BBQ?

Question about the Beer can chicken, I've seen it mentioned before at a number of diffrent palces, I want to try it which I will do sometime next week if the answer to my question is a yes, lol

Could you do it in an Oven? take all the racks out, heat it up high and then pop the chicken in standing up? I don't have a BBQ, wouldn't mind one though, but not now seeing as I won't be here to use it for a year, lol

But, yeah, can I use the oven instead of BBQ?

You certainly can. Here's one possible recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/big-buds-beer-can-chicken-recipe/index.html

Last edited:
I have a 14.8 lb brisket on right now-

0945- 200 degrees with black cherry and white oak.

1245- added more white oak- upped the temps to 325.

Top Bottom