What's new

Thin blue smoke thread- BBQ Summer 2009

Post your BBQ and grilled succeses! Got a low and slow question? post away. Gassers post at your own risk!

So WHATS COOKIN'?

My FIL has a smoker that he has offered me. It is one of the relatively cheap ones, tall and skinny, possibly electric but not sure. What could I do with this thing if I brought it into my backyard? Second question, what else can I do with my Weber kettle besides straight up grilling?

Dang Jim. When I saw the title of this post, I thought you were talking about popping the cap on a bottle of home brew!

Regards, Todd

I've been playing around with charcoals thanks to Jim's prodding. I have been really impressed with Stubb's briquettes, available at Lowes. They smell just like real wood, burn hot and long, and have little ash. I prefer them to the Kingsford Competition briquettes I have been trying as well.

Is there such thing as charcoal acquisition disorder? My garage would say so.... :rolleyes:

My FIL has a smoker that he has offered me. It is one of the relatively cheap ones, tall and skinny, possibly electric but not sure. What could I do with this thing if I brought it into my backyard? Second question, what else can I do with my Weber kettle besides straight up grilling?

Dennis,
The brinkman smokers, which is what it sounds like your FIL has, can be very challenging to get to work properly. There are some tutorials at the BBQ websites on modifications that need to be made to them, mostly in the fire pan area and sealing some of the holes up.

Your Weber is a great tool and cooking indirectly and adding wood to the fire can give some very good results.
I am not sure I would want to smoke a 18 lb packer on it, but a few racks of ribs or chuck steak is well within the realm of doable.

Kicking off the new thead for your consideration-

A hi heat Texas style brisket

full

full

full

:001_smile

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see that I'm going to have to make sure I eat before I read this thread, or I'll become hungry!

Beautiful photo, Jim!
I do my BBQ with briquettes and soaked wood chips. While I love beef and pork (and chicken), I really prefer fish. Salmon, halibut, tuna, and swordfish, grilled simply on a hot grill, cannot be beat!

PS: Jim, can I invite myself over for dinner?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I just got a Webber Kettle after using a second hand gas grill for a couple years and I love it. At first I thought that temperature control would be hard, but have since realized it's just a matter of placing the coals and moving the food to hotter/cooler spots on the grill.

I've got a butt lined up for this weekend to make some pulled pork. What is the conventional wisdom for wrapping it in foil for part of its life in the smoker? I have done it in the past by leaving it unwrapped until about 170 degrees internal, then finishing it wrapped to keep in moisture. I like the quality of the meat this way, but the bark is affected. Any thoughts?

I've got a butt lined up for this weekend to make some pulled pork. What is the conventional wisdom for wrapping it in foil for part of its life in the smoker? I have done it in the past by leaving it unwrapped until about 170 degrees internal, then finishing it wrapped to keep in moisture. I like the quality of the meat this way, but the bark is affected. Any thoughts?

Its no secret that I am not a foil fan i don't foil anything on the smoker, but many are great proponents of it. I guess I am pounding the same old nail, I leave it alone, I dont fuss with it. Have a great cook. :001_smile

It wasn't low and sow, but last night, I grilled a large flat iron steak on the BGE that was tasty. I made up "wet rub" with chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, garlic, kosher salt, and some apple cider vinegar, smeared it on both sides, and put it in the fridge for about 3 hours. Grilled it over lump until it was medium rare, then sliced it thin. It was gone very quickly. I should have taken a pic...it was a thing of beauty, and tasted even better. I'm planning on smoked chickens with the previously mentioned white bbq sauce on Sunday.

Its no secret that I am not a foil fan i don't foil anything on the smoker, but many are great proponents of it. I guess I am pounding the same old nail, I leave it alone, I dont fuss with it. Have a great cook. :001_smile

I don't use foil either, but I know some folks will take their briskets off the smoker after 12-14 hours or so, wrap them in foil, put them in a cooler, and cover them with folded towels.

Last edited:
It wasn't low and sow, but last night, I grilled a large flat iron steak on the BGE that was tasty. I made up "wet rub" with chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, garlic, kosher salt, and some apple cider vinegar, smeared it on both sides, and put it in the fridge for about 3 hours. Grilled it over lump until it was medium rare, then sliced it thin. It was gone very quickly. I should have taken a pic...it was a thing of beauty, and tasted even better. I'm planning on smoked chickens with the previously mentioned white bbq sauce on Sunday.

I don't use foil either, but I know some folks will take their briskets off the smoker after 12-14 hours or so, wrap them in foil, put them in a cooler, and cover them with folded towels.

The brisket cooler thing works very well! I've seen it done.

For my birthday I hope to pick up a 22" Webber Kettle.

I've mostly cooked over gas, but have always loved coal. Also used a Smoky Joe for about 2 years at my apartment. That little guy could make up some fine grilled meat. Just had to be careful since the grate was so close to the coals. :lol:

That is the conventional wisdom for sure, the Texas joints that are famous for their brisket cook at much higher temps and do full brisket packers in 6-8 hours. A good long rest at the end is very important no mater how you cook the meat. There is more than one way to skin a cat as is said.

Please take some photos of the Yardbird with the white sauce Scott.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That's creepy; even for you Jay. :eek:

I noticed from the articles that the first thing the town did to the owner when they found out about this was to make him pay $125 for a permit to advertise. Is it any wonder businesses are going under?

That is the conventional wisdom for sure, the Texas joints that are famous for their brisket cook at much higher temps and do full brisket packers in 6-8 hours. A good long rest at the end is very important no mater how you cook the meat. There is more than one way to skin a cat as is said.

Please take some photos of the Yardbird with the white sauce Scott.

If I wanted to do a high-temp brisket on the Egg, how high would I go? Should I use the deflector or not?

Will do on the pics.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

The bark may be bad, but it's worse than what you actually bite.

Top Bottom